Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2002 9:02:37 PM EDT
I'm new to XP, so forgive this simple question.

When I click on "Start", the menu pops up and on the very top right of the menu, Windows has stuck a thumbnail picture of some dork on a skateboard. It appears right next to my name.

Is there any way for me to change that picture without have to select the "Classic" start menu look, and removing it all together?

I like the new XP start menu, just hate the preinstalled photo. Can it be changed? If so...how?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to tell you, but XP has a built in characteristic detector and it selects the icon that closest resembles the current user. So actually that "dork" on the skateboard is Microsofts interpretation of you!

Just kidding....try clicking on the pic and you can pick a new one [:D]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that was so damn simple I'm sorry I didn't go with the obvious choice from the start. Thanks raf.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the Control Panel
Go to Users
Find your user name in there and change your picture from there.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I changed mine to the electric guitar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate to tell you, but XP has a built in characteristic detector and it selects the icon that closest resembles the current user. So actually that "dork" on the skateboard is Microsofts interpretation of you!

Just kidding....try clicking on the pic and you can pick a new one [:D]
View Quote

LOL!!!!!!

You made my day with that reply........
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#9]
My user icon is a Glock 21 with a pile of hollowpoints on my carpet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Try the "search" function under Windows Explorer - a little dog pops-up and does tricks.  I don't like cute things in my O/S but somebody at Microsoft has a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Haven't gotten that far to changing the pic.  I haven't even had the compter 1 week and the dang thing has had problems w/ Windows.  Bascially, call it a crash.  I don't know if it's the stuff I loaded not interacting righ tor what.  I posted today "Windows XP Home Edition- Ahhhhhh HELP"..... any comments ya can look and post there....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top