Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2009 1:21:58 PM EDT
I found a guy that has a 16' aluminum Monark boat for sale for $500. The problem is that he purchased the boat 10 years ago as part of a business. When his business went under he filed for bankruptcy. As part of the boat title was held by the bank, but the boat was never repossessed. Is there any way to get a title for this boat? I can get the serial number and maybe find out who the lien holder is. But I'm not sure if they would still have the title, or even surrender it any way. I would like to have the boat, but don't want to be out the cost of a new boat trying to make this one legal.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
All you should need is a bill of sale and a serial number. Submit to the local tax collector and get your title. That should be it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure of the exact process, but it can't be too hard.  Boats aren't even titled in some states.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok you have to go to The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries NOT DMV for the title (In VA) ? I had to do it and it was pretty painless. If you are near or in Richmond there is one on broad street.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok you have to go to The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries NOT DMV for the title (In VA) ? I had to do it and it was pretty painless. If you are near or in Richmond there is one on broad street.  

Is there a possibility of lien on the boat from the bankruptcy that the owner filed for? If so, will it stand in the way of me being able to purchase the boat and put in my name? I just don't want to buy the boat and have someone come after me for an old dept on the boat before I can get a clean bill on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top