Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 10:29:28 AM EDT
Just wondering if any of the members have any ex
perience with reflex or holographic sights? Thanks in advance for any feedback.          
(sniper)

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have some experience.

IME, they're only really good within 100 yards.  Personally, if you're keeping things within 100 yards, I don't see why your iron sights would slow you down.  

They're neat toys, and maybe they help some people... but they aren't really worth the $300 to me.

Beyond 100 yards, get a scope.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The are GREAT... If you are shooting tactical short range.

MUCH faster than any other kind of sight.  
The shot goes where the dot is no matter how your eye is positioned.

The tascos are very good but use batteries.  The best thing about the Reflex is that is uses no batteries and even works at night with tritium.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The Holosight- was a potential buy for me but the idea that you could not change reticules on the the newer and more compact model was idiotic. What kinda new and improved is that? But the newer model is available in Night Vision Compatible.
AimPoint- Was going to buy this but like the Holosight it is not legal (maybe not anymore) for the SOF magazine 3gun match. It to needs batteries, and newer models are also night vision compatible.
Reflex II - Is what I did purchase 12.5MOA triangle sight. Very fast, no canting, no batteries, in use with special forces and a smaller profile on the rifle. Plus its 3 gun match legal.
Just my 2 cents........[argue]

JerrY
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You bet.

[url]http://communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/opticssights.msnw[/url]

Reviews of:

Contender 6-24x 50mm  BSA Optics  

Forward Optic Mount  Leapers, Inc (China)  

2nd Generation Riser Mount  Tapco Inc.  

ACOG 4x32 NSN  Trijicon Inc.  

AR-15 4x20 Carry Handle Scope  Leapers, Inc (China)  

AR15/M16 Same Plane Rear Sight  AO Sight Systems  

C-MORE Tactical Red Dot Sight  C-MORE Systems  

COMP-M XD  Aimpoint  

ELCAN  Ernst Leitz of Canada  

Falcon  Elbit  

OKO Dot Sight  OKO (Czech Republic)  

Propoint Plus PDP5CMP  Tasco  

Reflex & Reflex 2 A.C.O.G.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Reflex II here w/ the 12.5 triangle. When using the top tip of the triangle as a aiming point I really supprised myself at 100yds. I had NO idea I could shoot 1.5" without any magnification. I was very very happy with the purchase.Got the ARMS mount to hang it out front of the carry handle. That's a nice mount to, as is most all ARMS stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Reflex I I like it pretty well, but I am changing out for a C-more for my 3-gun competitions.  The Reflex can wash out even with the polarizing filter if the sun is at a low angle and you are shooting towards it.  I also am not at all hapy about its lack of dot brightness.  I do like, however, the lack of nee for batteries.

Basically, if you are wanting it to use as a home defensive sight, I think it s VERY slick.  If you are plannignt to compete with it, I woudl shy away from the Reflex and go with a C-more.  The Holosights are also nice, but I'd opt for the EOtech sight.  It is really a REALLY beefed up Holosight.   Impact Guns sells the basic C-More Railway for about $200.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using a Reflex II for a while now... I love the damn thing.  I can't say I'm shooting as well as FireFighterEd at 100 yards, but I did try shooting out to the scope's recommended max of 300 yds and I was able to easily and consistantly hit man sized targets in the torso.

It depends on what kind of rifle you're putting it on, but anything like a carbine, SMG or other close-up weapon, the reflex II is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to agree with Gunbert and Firefighter Ed concerning the Reflex II.  I've gotten sub 2 MOA at 100 yards and about 4-5 MOA at 250 with no problem.  I think that the triagular optic is a must in order to be able to hit with this type of accuracy out to 300 yards.  I don't have my Reflex mounted on a flat-top so looking through my iron sights to see the recticle takes additional time to make a shot.  When I had a Bushmaster V-Match Carbine, I had a standard Reflex, but could make shots out to about 250 yards on mansize targets withing seconds of each other.  If you want to really get the most out of these optics, put them on a flat-top to take advantage of their speed for quick engagements.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I too have the Reflex II 12.5 MOA Triangle, I really like it though I'm still in the process of getting used to useing it.  I also highly recommend the ARMS mount it detaches quickly if you have other optics to use on the same gun and returns to zero.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Reflex II 12.5MOA triangle, ARMS15 mount, Armalite M15A4.  I use the tip of the triangle for a 300M BZO (POA = POI), and can hit torso sized targets out to 400M using a neck and shoulders hold from a steady position.  There is the issue of the reticle washing out if you are in a dark area and your target is well lit, but you can use the polarized filter to block out the light and by shooting with both eyes open still get hits out to at least 200M.  At night, it beats the crap out of irons, and since it does not use batteries it is darn near fool proof.  With close encounters it is wicked fast!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with the comments re: the Reflex II with 12.5 triangle.

I do have complaints bout the washout/loss of light.  I find it a serious short coming and an considering options to replace the reflex with a low power ACOG.

I shoot on a military type qual range out to 500 meteres at pop up shiloutes and find the sight is as accurate, but faster than irons out to around 175-200 meteres.  From 250- on out it is about a toss up between irons and the Reflex.  At longer ranges the pop ups are harder to see than they would be with irons due to the design of the sight.  

I've had problems shooting from dark to light at a covered range, due to the "dot" washing out and I've had problems on overcast days with the filter dimming the picture making target aquisition at longer ranges more difficult.

I like the unlimited eye relief of the Reflex and that is my concern with going to an ACOG, since some of them have really short eye relief.  In a situation where time counts, I don't want to have to worry too much with getting a perfectly refined shooting postion.  

I think there are a set of comprimises with most optics of this type out there.  Can you live with batteries?  Is a short eye relief a problem for you, will you ever really shoot indoors (Where the Reflex II sans the filter would be super).  I'm looking fo the set up that is the best comprimise across the widest possbile range of circumstances.  While the Reflex is darn good (and I may spen a lot of money to find out it's the best for my needs), I'm not yet sure it's the best comprimise for me.

As far as outdoors on a range, I know the ACOG's are just as fast as the Reflex at 25 meteres and give a lot better long range capability.  That may break down if you took the ACOG indoors where even minimal magnification may be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I love mine.  Like the guy said they are only good for around 100yards but it is awsome for quick shooting.  Like I said I love mine.[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top