Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2009 6:33:42 PM EDT
I saw a FN FS2000 at the show today, it looked very impressive.

Positives were...

Great bullpup design, well balanced, takes AR mags, piston system so it runs very clean, doesn't have the "face blast" when used by lefties, very high quality, a few others.

Cons were..

Price ($2100), mags do not drop free, heavy trigger.

Anyone here who owns one, please chime in with an AAR. Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTTC.

Why do you want a gey gun?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
how do you gey one?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
how do you gey one?

You don't want to know!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you trying to turn IT gay? Make it see your side of the fence?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Positives were...

Great bullpup design, well balanced, takes AR mags, piston system so it runs very clean, doesn't have the "face blast" when used by lefties, very high quality, a few others.

Cons were..

Anyone here who owns one, please chime in with an AAR. Thanks in advance for any info.

Those are some pretty significant cons in my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
in. its still gey.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Mags are non-drop free because of the gasket in the mag well.  My understanding is it can be removed to allow drop-free mags.  It acts as a seal to prevent grit and foreign material from getting in through the mag well.

Trigger... well, can't help ya there.  The one I fondled had a decent trigger.  At least as good as the milsurp AKs and old C&R bolt guns I collect, and I shoot decent with those.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Why the fuck is it so THICK?

To me it sucks ass. It's an over priced, slightly shorter AR that doesn't do enough better than an AR to justify it's stupid fucking price.

Plus it looks like shit, fucking shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you trying to turn IT gay? Make it see your side of the fence?

You homos lighten up.

The med cycle is rough on the weekends.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]
You'll get more help here.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a decent enough rifle but i sold mine because i couldn't stand the fact that you cant easily access or even see the bolt/chamber.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Considering that it's the price of three bare bones AR15's, I'd have to pass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I've played with them in Belgium at FNH........there's a reason they have had no significant military sales, it's the suck......
IF you want one just to have one and to play with.......get it.
Other than that.....it's the gey......

A big butt girl that is slow to reload. Crappy handling, feels like a turd.
It would have to be probably the last gun I would want. And that says a lot
cause I test a lot of stuff and there's a lot of stuff I don't like.

The military scope is the suck too.....tiny FOV.

For a toy sure.........for anything else, get something, anything better.........
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You'll get more help here.  

Thanks I appreciate it, I'll look over there.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
True, it's chunky, but the one I handled at the NRA show did have nice ergos, and the rearward weight distribution makes most bullpups feel like you can shoulder them in an offhand shooting position all day long.

I wasn't impressed with the little trap door you flip up to check the chamber, or you fiddle around in if there's a jam or a misfeed. I also think they missed an opportunity with how damn thick the stock and body are to make a flared trumpet-like magazine well that guides the mag in real easily. Sort of like how IPSC/USPSA race-guns have that flared mag-well added to them.

Personally, I'm waiting on the Kel-Tec RFB to come out in 5.56. If it's decent in 7.62, (What little anecdotal evidence of the few in circulation so far says it's good) it should be a winner in 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
ugly ,to expensive,to many parts ,to much plastic,lack of spare parts and ugly

other than that GTG!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Either get a PS90 or MSAR STG 556.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've played with them in Belgium at FNH........there's a reason they have had no significant military sales, it's the suck......

For a toy sure.........for anything else, get something, anything better.........

Did you have a chance to interview anyone from the Belgium Land Component?  I've read they still use the FNC but have fielded the FS2000 in limited quantity.  Curious if the shortcomings that are obvious are exacerbated by field conditions.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good info...thanks.

i have plenty of AR's , thought I might get one of these as a toy, play with it a while then sell it when the new wears off.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

To me it sucks ass. It's an over priced, slightly shorter AR that doesn't do enough better than an AR to justify it's stupid fucking price.

thats what she said.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info...thanks.

i have plenty of AR's , thought I might get one of these as a toy, play with it a while then sell it when the new wears off.

Thanks again.

OK, if you want to get it as a toy........go for it! Toys are different. Anything that floats your boat.
Might be a good investment too. It is different and unique.
You'll have fun playing with it, it will be unique on the range and when you get tired of it
maybe you can trade up to a SCAR or something else that you fancy.

