Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/3/2009 2:40:12 PM EDT
What happened to slaves who worked hard their whole lives and then just became old and frail? Did they just live out the rest of their days relaxin on the plantation? Did the masters find some busy work to keep them occupied? Did the master just work them untill they droped dead? Did they "liquidate" them?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Precursor to Soylent Green
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Damn!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I think some of the old slaves worked in the plantation house, however I do not think that many really lived to see old age.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
"They were sold down the river."   Which means they were taken to gulf seaports and exported to Central America to work cane fields until yellow fever killed them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"They were sold down the river."   Which means they were taken to gulf seaports and exported to Central America to work cane fields until yellow fever killed them.

Where did you come up with that ?

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
It was pretty rare for them to reach old age.  But there are lots of jobs that need done around a plantation other than working in the fields.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]
At least back then the slaves had their room and board provided for them.

Modern slaves have a lot more bills.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
None of them became community organizers?

IBTL!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened to slaves who worked hard their whole lives and then just became old and frail? Did they just live out the rest of their days relaxin on the plantation? Did the masters find some busy work to keep them occupied?

This, for the vast majority of slaves.

They were usually called "Aunt" or "Uncle" and treated kindly.  Many Southerners were basically "raised" by their Mammies and loved them all their lives.

That is the truth.  We will now wait for the mouth-foaming haters of the South to come into the thread screaming and hating.

+1
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happened to slaves who worked hard their whole lives and then just became old and frail? Did they just live out the rest of their days relaxin on the plantation? Did the masters find some busy work to keep them occupied?

They were usually called "Aunt" or "Uncle" and treated kindly.  Many Southerners were basically "raised" by their Mammies and loved them all their lives.

That is the truth.  We will now wait for the mouth-foaming haters of the South to come into the thread screaming and hating.

I may have been known to antagonize the easily angered southerners on this board a time or two, but this is pretty much 100% accurate. Old slaves were brought to the house to do housework. When they were really too old to be of any use they were taken care of by other slaves. The vast majority of slave women who worked in the houses raised the children and were like a modern maid/nanny with private quarters.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there realy that big a devide btween the north and south.?
Over here there is a north south devide but mainly it is light hearted and not taken too seriously.

Cheers
Taffy

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow.  Unmitigated bullshit from up north.  Thanks for that insight.

What kind of money do you think a geriatic slave brings, smart guy, to send them all the way to Central America?

My family had slaves, and on the inventory of my great great grandfather's estate are several names, listed with "no value."  These are old slaves, who I am sure just did menial tasks like watched children or tended a garden.  I know one of them was the fisherman for the plantation on the York River, providing fish and oysters for the big house and the slave cabins as well.

Please spare us anymore of your imaginary history from up there in MA.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Glue.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over here there is a north south devide but mainly it is light hearted and not taken too seriously.

Cheers
Taffy

Yeah.  Northern urban liberals really look down their nose at the south as racist backwards hicks who vote for Republicans.  Southerners don't really care for yankees for a lot of reasons they can better explain than me.

I dont look down on the South, I just wish the ones who still make a big deal over the war get over it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was true for the most part...people who never lived in the South will never really understand the real southern attitude towards blacks. It wasn't 'right' but it had its own sense of decency as regards slaves, yes their were cruel masters...and also good ones. better if there had never been any slaves brought over here.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#18]
They got house gigs, soft work or were sold off.
Consider it as retirement.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
In the north the black man can get as close as he wants as long as he doesn't get too powerful. In the south he can get as powerful as he wants as long as he doesn't get too close.  Old slaves were use for raising kids and working other than in the fields.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Long pork.

Seriously, what O_P said.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just wish the ones who still make a big deal over the war get over it.

The biggest +1 I have ever given on arfcom. We got a million other problems to numerous to list with the time I have left in the day and so many people just want to go on and on about how awful Sherman was and how northerns were mean to their great great grandfathers.

