Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 8:37:11 PM EDT
I'm sold on buying one, and painting it up like the general lee. adding some lift, lights and a few other goodies. Sell me on either 2 doors or 4 doors.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
IN.

ETA- YE HAW! And HOOTY HOO!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not fan of the duke boys I take it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
This might get interesting
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why yes I am as a matter of fact. I just wouldn't want to drive a vehicle "made up" to look like the General. Original Charger, Tits or GTFO.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]

very nice.

How have you found it's durability? I've heard they break much easier than their predecessors.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why yes I am as a matter of fact. I just wouldn't want to drive a vehicle "made up" to look like the General. Original Charger, Tits or GTFO.

oh haha. Nah, I'm gonna be in the .mil, so I don't think I can put a giant rebel flag on the hood anyhow, but I've had my intellectual property stolen enough ties to know better than to voice my better ideas.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll step up, as the owner of a '94 YJ and an '08 JK Unlimited Rubi.

The two doors are great for tighter trails, but I haven't had any issues in my Unlimited. The extra room the unlimited provides is incredible. On a recent trip to MA to the GF's grandmother's place, we were able to bring home a cedar chest, boockase, end table, several large boxes of various items, as well as the luggage we took with us on the trip. The longer wheelbase gets you a smooth ride both on and off-road. If you plan on carrying any more than two passengers, the Unlimited is the way to go, much easier entry and exit.

Go with a 4-door... you won't be disappointed.

ETA: I've had no issues with durability, breakage, or parts wear. I've had mine a bit over a year and am approaching 30k miles. From trails, to the beaches of OBX, to three and a half foot deep rivers in teh VA mountains, to snow... I love my 4-door.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sold on buying one, and painting it up like the general lee. adding some lift, lights and a few other goodies. Sell me on either 2 doors or 4 doors.

My BIL has one and he's pretty pleased with it.   The interior is really cheap though.  Scratches if you rub it with a ring (not a diamond) watch, or bracelet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll step up, as the owner of a '94 YJ and an '08 JK Unlimited Rubi.

The two doors are great for tighter trails, but I haven't had any issues in my Unlimited. The extra room the unlimited provides is incredible. On a recent trip to MA to the GF's grandmother's place, we were able to bring home a cedar chest, boockase, end table, several large boxes of various items, as well as the luggage we took with us on the trip. The longer wheelbase gets you a smooth ride both on and off-road. If you plan on carrying any more than two passengers, the Unlimited is the way to go, much easier entry and exit.

Go with a 4-door... you won't be disappointed.

ETA: I've had no issues with durability, breakage, or parts wear. I've had mine a bit over a year and am approaching 30k miles. From trails, to the beaches of OBX, to three and a half foot deep rivers in teh VA mountains, to snow... I love my 4-door.

Awesome, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
4 door=more room and it looks sexier.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My BIL has one and he's pretty pleased with it.   The interior is really cheap though.  Scratches if you rub it with a ring (not a diamond) watch, or bracelet.

Ha, for what I'll use it for, as far as the interior's concerned, i'll end up replacing it if I ever want resale anyhow. But thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

very nice.

How have you found it's durability? I've heard they break much easier than their predecessors.

I've got about 30K on mine and the only issue I've had is I snapped a wheel stud when I changed a flat tire.  My wife has one too and her only issue has been the windshield header and the kids breaking the rear washer cover with a football.
 Here's the half hardtop look.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want roominess and a vehicle to haul stuff get a truck.  2 door is where its at, those 4drs look gay and are for chicks.  No flaming intended, get whatever suits you the best, Rubis are nice, just make sure you get full doors on whatever you get.  I drove a 97 TJ for years, 33s, no a/c, definitely a fun little ride,except for the super hot days here in summer. If you get a rubi make sure to actually use it offroad.  They are a total waste of money if you don't actually use the extra features.  Enjoy whatever you get.

