Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 8:36:40 PM EDT
So, if you go to see your doctor and tell him that you are depressed....and he prescribes something for it....do you lose your gun buying privleges? Wouldn't you have to check YES on the yellow form? How does this work?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
No only if you are on non-prescription illeagal depressants or stimulants, adjudicated mentally defective, or have been commited to a mental institution.

BMW founded. Charlie Chaplin signs the first million dollar movie contract. Lenin leads the Russian revolution. British royal family changes name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor. The war tank is introduced, at the Battle of Cambrai. The airplane is used to drop bombs, in Belgium.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No only if you are on non-prescription illeagal depressants or stimulants, adjudicated mentally defective, or have been commited to a mental institution.
View Quote

gunrunner's got it right.  i mean think about it, with the trend towards diagnosing a sad day as clinical depression the way it was going, nobody would be legally allowed to buy firearms.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...with the trend towards diagnosing a sad day as clinical depression the way it was going, nobody would be legally allowed to buy firearms.
View Quote

Hmmmmmm.....maybe that is their plan......

i hate antigunners.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#4]
The answer might technically be "no" but why risk it?  Where is the line between "depression" and "clinically depressed to where you might be a threat to yourself or others"?   I think it's a very fine line, that you would probably have to go to court to have determined.

Say you see the doc for depression, get a prescription, while paying for your prescription you appear nervous and your CCW, gun permit, or some other telling sign you own guns falls out of your wallet.  Depending on which area you live in, don't some states still have the narc on your neighbor if they guns programs, you might be getting a visit from the local PD who will want to hold on to your firearms until you are "better".

In today's world this is a possibility.

Now if you are depressed, to the point where you need to see a doctor, then I say it becomes questionable about having firearms at your immediate access.  Let's face it, it's not the happy people who have everything to live for that take themselves out, it's the people who are depressed.

One of my mom's friends is bi-polar and very depressed about it.  She was on suicide watch before Christmas and then seemed to be better.  Then last week she tried to kill her self by taking an overdose on pills.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If your seeking help because you know somethings wrong.Then you are not likley a danger to yourself or anyone else.The immediate access to guns is so much bullshit.It may stop a miniscule amount of suicides.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are seeing a doc because YOU feel the need, it doesn't mean that you cannot have guns.
If it did, my command would have put my weapons in the armory when I was in bad shape. Instead, I had my NCOIC hold them for me. When I felt that I cold handle them again, I got them back.
THe yellow form is for FORCED instutionilazition, not voluntary.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If your seeking help because you know somethings wrong.Then you are not likley a danger to yourself or anyone else.
View Quote

So my mom's friend who was getting help because something was wrong, was no threat to herself or anyone else....even though she just recently tried to kill herself?  That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

If you have problems that you can't solve yourself and need to seek professional help to get you "fixed", then the question of immediate gun access should be considered.  Not because guns are bad, just simply as a precaution.  If someone really wants to take themselves out, they will find a way.  The use of firearms in suicide is very fast and usually final.  Whereas other methods such as an overdose of medicine can take hours and is fully recoverable.

The family of my mom's friend was keeping an eye on her and making sure there were no extra prescription pills available.  They must have missed some because that is what she overdosed on.  Perhaps they became lax because she kept saying she wouldn't do anything like that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
You said your moms friend was depressed because she was bipolar.That serious.No way would I leave a firearm,medication or even a sharp stick around someone with this.They are prone to sudden bouts of irrational thought.Just because a person is depressed are they going to pick up a gun and blow there brains or someone elses out.What I was saying is dave223 knows somethings not as right as it should be.He wants to seek help.I hope you do dave.I dont think that make him the least bit irrational,just the opposite.

I hope everything works out for your moms friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top