Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2001 10:44:16 AM EDT
Does anyone know if switching from a 3/8 A2 dial to a 3/6 dial will have any effect on short and long range settings on a 16" Bbl.  I did not switch the entire rear sight, just the dial.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster told me you couldn't even do it, the parts weren't the same. Different dimensions, different trajectory setup.

I would swap'em back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is the situation.  The dial itself will interchange but the threads on the sight base are different so you have to use the same sight base and only change the dial. But I might need to change the aperatures also to get the correct trajectories. I could call BM but odds are they will tell the same thing they told you because they probably never tried it.  The old Colt carbines used 3/6 sights so their has to be a way to do it.  I got the 3/6 dial off one of their carryhandles and the sight aperature is different on their standard N/R handle.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone have a measurement from the machined ledge to the bottom of the large sight aperature?
BTT
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure where you want measured.

From the flat bottom part of my BM removable carry handle (the part that rests on the flattop receiver) to the bottom of the large apeture hole is about 1.25"
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#6]
fight 4yourrights, just spoke w/ BM and they said you would also have to switch the aperature to one of their carry handle aperatures to get the right trajectory.  Hope this helps you.
BTT
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking for the distance between the ledge above the "0-2" and the bottom of the aperature.  On my Colt it is about .09" and on my BM Rem. C/h it is around .07".  Bm said they use the same sight aperature for both fixed and removeable carry handles.  Does anyone have the above measurement for a fixed hanle BM?  Why would Colt use a diff rear ap on my pre ban Target? Besides the obvious reply "That's just COLT"?

BTT
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
My Bushmaster removable handle and fixed A2 look identical.

0.07 looks about right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
They are. I spoke w/ BM a second time and got someone a little better versed and willing to spend the time with my dilema.  They use the same aperature for both sights. Colt uses their own taller A2 aperature because the height of their handles is different than BM. Simply swapping the index disk will mess with the trajectory and switching the aperatures will require Elevating the front sight post nearly out of the housing( according to BM).  So they answer remains "THAT'S JUST COLT FOR YA!!!!!!"  Thanks for your info fight4yourrights much appreciated.

BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top