Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2002 9:07:50 AM EDT
Howzit?

My buddy, Kimo, wants to buy an AR.  I told him his state sux ass when it comes to RKBA.  However, I know he can purchase an AR.  Are there any special hoops he has to jump through other than the norm of going through an FFL and filling out the state and federal forms?  I seem to recall you actually have to get a permit to purchase a rifle!  Is that true.

He lives in Kohala on the Big Island.

OT:  Do any of you guys hunt?  I have a buddy on Maui who has a huge bird ranch.  Just started one on the Big Island.  Very fun (and maybe a little too easy).
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Steve, He has to apply for a permit to acquire which takes about 3 weeks to get approved. Also if he is not on record he will have to be photographed and fingerprinted, plus a one time fee of $24 for an FBI check. Once he has the permit it is good for one year, so he can get the rifle any time in that period.

I live on Maui, what is the story on your buddy? I assume that it is a money making venture and probably a little pricey to hunt for the common man. Clue me in.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Steve,

On Oahu the process is like this (at local PD).

1. Apply for your "permit to aquire"
2. Pay FBI fee (if 1st time buyer).
3. Sign form to allow PD to check with your MD to see if you have any mental reason to prohibit you from ownership.
4. Wait 14 days then you go to station and pick up your permit to aquire. Do not wait past 21 days or they will toss your permit and you'll have to re-apply.
5. If approved the "long gun" permit is good for 1 year.
6. Any weapon purchased will have to be registered with the local PD.

*note* hi-cap mags are a no-no here for AR's. 10 round max. This is a result of the assualt pistol law in effect here under which the AR falls.   HTH

Michal
NRA, GOA, JPFO, HRA
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Steve, make sure your buddy knows that he's going to jump a lot of hoops to buy an AR-15 and then he will be limited to only 10 round mags. Heck, I grew up in Hawaii and I completely forgot about the hi-cap mag ban back there. What year was that stupid law put in place?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The Assualt Pistol law went into effect as of July 1,1992 if I'm not mistaken.

Michael
NRA, GOA, JPFO, HRA
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
meh_cps got it right, and those 'hoops' apply to ANY long gun. Acquiring an AR15 is no different from any other long gun. The only gun shop I frequent when I'm on the Big Island is Z-sports located in Hilo, but there selection is limited. Your friend Kimo would probably be better off ordering from the mainland, despite the added transfer fees; it seems that all the dealers here run a monopoly when it comes to firearms. Hunt a lot of hog here-never gone bird hunting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanx for the replies.  I'll clue Keem in on the deal.

About my friend, Pat, and his hunting outfit, I'll tack some info on the main page tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top