Also don't add those kc lights to the door frame like pictured above if you are actually going to use it offroad. Those will be one of the first things to get busted off. Trust Me, I've see a bunch of those get cracked from trees and you will almost certainly never use those lights. Huge waste of money, and they fall into the poser category.  Shine is Fine, but Chrome won't get you Home.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you want roominess and a vehicle to haul stuff get a truck.  2 door is where its at, those 4drs look gay and are for chicks.  No flaming intended, get whatever suits you the best, Rubis are nice, just make sure you get full doors on whatever you get.  I drove a 97 TJ for years, 33s, no a/c, definitely a fun little ride,except for the super hot days here in summer. If you get a rubi make sure to actually use it offroad.  They are a total waste of money if you don't actually use the extra features.  Enjoy whatever you get.

Also don't add those kc lights to the door frame like pictured above if you are actually going to use it offroad. Those will be one of the first things to get busted off. Trust Me, I've see a bunch of those get cracked from trees and you will almost certainly never use those lights. Huge waste of money, and they fall into the poser category.  Shine is Fine, but Chrome won't get you Home.

You're funny.  Those aren't KCs, they're Hella Rallye 400s and they've been beaten quite a bit already.  I managed to break one of the clear impact covers, but the light didn't even turn.  If you take out the lights, you've taken out your mirror and quite possibly ripped off the factory fender.  They are used every night that I come home late, are great on the dunes and hood glare is non existent if you get the long range beams.

The 2 doors are nice, but my wife, 2 kids and dog don't fit real well.  I would recommend going over to the JK Forum and see what the consensus is there.  I can almost guarantee more Jeepers have gotten rid of their 2 door models for 4 door models and not the other way around.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the market to buy a wrangler in the next 2 weeks. However those 4-door jeeps can GTFO. Not right. 4 door jeeps are on the same level are square headlight jeeps.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm in the market to buy a wrangler in the next 2 weeks. However those 4-door jeeps can GTFO. Not right. 4 door jeeps are on the same level are square headlight jeeps.

I prefered the square headlights. Different strokes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're funny.  Those aren't KCs, they're Hella Rallye 400s and they've been beaten quite a bit already.  I managed to break one of the clear impact covers, but the light didn't even turn.  If you take out the lights, you've taken out your mirror and quite possibly ripped off the factory fender.  They are used every night that I come home late, are great on the dunes and hood glare is non existent if you get the long range beams.

The 2 doors are nice, but my wife, 2 kids and dog don't fit real well.  I would recommend going over to the JK Forum and see what the consensus is there.  I can almost guarantee more Jeepers have gotten rid of their 2 door models for 4 door models and not the other way around.

You are a family man so a 4 door makes more sense for you, but I am a purist and I like the compactness of the 2dr.  You're jeep looks nice but it is totally not set up for real wheeling, which is fine because not everyone really wants to put their jeep into harms way.   When I mean you're lights will get busted, they WILL  get busted when you take them on serious trails. Your jeep is not a serious trail rig.  A wrangler with anything less than 33s in this day and age is pretty small for going on trails that actually require attention and not just oh wee heres a mud hole type endeavors. No offense,  you're a jeep owner so more power to you,  I'd wave :)  Just I spent years going to trails in KY, IN, ILL, MO and have seen some real gnarly jeeps and what they can do and what gets busted up.   For a family Jeep yours will do lights and all, but for real trails you would have to add more than fender flares to step your game up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are a family man so a 4 door makes more sense for you, but I am a purist and I like the compactness of the 2dr.  You're jeep looks nice but it is totally not set up for real wheeling, which is fine because not everyone really wants to put their jeep into harms way.   When I mean you're lights will get busted, they WILL  get busted when you take them on serious trails. Your jeep is not a serious trail rig.  A wrangler with anything less than 33s in this day and age is pretty small for going on trails that actually require attention and not just oh wee heres a mud hole type endeavors. No offense,  you're a jeep owner so more power to you,  I'd wave :)  Just I spent years going to trails in KY, IN, ILL, MO and have seen some real gnarly jeeps and what they can do and what gets busted up.   For a family Jeep yours will do lights and all, but for real trails you would have to add more than fender flares to step your game up.

