Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2002 4:28:15 PM EDT
I have been working on a Grandfather clock project. I'm building the case from a kit. I guess I must be about 25% done. Most of the large pieces are already together as you can see. Thanks for looking.

[img]http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00D/1A/35/A5/BF/DWjq5ZHKSYH+5UWvI4K6g5EE6bLjLs8n0180.jpg[/img]

And yes thats reloading 'stuff' behind the clock. I'll have to post some reloading pics sometime.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
:::Over Loud Speaker::: Put down the digital camera and step AWAY from the PC.  turn around and walk backwards to the sound of my voice:::

pretty soon you'll be posting pics of your socks [:D]

ps. I'm just jeleous because I can't stop buying gun stuff enough to get a Digi cam
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Am clearing out a spot in my living room now. Just UPS it to me when your done.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Impressive!

I’m wondering why the base appears a bit mottled?

Thanks for posting the vendor’s website in your prior thread.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Ever watch "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?"  Maybe you make that thing into a gun safe and keep a spring gun in your real safe...
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking case, is this kit from Emperor Clock?

I've been thinking about building one myself and would appreciate hearing more about it and how satisfied you are with the kit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, to answer your questions.

Yes it a kit from Emperor Clock. I still need to buy the movement. The case you see is large enough to hold any movement they make including their top of the line movement with brass tubular bells-drool.

199- I don't know why the pic looks mottled - must be the way the wood is reflecting the light. Looks OK in real life.

Still a buch of trim parts to install, final sand, stain, finish, mount glass, movement, etc.

Since a few of you seem interested I'll post another pic when I get farther along.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice looking case, is this kit from Emperor Clock?

I've been thinking about building one myself and would appreciate hearing more about it and how satisfied you are with the kit.
View Quote

Emporer has been great. One suggestion I have - don't rush, first thing you must do it ID and mark all your parts, including the screws. I separated the screws into a few baggies. This make it much easier later. I found I had one too many of a part and was missing another one. I called and they sent me the missing part - no problem.

You'll need about 4 long bar clamps - I borrowed these from my brother. He also loaned me 2 of those crazy looking clamps with wooden jaws - those are also helpful.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Piece of advise from a retired Master watchmaker/clockmaker.....Buy the movements where pros do....S. LaRose in Greenville, SC.
Their online at: www.slarose.com
Movements are usually on sale.  You may not get a cheaper price, but the movements are higher quality.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Father in-law been building one each year for the married kids for Christmas. We are the 4th to get ours, wifes younger brother got his out of sequence. Ours is still sitting at her folks since Christmas, makes maybe 5 chiming clocks there.

EDIT- Clock delivered Jan-24, around 8:00pm, casually pulled up this thread, for him to read, did not tell him who was who, he got here and recognized the story, and said I should edit to show he has 1 less clock at his place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top