Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2002 2:40:41 PM EDT
… Preferably, I’m looking for about 24 feet off a 36” wide bolt.

… If I cannot buy that amount does anyone have interest in going in on a group purchase on a whole roll?
(fixed symbols)
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This the right stuff?

[url]http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=aramidpbi&desc=Kevlar+Fabric[/url]

They sell 40" wide sheet by the foot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 13 sheets of 4' x 8' 5/16" rigid kevlar.

Christmas tree lights are introduced by Edison General Electric Co. The first facelift is performed by Eugene Hollander in Berlin on a Polish aristocrat. First time getaway car is used by 3 bank robbers in Paris.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Winston_Wolf:

Try "CST" (Composite Structures Technology), their website: [url]www.cstsales.com[/url]

They have everything you're looking for, including epoxy resins, vaccuum bagging materials, etc.

Hope this helps,
havoc
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
MR WOLF,
I just wanted to ask, what are you going to do with the kevlar?
i had an idea to make kevlar boxers a few years back :)
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
MR WOLF,
I just wanted to ask, what are you going to do with the kevlar?
i had an idea to make kevlar boxers a few years back :)
View Quote

... I've come up with a design for a ballistic vest friendly with the use of a LBV.
In this case the matrix will be the key, also I'm developing a process for preforming the fiber for a more custom fit to my "contours".

... Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Do not apply any resin to the kevlar. This will reduce the ballistic properties. Spectra fiber from Honeywell (developed by the company they bought out who I can't remeber at the moment)would be the hot ticket if you can get your hands on it. I think it is only available to those "in the trade".
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do not apply any resin to the kevlar. This will reduce the ballistic properties. Spectra fiber from Honeywell (developed by the company they bought out who I can't remeber at the moment)would be the hot ticket if you can get your hands on it. I think it is only available to those "in the trade".
View Quote

... You, Sir, are correct!  I plan on using a relatively soft modulus matrix of "Hot Glue".

.. You are right, you don't want the fiber to shear (as it would with a tough resin) but rather deflect in a bending moment finally transforming the Kevlar and trapping the projectile exploiting the materials' superb tensile properties.
Ah, after hours engineeing projects while sipping red wine.

... Too fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top