ETA: Arfcommers of all different regions should try to unite against our common enemy of liberals and freedom haters instead of wishing Balkinization upon the US.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glue.

hahahahahhahahahahhaa
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

Yeah.  Northern urban liberals really look down their nose at the south as racist hicks.  Southerners don't really care for yankees for a lot of reasons they can better explain than me.

I dont look down on the South, I just wish the ones who still make a big deal over the war get over it.

How seriously is this taken? are we talking a bit of banter or are we talking hatred?

Cheers
Taffy
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thats rude.

Its crunchy peanut butter!

The correct answer is probably murder, however, they probably died younger due to poor working conditions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think some of the old slaves worked in the plantation house, however I do not think that many really lived to see old age.

Older slaves still able to work were put to work in the plantation house; those not able to work were retired and their families cared for them until they died.

Most slave owners only had one, maybe two, slaves and they were typically treated as adopted family. Family that had to work on the farm,  but family nonetheless. Which is why many slaves adopted their owner's last name upon being freed and many also stuck around to work on the same farm or plantation they'd been enslaved on.

The huge plantations run by a handful of assholes who abused their slaves mercilessly are 90% Hollywood. Did they exist? A few, yes. Were some slave holders abusive assholes? Certainly. But reality and the image of slavery in America that most people have in their minds don't correlate, for the most part.

Heck, the single largest plantation, with the greatest number of slaves, in US history... was owned by a black family.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

Yeah.  Northern urban liberals really look down their nose at the south as racist hicks.  Southerners don't really care for yankees for a lot of reasons they can better explain than me.

How seriously is this taken? are we talking a bit of banter or are we talking hatred?

Cheers
Taffy

Not hatred.  More like snide contemptuous remarks at worst.  Until recently, neither would prefer living in each other's region.  But that's changing as the cost of living around New York is becoming ridiculous and the economy in Michagan is collapsing, forcing northern white people to move to the south where the economy's better and the cost of living is much much lower, especially in urban areas in the south like Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

I don't know Taffy?  I say anyone south of Carlisle is a White Settler
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  Unmitigated bullshit from up north.  Thanks for that insight.

What kind of money do you think a geriatic slave brings, smart guy, to send them all the way to Central America?

My family had slaves, and on the inventory of my great great grandfather's estate are several names, listed with "no value."  These are old slaves, who I am sure just did menial tasks like watched children or tended a garden.  I know one of them was the fisherman for the plantation on the York River, providing fish and oysters for the big house and the slave cabins as well.

Please spare us anymore of your imaginary history from up there in MA.  

You must be so proud....   My great great great grandfather was sold down the river.  The imaginary Northerners saved the rest of my ancestors.   Grow up young man, put that shit behind you.

With Edit:  HERE
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Taffy

More towards banter, but some hatred. I think the vast majority of the seriously hard feelings are from southerners to northerners. Northerners usually just plain dont care. I think its an interesting and lasting aspect of our civil war 140 years ago. The lasting aspects of the war have filled many many books there is so much to cover.

ETA: Here is the most sweeping generalization you will ever read on arfcom: Northerners make fun of southerners for being inbred toothless hicks, and southerners hate us for it and say all people from the north are liberals that want to take away NASCAR and shotguns.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

Seems that there might be for southerners. Can't say I've ever heard a northerner complaining about "damn johnny rebs". Plenty of "damn yankee scum" talk about though
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell from the posts before yours I thought they were already here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Older slaves still able to work were put to work in the plantation house; those not able to work were retired and their families cared for them until they died.

Most slave owners only had one, maybe two, slaves and they were typically treated as adopted family. Family that had to work on the farm,  but family nonetheless. Which is why many slaves adopted their owner's last name upon being freed and many also stuck around to work on the same farm or plantation they'd been enslaved on.

