Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2009 3:56:14 PM EDT
Got it off a guy hurting for money, selling lots of guns, for $325.  It's a rarely fired M28-2, .357.  He dropped it on cement, with the cylinder closed.  This sheared the pin that locks the cylinder to the frame.  The owner then proceeded to completely take it apart, then put the pieces away in a box without wiping it down with oil, resulting in a couple clunkers of rust.  Master Pistolsmith Andy Horvath fixed it and put it back together for $80.  I took the light rust off with fine steel wool.  The action feels like it has barely been fired.

Nothing like a 40 year old N-frame.  Some new grips, a spring-kit and some speed-loaders, and I’m back to being a wheel-gunner next year in IDPA.  

I think this gun should be able to hold up to my rather violent reloads.  I used to run a K-frame, and when I really hammered the ejector rod, sometimes the extractor star would slip off one of the empty cases, and I would be screwed, deploying the "tactical fingernail" on the clock.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!  Got any before pics?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I like those a lot.
That era S&W revolver has a special place in my heart.
No special reason, just grew up around them and always liked them.
Damnit.....now I feel the need to go buy one

Enjoy your new find
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice!  Got any before pics?

Nothing your could really see.  The rust came off easy, just leaving a little discoloration here and there.  By the time I put some wear and tear on it, that discoloration won't even be noticable.  I have a kydex holster, so it'll be looking like I threw it down the driveway within a year or so.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to run sub nuclear reloads in mine without any problem.

Just don't get TOO stupid and you'll be OK.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The M27's ugly sister. N 4" Frames FTW!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
That's what I carried when I was a police officer.  The only thing different was I put on the N-frame stocks because these were too small for me.

Mine was sick accurate with an incredible DA pull.  

Great pickup.

HH
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I used to run sub nuclear reloads in mine without any problem.

Just don't get TOO stupid and you'll be OK.

I was talking about my speed-reloading style, not the ammo, but that K-frame couldn't handle the reloads I shot without flinching in my GP100 either.  The K's are nice light guns, but I'm a bit of a gorilla.  I used to shoot a 5" 625 before they changed the barrel length rule, and I missed that frame size.  This M28 is going to be perfect, once I get the MIculek grips on it and get some trigger time.

Shooting IDPA, this gun will mostly see 158's, trucking along around 950 - 1000 fps.  I might have some of my old fire-breathing 210 grain TC reloads kicking around.  If I recall correctly, they got over 1200 fps out of my GP100.  This gun should handle them fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top