Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2001 11:31:13 AM EDT
Went to the range earlier today to conduct the AR15 reliability test. Attepting to prove (for myself, anyway), whether or not AR's are a "jamm-omatic" or not.
A few weeks ago I asked which AR I should go with. It escalated into an AR/AK debate (at ak-47.net) - big surprise. Anyway, Johannes stated that if I buy a Colt AR and it is in fact a "jamm-o-matic", he will buy me a case of 7.62 x 39. It was decided that, following initial barrel break-in, that anything over 1 JAM EVERY 150 ROUNDS would constitute a jamm-o-matic. I know what some may be thinking about those prerequisites (1 every 150!), but, that was taking into consideration that this was the first 600 rounds put through the rifle, and that a certain tolerance must be applied when considering the gradual "working out" of machined metal.
As honest and objective as is possible. I own both and have no particular "allegiance" to either AK or AR.
Please forgive the lack of shooting jargon. I'm going to keep my conclusion in layman's terms.
Okay so I'll turn into a Dork for a bit right now (make it sound official):
Time/Date: Monday afternoon - 5:00
Weather: light rain
Temperature: 42-45 degrees F.
Wind: Yeah, whatever
Mags used: 30 Rounders: 1 Sanchez/DSI (black follower), 1 Okay Ind., 4 Parson' Prec.
Ammo used: Winchester 55 gr. FMJ
Rifle: Colt AR15, Competition HBAR (20")
uhmmm...am I missing anything?

Allright, so anyway, there was a grand total of two jams.
1.First was on round number (approx.) 135. - Feed problem. Was using the Sanchez mag. Have since read the ones with the black followers have been known for failures. Other mags ran without a problem, except for the...
2.Second Failure (approx. round no. 450)was a failure to eject spent casing. Jammed the bolt.
In conclusion, the AR passed the stated test.
2 jams in 500 rounds. Incidently it didn't jam at all in the initial 100 "barrel break-in" rounds. So, technically: 2 jams in 600 rounds. Results should improve as the rifle continues to break in.
Again, I've tried to be as objective as possible.
What I've learned from this test is that both AK and AR have their strongpoints. Use whichever as the task requires.
Was very impressed with the AR's accuracy.
As I have always been impressed with the AK's relative infallability. Though I can't go so far as to say that my AK's have NEVER jammed as I've read some state there. In fact, I don't believe I've ever owned a gun that has NEVER jammed. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Who knows. Oh well, learn as you go, right?
I'd Like to thank Johannes:
First for steering me in the right direction as to which AR to purchase for my needs and...
Second, for coming through with his offer to assist in the testing-ammo cost.
He is a real stand-up guy. Trusted me enough to send someone he has never met money to run this test.
Allright, it's late and I gotta work tomorrow so later guys.
Hep
"Coal-Cracker"
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I took my Bushmaster 16" carbine down to Fox's last shoot in Virginia.

I fired 3 30 round mags at a time, total 90 rounds per firing session.  Rapid fire.

I let the gun cool (it was smoking hot) for a bit, and would go shoot again when some good targets were put out.

I shot 1400 rounds this way in about 4~5 hours.

No jams, no failures, no cleaning, no lubing, no troubles
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Jam: Needs to be fixed by an armorer.

Malfunction: can be fixed by the operator.

I have well over 20,000 rounds through my carbine and the only malfunctions I have ever had, I set up for training.

I have never had a jam and as our department armorer have only had to ever clear one jam when pieces parts came apart from the bolt catch and wedged themselves between the upper and the bolt carrier.

Almost all malfunctions I have witnessed have been shooter induced (did noy seat mag properly)
or were caused by a mag that needed to be pitched.

Hunter out..
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
good show, coal-cracker
I've been looking forward to those test results, having been involved in the fracas over there at AK.Kom...

Other comrades there just bought their first ARs too, I wonder how their testing goes. It's probably very frustrating for some to find that the AR is accurate AND reliable, and you don't actually have to put a quart of oil in them to make it run, and the mags are NOT made out of tinfoil, etc. etc. etc. That'll learn 'em to trash talk the AR!

Welcome to the dark side...
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jam: Needs to be fixed by an armorer.

Malfunction: can be fixed by the operator.

Okay, okay. You're gonna get technical on me (lol). Like I said in my initial post - I'm really not there yet with all the shooting jargon.
"Jam" was understood to mean "malfunction".
Guess it may have been misleading to some.
Still, thanks. I've have actually wondered if there was a difference and what the technical difference was.

Still, I am very please with this fine piece of machinery.  The versatily: what toys do I buy for it next? Hmmmm....
I never knocked the AR before (that I can recall), and if I did, I'm eating those words now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I ve shot about 900rds thru my Bushmaster M4 flat top carbine since i got it, ZERO malfunctions, been feeding it some hot .55gr. NATO ammo. Drops large peppers easily to 150m, have not shot steel targets at longer ranges. Gotta go out to the snow and try to practice some, the competition season starts here in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Okay, okay. You're gonna get technical on me (lol).

One thing about me coal-cracker I don't play the flame game and I never talk down to people, I was just passing along info, I can see by the manner in which you took the info you are not tripping over your ego. There is loads of information out there and the best steal what they need and increase their knowledge base.

I am glad I passed something along.

Now I am off to steal from others lol.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
DAMN, Troy,
7,000 rounds without a cleaning?!?
Not even a bore-snake, not once?
That's good to hear, I knew I loved my pet BM M4gery, now my love for her grows fonder...

Most claims like this I disregard but you are among the less than 10 people I believe without blinking an eye.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top