I say go for it and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I really like them, but I'm not in the market for one right now and here's why:

-price

-price

-lacks the Swiss army knife modularity of the AR platform

-spare parts availability

-plenty reliable, but I still like better access to the guts of my rifle in case of a serious malf

-designed strictly for USGI mags.  "continuous curve" types such as the vast majority of the new polymer mags and the HK steel mags won't fit

-did I mention price?  (in fairness though, it's a deal compared to what SCARs are going for)

That's what it boils down to...in a vacuum, I think it's a damn good rifle, and it really does handle nicely.  The trigger isn't great, but it's plenty good enough for a combat rifle.  If it were the same price as a good AR, I'd have one, but it doesn't do anything that much better to justify 3x the cost of one of my builds AND having to worry about a whole different logistics problem with parts, mags, etc.

If you're rich, or just have to be different, go for it.  There's much to recommend them!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#23]
AUG's are cooler.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Owned one - sold it after a few hundred rounds.

Trigger is impossible.
Cleaning is a nightmare.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Positives were...

Cons were..

I love mine! If you tear out the rubber dust seal in the magwell the mags will drop free. (I chose not to do this). Don't stick a 20 or 40 round mag in, they are hard to get out. BETA mags don't fit either.  Can't do anything about the trigger pull.

Other than that, they are great guns. I really do love mine (they grow on you) and am thinking about picking another one up. Shop around, sometimes on GB you see them in the 17-1800 dollar range.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Owned one - sold it after a few hundred rounds.

Trigger is impossible.
Cleaning is a nightmare.

Got time to give us the down-n-dirty

Inquiring minds want to know.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Considering that it's the price of three bare bones AR15's, I'd have to pass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Maybe two years ago. Show me three new AR's for $2100.00 and I'll stand corrected.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Trigger was shoddy. Cleaning was just as easy if not easier than a AR15.

Mine was dead nuts accurate.

I shouldn't have sold mine. I regret it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you're rich, or just have to be different, go for it.  There's much to recommend them!

I'm far from being rich, I just trade toys for toys.

A friend of mine who IS  rich, but is just getting into AR's, offered me the big dollar for a basic AR, that I have about $600 in. I'll take that, sell a few HK parts that have been laying around for years, and get the FN.

I think I will try the FN, and see how it goes, I'm sure it won't be my "go to gun", but I think it would be nice to have one.

I appreciate all the info you guys have offered.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Its made for Splinter Cell.  Not a slam, I'm just saying it would fill that role well. Now all I have to do is get out of the SEALs and into third echelon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cons were..

Price ($2100), mags do not drop free, heavy trigger, shaped like a tuna fish.

Fixed it for you  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Militaries passed on it because the two ports in front for the spent shells get plugged with dirt easily and then it jams.  In other words, less reliable than a standard $800 AR.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Militaries passed on it because the two ports in front for the spent shells get plugged with dirt easily and then it jams.  In other words, less reliable than a standard $800 AR.

huh? What two ports are you talking about?

No militaries use it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_F2000

East Timor: In the 2006 Operation Astute, peacekeeping forces led by the Australian Defence Force confiscated several of these weapons from Timorese police forces. It is not known how the rifles came into the possession of the local police force.

Belgium: The F2000 rifle has been used by the Belgian Army Special Forces Group since 2004 and is currently being issued to regular infantry formations as a successor to the FN FNC service rifle. Initially, both rifles will be used alongside each other at a rate of two F2000 per eight-person infantry squad.

Chile: The Chilean Army Special Forces (Fuerzas Especiales) use the F2000 rifle with the P90.

Croatia: The Croatian Army tested the rifle in 2006. As of 2008[update], the 1st Airborne Company of the Special Operations Battalion is the only army unit equipped with this weapon. According to unofficial estimates, approx. 100 rifles have been purchased.[5]

India: Used by the Special Protection Group.

Pakistan: The Pakistan Air Force Special Service Wing (SSW) use the F2000 among other weapons.

Peru: Peruvian Army special forces actively use the F2000 rifle.

Poland: Used by GROM in limited numbers.

Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia is rumored to have signed a contract with FN Herstal in 2005 for 50,000 F2000 rifles to complement their P90 purchase.

