Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2009 3:13:09 AM EDT
It looks larger.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#1]

The weapon is fed from a detachable box magazine with a 30-round cartridge capacity and made from a lightweight alloy. When the last round from the magazine is fired, the bolt will remain locked open on the bolt catch, activated by the magazine’s follower. The magazine release tab is located at the base of the receiver, behind the magazine well. The bolt carrier has a built-in guide rail used for reloading from 10-round stripper clips (from the SKS rifle). Despite their similarity, vz. 58 magazines are not interchangeable with those of the AK-47 and its derivatives.

From here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa_vz._58

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It looks larger.

No, not that I can recall. I formerly owned an Ak decided that a VZ58 was for civilized folks. If there is a difference it is marginal. Why do you ask?

First VZ58 post I've seen on Arf!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It is larger front to rear mostly due to the bho button on the follower.. No they are not interchangeable Hope this helps
Speed
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Speedfreak is correct, forgot about that. The ak mag is slighlty wider as well. I was only thinking length. However I have seen an AK drum modified to fit in a VZ58
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The weapon is fed from a detachable box magazine with a 30-round cartridge capacity and made from a lightweight alloy. When the last round from the magazine is fired, the bolt will remain locked open on the bolt catch, activated by the magazine’s follower. The magazine release tab is located at the base of the receiver, behind the magazine well. The bolt carrier has a built-in guide rail used for reloading from 10-round stripper clips (from the SKS rifle). Despite their similarity, vz. 58 magazines are not interchangeable with those of the AK-47 and its derivatives.

From here

None of that answers my question.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks larger.

No, not that I can recall. I formerly owned an Ak decided that a VZ58 was for civilized folks. If there is a difference it is marginal. Why do you ask?

Because I've never seen one side by side.  The VZ mag looks bulkier.  If so, I was wondering why they didn't just use the smaller AK mag.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From here

None of that answers my question.

Well fine then
see if I help again
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is larger front to rear mostly due to the bho button on the follower.. No they are not interchangeable Hope this helps
Speed

That is what it looks like.  Why use something larger (and probably heavier) and not just the AK mag.  What added value did the Czechs get out of the new mag?

Other than the lock open.  Couldn't that be done with an AK mag?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks larger.

Because I've never seen one side by side.  The VZ mag looks bulkier.  If so, I was wondering why they didn't just use the smaller AK mag.
No bolt hold open.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speed

That is what it looks like.  Why use something larger (and probably heavier) and not just the AK mag.  What added value did the Czechs get out of the new mag?

Other than the lock open.  Couldn't that be done with an AK mag?

The VZ-58 mag is quite a bit lighter than an AK mag.  VZ-58 mags are made out of aluminum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top