I won't argue with most of that, but my Jeep isn't done yet.  I'm going
with a 3" lift, 35s and replacing the drive shafts when I quit spending
money on guns.  I chose my light location because bumper lights suck
for traversing water if you want to see the opposite bank and roof
lights get hit pretty easy on wooded trails here.  The nice thing about the windshield mounts is that is easier to pay attention to your lights without ripping them off.  You don't seriously believe you're then only one that's done any real off roading do you?  I wish I had some photos around of my old 88 Commanche; that thing was a beast.

Having said that, you really don't loose any capability with the 4 door over the 2 door.  Turning radius might be an issue on something extremely tight, but 4 doors have had no problems at Moab and some of the other hot spots.  The ride in the 4 door is far more comfortable both on and off road.  If you trailer your Jeep to the trails this wouldn't matter, but I prefer to drive mine and thinned out my herd from 4 cars to 2.  The only thing I would have done differently is to get a Rubi instead of my Sahara.  I have the 4.10 gears(for now), but I don't have the e-disco or D44 front.  Both can be had for a fair sum though.  The 4 door makes a better mall crawler since it actually has some decent storage space as well.

BTW, I replaced my fenders because I ripped off one of the rears with my license plate bracket on a tight trail. The JKs are quite capable in stock form.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#20]
A four-door JK... the poor mans Hummer.  

Seriously, for 18-20 MPG, you might as well buy used and avoid the 30k price tag.  No value added in the long-term.  

Besides, Chrysler is tits-up right now.  It'll be back, but who knows in what form.

Signed,
TJ Owner
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't read the whole thread (it's late), but I hate the JK and could care less for the four doors.  The thing handles like shit.  I have a 88YJ with 5" of lift and 34x10.5 Swampers.  My brother bought the JK for his business and I have driven it alot.  Hate it.  Hit a bump and it bump steers to the next lane.  No go go.  It accelerates like an electric wheelchair.

Best setup is a TJ Rubicon.  Just a lift is needed.  Factory drivetrain on a TJ Rubicon is virtually bulletproof.  Its really hard to bust a Dana 44 on a 3000lb vehicle.

ETA: Any Jeep is better than no Jeep!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Go for it as long as it's through a private party. I have a 99 wrangler and I love it! Unfortunately, I will never be buying a new Obama/Chrysler Jeep again!.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the 4 door!
My brother has the 2 door and getting into the back seat without the top off is a major pain in the ass!
My 2000 Jeep's seats move forward much farther than his 2008.
I have no problem getting into my back seat.
His seats leave a gap of about 4 inches at the bottom and 8 at the top when the seat is tilted forward to let someone climb in back.
I'm 6' 285 lbs and it is ridiculous how tight the gap is.

Get the 4 door.

Even if you never plan on more than 2 people in the Jeep it is still a major hassle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A four-door JK... the poor mans Hummer.  

Seriously, for 18-20 MPG, you might as well buy used and avoid the 30k price tag.  No value added in the long-term.  

Besides, Chrysler is tits-up right now.  It'll be back, but who knows in what form.

Signed,
TJ Owner
If Hummer wanted to make a jeep-like vehicle,without blowing the Jeep trademarks,the JK would be the result.

That said,it's the JK that saved the Wrangler,as TJ sales were really down,by '06. Funny,anyone who is looking for a TJ,good luck finding a good deal on one.(course I'm talking about one with the damned near immortal 4.0,NOT the 2.5/2.4)

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Make sure you get a BFL sticker...Love my 2009 2 Door!  It handles well and hs not got stuck yet.  

The 4 doors in my opinion look silly unless they have a lift and 35s.  Make sure you get 4X4 if you buy a 4 DR.  They sell a 4 DR in 2 wheel drive that I would be embarrassed to drive.

All I have replaced on my Jeep is the wheels/tires.  In the pic, it is sporting the Rubicon wheels/32" mud tires after I swapped out my factory p225/16s.  I still need a small lift, a winch, a tow hitch, and slightly lower gears.  I already have a Dana 44 in the rear and a Dana 30 in the front, but for what I will use the Jeep for, that should be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top