Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2009 11:40:15 AM EDT
Two weeks ago, I was at Cabelas, and noticed that their ammo shelves were in total disarray; disorganized AND VIRTUALLY EMPTY of 9mm, .40, .45, .223, .308, 12ga. 00Buck, etc.

Here's a sales associate's reply to my query regarding his store's poor ammo selection, paraphrased:

" Man, I hear you. -but It's not just us; it's like this everywhere! Guys have been coming over from Illinois (this particular Indiana store is right off of interstate 80/94, and within 6mi. of the IL/IN state line.) on the advice of their investment advisors and plunking down $3000+ of charge card -and boosting ammo up outta here by the PALLET!! They know our delivery schedules -we don't even get a chance to take it off the pallet."

He also remarked that if it were up to him, he would place count-limits on individual purchases, but the store's position is that...

...Well, we ARE in the ammo sellin' business, aint we?!

That is all.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I believe you have honestly reported what he told you.

I believe he is lying.

No investment adviser would tell anyone to buy a pallet of ammo and speculate on the price going up.  That is silly.

I agree!

They would tell them to buy it all and sell it all online/at a gunshow
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Uh yeah he is full of shit if for no other reason than suggesting that a pallet of ammo costs $3k.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
How long until you can buy WWB futures on the NYSE?

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he is lying.

No investment adviser would tell anyone to buy a pallet of ammo and speculate on the price going up.  That is silly.

I agree!

They would tell them to buy it all and sell it all online/at a gunshow

That pretty much sums it up.

That said, I don't see ammo coming down in the foreseeable future. All the Obama voters need to stock up. [://
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I day trade ammo. Sometimes I buy and sell the same pallet of ammo ten times in a day.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't bother me, ammo supplies will level out and there will be many "speculators" sitting on 10's of thousands of rounds that won't sell and a fat credit card bill every month.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I day trade ammo. Sometimes I buy and sell the same pallet of ammo ten times in a day.

I made 3.6c per round daytrading 50BMG this past tuesday. Its scary knowing that at one time I had $436K floating on .380ACP for about 7 minutes (In way over my head with that one) ended up taking a fair profit (.006 per round) for those 7 minutes.

Just starting to look ahead for shorting opportunities....

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Doesn't bother me, ammo supplies will level out and there will be many "speculators" sitting on 10's of thousands of rounds that won't sell and a fat credit card bill every month.

I sure hope so.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The guy has been reading too much stuff on the internet. In my experience, guns & ammo are a lousy investment. First and foremost it is a hobby for you to enjoy. After you are finished with the hobby it is time for someone else to to enjoy, and it would be nice to sell your hardware for you what you paid.

As an example, I bought a nickeled 8" 38spl Colt Python Target for my oldest son 20 years ago for $800. Today the gun is worth ~$1,500. My dad gave my son a $1,000 annuity 15 years ago, that annuity has grown to >$5,000, a gain of >600%.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]

If by investment adviser you mean the guys in the survival forums then that sounds about right.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe he is lying.

Unless of the financial planner had alterior motive(s)? like owned stock in an Ammo Company? lol
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I believe he is lying.

um... I remember reading a WSJ article recently about investing in ammo... not that silly when its in print from the WSJ
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I believe he is lying.

Yes, it's silly...but speculators do a lot of silly things, that's why it's called speculating.  Making informed choices is called investing.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Ammo prices have already skyrocketed and his 'investment adviser' tell him to stock up?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure hope so.

Yeah, this could happen right the fuck now, please.  My ammo fort needs shutters
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish I could afford ammo.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I believe he is lying.

I was thinking the same thing as this guy was talking -after all, he wasn't in an authority position at Cabela's, just a floor worker.
And then, one of you guys remembered a WSJ article to me...

Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he is lying.

um... I remember reading a WSJ article recently about investing in ammo... not that silly when its in print from the WSJ

Bubba Sanders, owner of Bullseye Supply LLC, in Brandon, Miss., said he has "a number of doctor clients whose financial advisers have told them to invest in ammunition. Beats the hell out of money markets and CDs. You can double your investment in ammunition in a year."<<hot

And now, I'm left going:

Wow. Just, wow. Now ammo's the "next hot tip"??

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#21]
i am really glad that ARFCOM taught me to buy by the case many years ago when I could scoop up 1000 rounds of Q3131A for a little over $100

I dont shoot that often, but taking a few hundred rounds off the top of the pile doesnt even make a dent.......thankfully.

Will probably hit the range next weekend and dip int o the reserves....as bad as availability and pricing has gotten, I cant say its affected me yet. (thankfullly) A few cases from now I will need to consider my options....y'all shoulda bought a pallett back when it was reasonably affordable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top