BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2002 11:23:12 PM EDT

DOUBLE STANDARD ON PLAGIARISM
By Reed Irvine
January 16, 2002
Accuracy In Media

Dr. Stephen E. Ambrose, a former history professor who wrote pedestrian, scholarly biographies of Presidents Eisenhower and Nixon that are on college reading lists, has discovered gold in writing popular history on topics ranging from the explorations of Lewis and Clark to B-24 bomber runs over Germany in World War II.  

Stephen Ambrose's reputation is no longer spotless, thanks to the revelation by Fred Barnes, the editor of the conservative Weekly Standard, that Dr. Ambrose's most recent best-seller, The Wild Blue, The Men and Boys Who Flew the B-24s over Germany, included some passages that had been copied almost verbatim from a 1995 book, Wings of Morning, by Prof. Thomas Childers of the University of Pennsylvania. Childers told the story of his uncle's experiences as a member of a B-24 bomber crew in World War II.

He cited only four descriptive passages in the Ambrose book that were not enclosed in quotation marks that were virtually identical to passages in the Childers book They totaled 256 words, but that was enough to sustain the charge of plagiarism.

Ambrose promptly apologized to Childers, saying, "I made a mistake for which I am sorry. It will be corrected in future editions of the book." Prof. Childers told the New York Times, "I think it is a classy thing to do, and I appreciate it." According to the Times, Ambrose said "that if he came across passages...that fit the story he was telling, he would drop the passages into his text and credit the book in footnotes."
Mark Lewis, writing for Forbes.com, found them in three other books by Ambrose-Crazy Horse and Custer, in which passages totaling 216 words were borrowed from a biography of Custer by Jay Monaghan; Citizen Soldiers, in which Ambrose acknowledged in an author's note that he had stolen material shamelessly from Beyond the Beachhead by Joseph Balkoski.
A much more powerful version of that message was sent 15 years ago when scholars were collecting and preparing the papers of Martin Luther King Jr. for publication. They discovered that much of King's doctoral dissertation was plagiarized. This was kept secret for three years. The Wall Street Journal broke the story in November 1990. It reported that large parts of King's dissertation were taken from a dissertation submitted to Boston University three years earlier by a student named Jack Boozer. He and King had the same doctoral adviser, who approved King's dissertation despite its similarity to Boozer's. Another professor had called the plagiarism to King's attention and advised him to remedy it. Nothing was done, but Boston University gave King his doctorate anyway.

Claybourne Carson, who headed the King papers project, had all of King's scholarly papers checked and annotated to provide the attribution that King had omitted. This took nearly two years because of the large number of annotations required. Nothing like that would be needed to remedy the plagiarism so far found in Stephen Ambrose's books. Fred Barnes has said that it was no big deal, and he's right. But King's plagiarism was a big deal. It will forever tarnish the reputations of the Boston University professors and their student, the only American except George Washington to be honored with a national holiday.

Reed Irvine can be reached at [email protected] http://www.aim.org/publications/weekly_column/2002/01/16.html
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to belittle your point, but the fact that Dr. King plagiarized on his doctoral thesis is a bit different that plagiarizing in a text for public consumption (and, yes, King's advisor should have rebuked him and required him to re-write his thesis).  However, I believe that Ambrose did at least list the sources from which he plagiarized (thus making it easier for someone to catch him at it).

The problem [i]I've[/i] got is with [red]distortion and fabrication[/i] of information done by "historians".  

I hope they kick Bellesiles out.  But he'll get a slap on the wrist just like King, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I notice in almost all of Mauser88's posts a racial component is present.
View Quote

Do ya think?  You're in good company, raf...

We've been down this road before.  Posters like this are kinda like gonorrhea, the "gift that keeps on giving."

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=86405[/url]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I notice in almost all of Mauser88's posts a racial component is present.
View Quote
I hadn't, but now that you mentioned it, I'll check your theory from now on.  

I didn't really see the comparison between a doctoral thesis and a popular work of history...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top