The huge plantations run by a handful of assholes who abused their slaves mercilessly are 90% Hollywood. Did they exist? A few, yes. Were some slave holders abusive assholes? Certainly. But reality and the image of slavery in America that most people have in their minds don't correlate, for the most part.

Heck, the single largest plantation, with the greatest number of slaves, in US history... was owned by a black family.

I've also heard that there was a regional divide even within the south regarding the treatment of slaves. Alabama for instance was known for being a difficult place. Virginia and the Carolinas were much easier work and the slaves were treated better, but of course I am not really an expert on this subject. I will yield the floor to those more knowledgeable.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, that one woman who murdered the three children she was supervising and then fled to the north shocked the south. Many had been raised by black "Mammies", or at least knew someone who had. It'd be like hearing about your kindergarten teacher opening up on her class with a shotgun and then fleeing to Missouri, which refused to extradite her. That had a lot of southerners freaked out and wondering if they could trust their slaves. They were worried about whether or not they'd run rampant if and when they were freed.

Then add in John Brown. He murdered three families who owned a single slave between them and 'recruited' the slave into his 'army' (consisting of his sons and a handful of followers) to free the blacks and kill off all slave holders. The slave fled first chance he got and alerted the authorities, and Brown fled up north, where he was protected from being brought back and put on trial. Then Brown and his sons and followers seized the town of Harper's Ferry and murdered any townspeople who resisted, including a free black man. The military retaliated, and Brown and his surviving followers were captured, put on trial, and hanged. Cities all over the north flew flags at half mast and had fucking parades in Brown's honor. The south, at this point, seriously began to harbor deep suspicion about the north, which had been sucking off the south's financial teat for decades and kept fucking them over.

Between that and decades of political and economic struggle between the north and south, is it any wonder southerners eventually said "fuck it" and left the Union?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taffy

More towards banter, but some hatred. I think the vast majority of the seriously hard feelings are from southerners to northerners. Northerners usually just plain dont care. I think its an interesting and lasting aspect of our civil war 140 years ago. The lasting aspects of the war have filled many many books there is so much to cover.

ETA: Here is the most sweeping generalization you will ever read on arfcom: Northerners make fun of southerners for being inbred toothless hicks, and southerners hate us for it and say all people from the north are liberals that want to take away NASCAR and shotguns.

Strange...this geographical thing

Northern Ireland/Eire
Northern England/Southern English shandy drinkers
You guys with the north south thing
Even here in Wales there is a difinite North south devide.
Welsh is spoken more in the west and north and when some people there know you are from the south
they start to talk in welsh so you cannot understand...even though I sound like i'm from the south I was
born in the north....typical stereotyping

North /south vietnam...etc

strange...there has to be more than geography about it..

Cheers
Taffy
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

People like to think regional conflict doesn't exist in the US, and it's not a north-south thing so much as a "I studied my fucking history"-"I read a three page history of the Civil War in public school; the south were bad guys and the war was about slavery and nothing else" thing.

But yes. Old wounds tend to flare up. Especially because yankees seem to thrive on pissing all over one's ancestors.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taffy

Strange...this geographical thing

Northern Ireland/Eire
Northern England/Southern English shandy drinkers
You guys with the north south thing
Even here in Wales there is a difinite North south devide.
Welsh is spoken more in the west and north and when some people there know you are from the south
they start to talk in welsh so you cannot understand...even though I sound like i'm from the south I was
born in the north....typical stereotyping

North /south vietnam...etc

strange...there has to be more than geography about it..

Cheers
Taffy

There doesn't have to be many miles in it.  Look at the East End and West End of London!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No no, they were tortured, flayed alive and eaten.  I read it in my public skewl history book.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have been known to antagonize the easily angered southerners on this board a time or two, but this is pretty much 100% accurate. Old slaves were brought to the house to do housework. When they were really too old to be of any use they were taken care of by other slaves. The vast majority of slave women who worked in the houses raised the children and were like a modern maid/nanny with private quarters.

