Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2002 9:01:24 AM EDT
Sixguns to the front. Beanie Babies and John Birchers to the back. More crusty Sovbloc rifles than you could believe in the middle.

I've been going to the Saxet Gun Show regularly for a while now, but since I bought my BM Shorty, I've been going every month. I have yet to buy anything. It seems to be the same dealers selling the same stuff in the same places. I swear that guy has been trying to sell the same BM M-17 since I've been going.

There are a lot of people selling various AR's but only one table with enough AR parts to be worth the trip. His price and selection were OK, I guess. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd recommend going for AR's.

There are more people selling crusty old SovBloc rifles, Mosin-Nagants, SKS's, and such... in varying states of repair. A lot of SKS varieties, so if you are looking for one, the show would be worth the trip.

There are fewer people selling Nazi memorabilia, and more people selling cheap pocket knives and silly reproduction swords. The Lord of the Rings two handed sword is fun to look at.[%(] Some of the Old West tables were pretty neat, and I noticed more useful books and historical hardbacks than usual. Lots of Osprey series books too.

Less evident were the "armchair commando" [8]and "URA Sniper" [(:)]manuals. Only one display of bumper stickers this time, so you will have to look harder if you want a "Death to Commies" or other tinfoil hat crowd slogans. [peep]

There were a couple of tables of ammunition dealers, and there is a guy towards the back with a good selection of gun bags, ALICE gear, and that sort of thing.

Democratic Undergrounders notwithstanding, I was pleased to see that the attendees consisted of more than:

-the patented Just A Buncha White Guys [:)>]
-Mall ninjas [whacko]
-cowboy shooters with Wyatt Earp mustaches (who are actually pretty cool) [):)]
-hunters in flannel looking for better deer rifles[sniper]
-and the ubiquitous squirrelly little blond guys with short milspec haircuts, thick glasses, and creepy Lone Gunman smiles. [%|]

I chatted with some Japanese tourists who were fondling a Steyr AUG (never met a Japanese who didn't shine to guns given the chance), a couple of black guys who I recommended the Oly Arms FIRSH to, and lots of Hispanic guys. There were a few women there also that were not accompanying their gun-shopping mates.

The only reason I point this out is that the DU'ers have this idea that gun owners are all Just A Buncha White Guys. Happily, they are wrong.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]DU'ers have this idea that gun owners are all Just A Buncha White Guys. Happily, they are wrong.[/b]

Time to bury the stereotypes. I'd like to approach the gun show operator about doing a slice-of-life feature article for a local newspaper — Show him my NRA membership card, get permission to take a few photos, maybe interview a few attendees, and then let him check the final article text for fairness and accuracy. Might even boost attendance a little!

Until you let the public see what actually goes on inside a gun show, you'll always have misconceptions (which most of the liberal media is only too happy to perpetuate).
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Spearweasle,

How much were the ammo cans going for?  I need some more, and might stop by there if the price is right.  Otherwise, I'll spend the $5 admission on a day out at Hill Country RR.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
C'mon, Spearweasle!  Every now and then you have to agree with a DU'er - it throws 'em off!  Laugh at their jokes - you gotta admit, the LaPierre and Lott book title response was pretty damned funny from a liberal point of view.  Then they don't know what to do with you!

Think of it as psychological warfare.  Insert scalpel, twist.  Repeat as necessary.  Too much fun! [}:D]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
What about all of the skinheads and the mexican prison gangsters? I saw lots of them there today.

Okay, maybe not lots of skinheads and nazis, but isn't one too many.

I was also perversely glad that the cedar count is up and my allergies are bad. It seems like a large percentage of folks who go go to the Saxet show in Austin have body hygeine standards that are about 180 degrees off of the accepted norm for Americans. Luckily, only the worst made it through my congestion.

Not too many good deals, though. I only foun two SAR-2s, and they were significantly overpriced. For every decent deal on ammo I saw, there was another guy selling "Green Tip Armor-Piercing" .223 rounds for $8/20 rounds. I also saw alot of USA AR magazines going for $20-30, which is about $20-30 too much.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
C'mon, Spearweasle!  Every now and then you have to agree with a DU'er - it throws 'em off!  Laugh at their jokes - you gotta admit, the LaPierre and Lott book title response was pretty damned funny from a liberal point of view.  Then they don't know what to do with you!

Think of it as psychological warfare.  Insert scalpel, twist.  Repeat as necessary.  Too much fun! [}:D]
View Quote

That was funny... I was just at work and unable to reply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top