Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 4:14:33 PM EDT
I saw the "guns that dont float my boat" and couldnt resist this post.

I own one benchmade MelPardue design that has the aluminum black oxided handle and ATS-34 blade. Its the best knife I have. My previous love were my Spyderco's but my benchmade blows them away.

Knives I hate are:
Cheap Spyderco lookalikes
Those $100 200 peice specials you see on the Home Shopping Network and the sales man says stuff like "folks these are high quality peices made with the most advanced polymers and metals and are cnc designed. This is a once in a lifetime deal folks...buy em quick cause they are almost sold out"(all the flea market and gun show vendors are buying these knives up.)
I also hate those space age 15" bowie knives with the multicolored wood patterns, spikes and saw blade-like extensions comming off of every surface.
I also hate those cheap switch blades you see at the flea market sold by the guy with the mullet and ketchup stains all over his cammo t-shirt. A group of young white hillbilly gangsta's are drooling over these kives.
Another weird knife catagory is the samuri swords and such. It seems like the collectors of these peices are off a little bit. But these guys also buy up the numbchucks and throwing stars...theyre also in their late 20's.
In any event flea markets and gun shows are great places to find cheap, china made knives and swords and theres never a shortage of hillbilly gangstas or ninja wantabee's to buy them up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you seen that big-assed Klingon thing that they sell all over gun shows now?

Same catagory!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Cant say Ive seen that one. Theres always some outlandish design though. The same guy that sells these is selling plastic pellet guns, blow darts, stun guns, animal food, candles, oakley knock-off sunglasses, and computer software 10 years old.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have you seen that big-assed Klingon thing that they sell all over gun shows now?

Same catagory!
View Quote

You mean the thing with the two smaller blades that protrude at the hilt?

Edited to add: Something like this?

[img]http://www.erols.com/armorer/fantasy.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything made by Frost Cuttlery.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything with cheap steel.  There's so much crap out there that will either roll the edge, won't hold an edge, or won't take an edge.  If it's not good steel (ATS-34/154CM/D2/BG2/etc.), I'll pass.  I think it falls into that catefory of "you get what you pay for", and I don't mind paying for quality.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same catagory!
View Quote

You mean the thing with the two smaller blades that protrude at the hilt?

Edited to add: Something like this?

Nope, it's that HUGE battle ax thing that looks like a sickle with out the handle....any trekkies out there that can help us out?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
2 words:

Hibbon
Gil
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
k, found the blade I'm talking about...they call it a bat'leth...here's a link to see what I'm talking about...

[url]www.saunalahti.fi/veijot/pics/weapons.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
2 words:

Hibbon
Gil
View Quote

Beat me to it.  I had a guy in my Army unit (years ago) who bought one of the original Buckmaster knives.  Remember these?  Two pounds of Aluminum and steel, with little "grappling hooks" on the hilt.  He insisted that he could use it to climb with (imagine throwing that straight up into the air).  Anyway, he dropped it on a short patrol in Michigan back in 1986, and he spent the rest of the patrol begging us to go back for it ;)
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
To me, Ontario's "spec-plus" series of knives is just about the best bunch of utility knives around. For $40, you get a knife that will meet or beat many of the other brands.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Anything by CRKT, Kershaw, Smith&Wesson,...in addition to all the above mentioned.

Any "Commemorative" or "Special Edition" crap found on full page ads in magazines. OUTTA HERE!

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]
[img]www.saunalahti.fi/veijot/pics/battelh.gif[/img]

Come on...ya' gotta love a knife that looks like this!  NOT [:D]

medcop
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:11:28 AM EDT
[#14]
As long as you guys aren't knocking Brend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top