Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2002 1:56:13 PM EDT
I just watched the "In Search Of" episode about the skyjacking,but it's like 20 years old.

They must have found him by now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
They never found him...but like to say that he didn`t survive.....well they never found the money either.....so my guess is that he was a very smart operator....and got away with it..........[:)].....(good for him)
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
They did find about 10-15% of the money.It was under a log in the general aera that he jumped.So did he make it and put it there or did someone find the body stash part of  the money and come back for ir latter.Not to be able to find it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
That happened in my area - never found.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope, they never found dad.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember seeing on Unsolved Mysterys like 10 years ago now, that there was a guy who did the same thing. Hijacked the plane and parachuted out. But they ended up catching him. So its possible DB Cooper could of made it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I love how the authorities think he must be dead if they can not find him.  Arrogant for sure.  I think the little money they found was his "F.U." to the world.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
nope, they never found [s]me[/s] errr  him  [;)]

(A little side note..)
Actually, back in '91 or '92 there was the first non military skydives out of the back of a Boeing 727 at the World Freefall Convention in Quincy Il.  Everyone who made the jump got a "D.B. Cooper 'Number'" in his 'honor'. [:)]

I was on the first pass on the trial run.. 205+mph @ 15,500' (~) and about 5 miles out from airport  WOOOHOOOOOOO   I'd love to re-tell my story, won't hog this posting.  What I need to do is find a way of putting the svhs(c) onto VCD/DVD so I don't loose the footage I took!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I remember seeing on Unsolved Mysterys like 10 years ago now, that there was a guy who did the same thing. Hijacked the plane and parachuted out. But they ended up catching him. So its possible DB Cooper could of made it.
View Quote

yeah, i was thinking of the same thing.  except the TV show i saw actually linked the caught hijacker to DB Cooper.  apparently, DB Cooper left some cufflinks on the plane when he jumped.  and the wife (or some other close relative) of the caught hijacker identified them as her husband's.

conclusion:  her husband was DB Cooper????????  and they did catch him????

of course, he denied the whole thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes! they did. They didnt catch him as DB but they did catch due to his army training and his privy to knowledge of certain things. They DID catch him. I saw the same one as AR lady.
GG
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn`t it true that there was NOT enough evidence to prove it was him?.......so the real mystery was not actually solved?.......[argue]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, a few factoids for fodder,
1.  They did find some of the MARKED bills.  Not sure how much, but it was found near the water and a few miles from the aprox. jump area.
2.  None of the other bills have re-appeared in circulation, so if he is alive and managed to keep the money he is one tight-wad.
3.  I have hiked a lot in the Gorge, it is not the type of terrain you would pick willingly for a landing zone.  Hell, peope die just from slipping off the trails.  A few years ago a teenager slipped from Silver Creek trail and even though people saw him fall it took three days to find the body.
4.  The Columbia is nearly a mile wide, and not warm.  You would need to be a strong swimmer to make it to shore if you spashed on landing.  I would guess you would need to ditch the breif case to make it.
5.  The FBI does have some DNA from some cigaretts D.B. puffed on.  They are doing a check on a human skull found in the Gorge and another guy who claimed to be D.B. on his death bed.  That I know of the results have not been published.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullshit! That happened in MY area... [;)]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Rumor had it that DB was an old smokejumper from the Northwest.  When the FBI investigated, they focused on several smokejumpers and bases that had "Air America" type military experience and also jumping experience into that kind of country.  Some of the old timers even mention a guy they used to jump with that talked of how easy it would be to do that kind of job, logistics of doing it, etc...  Everything I've ever read of the case indicated none of the $$ was spent, but apparently not ALL the money was marked either.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quite, I'm still counting the $20's !
                                DB
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#18]
So true Brouhaha
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullshit! That happened in MY area... [;)]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
View Quote

Uh..... you weren't in that area then.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]
They approximated the jump area by noting the time of depressurization. They figured he jumped over southern Washington, near Ariel and the Washougal watershed. They found $5,000 of the $200,000 years later on a beach along the Columbia river, several miles south and somewhat east of where they thought the drop zone was. The thinking was that the plane was farther east than thought, and the cash was washed down to the columbia.

He jumped out wearing loafers and slacks on a dark, rainy night over some heavy forest and ridges. He didn't tell the pilot to fly an exact route, and took a couple of the substandard parachutes. They photcopied the $20 bills they gave him. (He didn't specify the denomination, so they gave him 20s to weigh him down.)

They never found him. Most likely he augered in and his remains are lost in the woods.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Those darn factoids like to flare up now and then............[devil]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Never caught, some money found in area, but none ever in circulation. He is dead.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm assuming that if he was smart enough to pull the job off,maybe he had a plan to launder the money overseas.Would that have ever come back into circulation?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#24]
As a footnote to the J.D. Cooper escapade:

The Darwin Awards tells of a Cooper wannabe, named Augusto, who in tried to mimic his hero a couple of years ago –

Boarding a plane at Davao (somewhere in the Phlippines) – where security was not too tight – Augusto took his carry-on luggage containing a pistol, hand grenade, a homemade parchute, ski-mask and scuba goggles aboar an airliner.

After gaining altitude, Augusto donned the ski-mask and scuba goggles and with pistol and grenade in-hand, demanded the plane reroute to Manila. The crew lied and told him there was insufficient fuel, so Augusto collected an estimated $25,000 from the passengers and then ordered the fuselage depressured; the altitude be dropped to 6,500ft and a fuselage door opened – this was done.

He had some difficulty getting out of the door what with the wind and his homemade parachute and loot, however he enlisted the help of a stewardess who helped push him to the brink. As he exited, Augusto pulled the pin and tossed it back into the fuselage, while retaining hold of the grenade itself.

The authorities did eventually discover his remains – most of which was below ground level. The efficacy of his parachute design remains a mystery, while his degree of intelligence is not in dispute.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just watched the "In Search Of" episode about the skyjacking,but it's like 20 years old.

They must have found him by now.
View Quote

Well... thay ain't found this one yet...

An as fer the 'rest of the story'... ya'll must be talking about that special NWAL 'In-Flight-Bumpee' bonus offer I took 'um up on... the alternate flight they got me on with 'Silkworm Airlines' landed safely... although it was a tad rough... and as fer all that cash... after the bear got what he insisted was his the rest didn't make it past Vegas...  ;)

db 'who'll deny every word' cooper

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Actually, the FBI did find D.B. Cooper, just a day or so after the hijacking.

The hijacker identified himself as "Dan Cooper," not "D.B. Cooper."  The FBI ran a check on the name and found a D.B. Cooper living in Washington, but he had nothing to do with the crime.

For some reason, the media started calling the hijacker D.B. Cooper and it has stuck ever since.  But it's wrong.

So yes, D.B. Cooper was found!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top