Some were even freed and given land and owned slaves.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#41]
You never hear anything about North Philly, Northside Chicago or North Central Los Angeles?

Coincidence, Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I would imagine that most didn't live that long.  The ones who did were most likely given work that they could handle, like put to work as butlers, nannies, housekeepers, etc.

I'm from Maryland and I am a Yankee.  I even have a direct ancestor who was in the Union Army, he died in a Confederate POW camp.  I like beans in my chili.  

But I know better than to believe what the liberals told me in public school.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say this, in the instances when the slaves made it to old age. Of course, there are always extremes on either side. Some were probably "liquidated" although I doubt it was a frequent practice at all. just as I find it unlikely they were often allowed to retire to being "Aunt" or "Uncle" before putting in many hard years of work
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would imagine that most didn't live that long.  The ones who did were most likely given work that they could handle, like put to work as butlers, nannies, housekeepers, etc.

I'm from Maryland and I am a Yankee.  I even have a direct ancestor who was in the Union Army, he died in a Confederate POW camp.  I like beans in my chili.  

Like it or not, if you are from Maryland then you are a Southerner.

Embrace it because it can't be denied.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Taffy

Cheers
Taffy

Not hatred.  More like snide contemptuous remarks at worst.  Until recently, neither would prefer living in each other's region.  But that's changing as the cost of living around New York is becoming ridiculous and the economy in Michagan is collapsing, forcing northern white people to move to the south where the economy's better and the cost of living is much much lower, especially in urban areas in the south like Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina.

You know the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee? The yankee goes home.

Seriously, it's bad enough when you get the yankees that have to piss all over your ancestors and tout a distorted view of history, but when they move to YOUR home and start bitching about how you do things differently and everything should be just like the shitty northern place they fled from, it gets frustrating.

I've spent the last five months in Ohio and have never met ruder people. I've also never seen such widespread, open racism either. At home, you never hear someone yelling racial epithets in public, regardless of whether or not they're racist dicks. Up here, it's a daily occurence. It's also pretty rare to see anything other than white people. There's a few blacks, a handful of hispanics, and a grand total of two Asians that don't work in the town's only Chinese restaurant.

Then again, I am stranded in the most redneck town of all of Ohio, according to all the Ohio residents I've met who are familiar with the area. There's a family living in two railroad cars welded together in the middle of fucking downtown. I shit you not. And, irony of ironies, I see a shitload of Confederate battle flags up here. Up here, it seems to represent "I hate black people". Back home, it either represents your pride in your family history or your political persuasion (like the Gadsden Flag; identical sentiments.). So it's easy to see how a lot of northerners and people from out west get the mistaken impression that the south is full of racist hicks because we have a lot of Confederate flags; it means something different where they're from and they think the meaning is universal.

Kind of how most people think the swastika means you're a Nazi, but Finland still has it as the symbol of their air force and it's a popular symbol in Asia. In neither case does it have anything to do with Nazism.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard that some slave-owing southerners were actually surprised that their slaves fled during the civil war.

They thought that the slaves liked them, and considered them to be friends.

Its a weird piece of history via personal diary that you never really hear about.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part in red is the problem, my friend.

It doesn't really what someone might "imagine".  All that matters is the facts.

And the facts are that it would have been foolish to "work a slave to death", as they were very valuable and were needed to run the business.  Unless they died from disease (which killed whites just as frequently), they lived as long as anyone else.

Older slaves were "retired" to jobs that they could handle.

Makes sense to me.  It'd be equally foolish to work a farm animal to death, or to run a car until it falls apart in the middle of the road.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Like it or not, if you are from Maryland then you are a Southerner.

Embrace it because it can't be denied.

Well, I've also got family from West Virginia...  When I've been to southern states like North Carolina and Florida, I have to say I liked it down there more than I liked it further north (like in Michigan, New York, New Jersey, etc).  People are nicer down south.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Texas invented Chili for a reason.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top