Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 3:34:56 PM EDT
This was a good book, let's hope Hollywood doesn't screw it up !

[url]http://www.empiremovies.com/movies/2002/weweresoldiers.shtml[/url]

(edited to correct link, OPPSS! )
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.empiremovies.com/movies/2002/weweresoldiers.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a very good book. Similar to "Black Hawk Down", in that it gives a minute to minute account of one of the most important battles in the war in Vietnam. I also hope that they do not screw it up. I would also challenge all who read this to also read the book,you won't regret it.

wabi
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about an Aussie acting as an American  Southerner.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought he did a pretty dang good job of portraying a yankee....
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the better books I have ever read... And i do read a lot.
The best war novel I have ever read is " The Thirteenth Valley" Dont remember the author... any one got a clue??
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

slightly off topic, what about the aussie comedian in BHD?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, Mel Gibson was born in NY, he just owns a ranch in Australia.  The director of this movie is the same guy that wrote Braveheart.  That movie wasn't 100% factually accurate, but he and Gibson did a good job IMO.  The guy that co-wrote the book was a reporter for AP and witnessed the aftermath of the battle.  Interesting movie to see...
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually, Mel Gibson was born in NY, he just owns a ranch in Australia.
View Quote

He did go to NIDA which is the acting and directing school (i think) down here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#10]
He was born in Brooklyn, New York, but his family moved to Australia when he was about five or so and he grew up there. He came back here after fame in [i]Gallipoli[/i] and the [i]Mad Max[/i] series of films. Limeys and Aussies generally do a superb job of southern accents as opposed to yankee Americans.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:22:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Braveheart.  That movie wasn't 100% factually accurate,
View Quote

That's putting it mildly... just about everything in the movie Braveheart IS fiction, or at least bastardised history, fit to suit the movie like a corpse whose legs were sawn off to fit better into a dwarf's coffin.

but he and Gibson did a good job IMO.
View Quote

Yeah, just like in the Patriot. REALLY historically accurate...[rolleyes]

I will concede this- both movies were very stirring and very entertaining, BUT the uneducated fools, AKA products of boring PC public school history classes ("like, this is so bo-ring, teach") think this stuff is real, even if they say they don't care.
"From the sublime to the ridiculous is but a step."
- --Napoleon Bonaparte, after his calamitous retreat from Moscow
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Mel is 100% American. His parents just moved to Australia to work when he was young, and he picked up the accent.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One of the better books I have ever read... And i do read a lot.
The best war novel I have ever read is " The Thirteenth Valley" Dont remember the author... any one got a clue??
View Quote

That was a good one too.
the auther was  John M.  Del Vecchio, I think.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Aloha,
It was Delvecchio. If I can add my 2 cents for good vietnam war reading....
Nonfiction:
"Hell in a Very Small Place, The Seige of Dien Bien Phu" by Bernard Fall
"A Bright Shining Lie" by Neil Sheehan

Fiction:
"Going After Cacciato" and "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien
"A Rumor of War", by Philip Caputo
and lastly..."Fields of Fire" by James Webb

There are my picks, not a stinker in the bunch.... Does anyone have any others"

wabi
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#15]
A Rumor of War is NOT fiction, IIRC, it is Caputo's autobigraphical account of his war experiences, including a court martial.

The Short Timers ROCKS, Gustav Hasford, you'll recognize Ful Metal Jacket.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Aloha,
Citadelgrad87 you are correct. Mahalo for pointing that out. It has been a long time since I read it, and I had forgotten..

wabi
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Aloha,
Citadelgrad87 you are correct. Mahalo for pointing that out. It has been a long time since I read it, and I had forgotten..

wabi
View Quote

Well, for fiction, there is the classic which I am partial to, "The Green Berets" by Robin Moore, who recently went to Afghanistan to gather material for a new book.  "The Devil's Guard" about Waffen SS soldiers forced into the Foreign Legion serving in Indochina was excellent.  Also liked "The Five Fingers" about an assasination team sent after Ho.  I liked Giap's book but for all its connection to reality, it might as well be fiction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top