Slovenia: In June 2006, the ministry of defence of the Republic of Slovenia signed a contract with FN Herstal involving the acquisition of 6,500 F2000 rifles as the new standard service rifle for the Slovenian Army (Slovenska vojska).[6]

This is arguably the first confirmed large-scale adoption for this rifle by a European and NATO member country. The basic F2000 Tactical model was upgraded according to Slovenian specifications and designated F2000 S, the most apparent feature being a raised Picatinny rail also functioning as a carrying handle. The rifle debuted on 25 July 2007. Rearmament was completed by the end of 2007. In 2012 the Slovenian army is going to equip its reserve forces with the F2000 S as well. The Slovenian army will ultimately purchase 14,000 rifles.[7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]
We have one down at the shop where I work part-time. We have alot of people look at it, but no takers.
One regular customer calls it the "Tuna" because when you hold it, it's like holding a big fish.
They probably work well and are just fine, but if you buy it, the owner will be giddy with joy on the inside that you did.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#35]
i fondled one at a gunshop and loved it... If i ever spent that much on a gun or got a bullpup, it would be the fs2000.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Nopoint really. It's hard to check the internals and it is not very ergonomic.

If you really want a bull-pup get a Styer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#37]
What happens if it jams?

that would be my biggest concern.

Or what if the ejection tube gets clogged? What happens if it kabooms? an out of battery detonation would take half your face off with the little plastic cover over the action....
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Ergonomics are terrible... no drop free is a huge no-no. An AR trigger sucks bad enough, those things are terrible.

They're ugly... and expensive.

I would prefer an AR over one... and it won't even cost me 2100usd.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nopoint really. It's hard to check the internals and it is not very ergonomic.

If you really want a bull-pup get a Styer.

I've owned several Steyr Augs over the years, got my first one in the late eighties.

IIRC, they were about $1400 back then, now they are twice what the FN's are going for.

Of the two, the Aug would be my my first choice for a go to gun, but the cost of the gun and mags make it cost prohibitive. The jury is still out on the current ones made in the states, so I'm not yet ready for one of them.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh? What two ports are you talking about?

No militaries use it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_F2000

East Timor: In the 2006 Operation Astute, peacekeeping forces led by the Australian Defence Force confiscated several of these weapons from Timorese police forces. It is not known how the rifles came into the possession of the local police force.

Belgium: The F2000 rifle has been used by the Belgian Army Special Forces Group since 2004 and is currently being issued to regular infantry formations as a successor to the FN FNC service rifle. Initially, both rifles will be used alongside each other at a rate of two F2000 per eight-person infantry squad.

Chile: The Chilean Army Special Forces (Fuerzas Especiales) use the F2000 rifle with the P90.

Croatia: The Croatian Army tested the rifle in 2006. As of 2008[update], the 1st Airborne Company of the Special Operations Battalion is the only army unit equipped with this weapon. According to unofficial estimates, approx. 100 rifles have been purchased.[5]

India: Used by the Special Protection Group.

Pakistan: The Pakistan Air Force Special Service Wing (SSW) use the F2000 among other weapons.

Peru: Peruvian Army special forces actively use the F2000 rifle.

Poland: Used by GROM in limited numbers.

Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia is rumored to have signed a contract with FN Herstal in 2005 for 50,000 F2000 rifles to complement their P90 purchase.

Slovenia: In June 2006, the ministry of defence of the Republic of Slovenia signed a contract with FN Herstal involving the acquisition of 6,500 F2000 rifles as the new standard service rifle for the Slovenian Army (Slovenska vojska).[6]

This is arguably the first confirmed large-scale adoption for this rifle by a European and NATO member country. The basic F2000 Tactical model was upgraded according to Slovenian specifications and designated F2000 S, the most apparent feature being a raised Picatinny rail also functioning as a carrying handle. The rifle debuted on 25 July 2007. Rearmament was completed by the end of 2007. In 2012 the Slovenian army is going to equip its reserve forces with the F2000 S as well. The Slovenian army will ultimately purchase 14,000 rifles.[7]

The two holes in front where the shells come out.  IIRC it was Great Britain who tried it out and didn't like the mud problem.  Other than Belgium (where FN is located) I don't see other western powers on your list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top