Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2009 5:43:37 PM EDT
Today I woke up and the wife and I went out to one of the local festivals.  Just before we got in the car I noticed that my hands were aching for some reason.  More than anything my right hand was hurting.  It was a dull ache. Almost like when you wake up in the morning on a cold day.  That's the best way I can describe it.  After being there for a while my wife said, let me see your hand and she freaked because it looked like it was twice it's normal size. My left hand was swollen too but not as noticeably. I did not mash it in anything and have not been using my hands hard within the last 3 days.  She thinks I should see a doctor but I don't think so much of it. It's bothering me a little bit right now but there is no swelling.  I should not that when it was swollen the meaty portions next to my pinky finger and thumb on my palm were pretty much rock hard. I was having a hard time making a fist.

I think the heat had something to do with it, it was 90 degrees today.  Then again, they have never swollen noticably when it is hot outside.  I have bad cholesteral but my blood pressure is always normal/good.  Anyway, just wanting to see what you guys thought it could possibly be....I'll probably end up going to medical anyhow.  It'll take me a few days and inevitably the symptoms will go away and they will tell me that nothing is wrong and to go back to work....that's why I hardly go to medical.

In before the people who want dibs on my guns and those who tell me to stop jerking off.

ETA:
No allergies known other than sulpha drugs
No extra salt ingested
meat between index and thumb still hurt on palm and top of hand.
no numbness
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on guns and ammo.

And quit jerking off.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Gonarhea
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]

spider bite

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Stop jerking off.......................oops, you already said that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gonarhea

that would be hard to catch since I haven't had sex with anyone in years besides my wife....wait
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

spider bite

funny you say that because I have a sore that looks like a boil/spider bit just behind my right ear, it's been there for a few days though. and it won't pop
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Arthritis...
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Arthritis...

At 27???
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably an allergic reaction to something...

did you use a new lube today?

No but seriously may be an allergic reaction.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
In before someone tells you to go to the hospital.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I got RA at 35, so why not.

Or maybe you just had to much salt.  

I'm not a doc, I dont know.  lol
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you eat a bunch of salty food?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
allergic reaction?  try some benadryl maybe
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arthritis...

At 27???

Yes, it can start even earlier.

Have you changed soaps or anything like that lately?  I have had a nasty reaction to some hand soap before that did that to me.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#15]

The older I get the more I hurt stuff and do not know how.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#16]
You're getting ready to start your period.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Carpal Tunnel.

Ever wake up and have your hand/s feel as if they were run over by a truck?...carpal tunnel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Carpal Tunnel.

Ever wake up and have your hand/s feel as if they were run over by a truck?...carpal tunnel.

every damn day during the winter. It was worse when I lived in VA.  I had a pulled pork sandwich and a beer for lunch. No more salt than usual. I'm not allergic to anything that I know of besides Sulfa drugs and that only gives me a rash.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Carpal tunnel syndrome primarily causes numbness, it can cause achiness, but I've never seen it cause swelling.

Could be RA, but I doubt it, it most commonly presents in the hand with swelling over the MCP joints, not the thenar and hypothenar eminences.

DVT is in the differential, but would be unlikey.

Best bet is to get into an orthopedic surgeon if your symptoms persist, primary care hand evaluations are dubious at best.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#20]
gout
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Carpal tunnel syndrome primarily causes numbness, it can cause achiness, but I've never seen it cause swelling.

Could be RA, but I doubt it, it most commonly presents in the hand with swelling over the MCP joints, not the thenar and hypothenar eminences.

DVT is in the differential, but would be unlikey.

Best bet is to get into an orthopedic surgeon if your symptoms persist, primary care hand evaluations are dubious at best.

What is DVT???  

ETA: No numbness.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds allerigc to me... some kind of local reaction.

Handle anything irritant?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sounds allerigc to me... some kind of local reaction.

Handle anything irritant?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

does my wife count?? hahaha. Then again, we did put on sunscreen. Maybe I can put it on my hands again and see if they swell up again
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#24]
tap x 2
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Rheumatic fever.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Next time your at the Doctor ask him to check your Rheumatoid factor. Its an easy test and will rule out RA. I have severe RA and have lots of problems with sweiling in my hands. Sometimes its so bad I get blood blisters on my knuckles. The skin on my hands is peeling again from the last bout of severe swelling. If your feet hurt you too you might want to see a doc sooner rather than later. RA is tremendously treatable these days so its not something to freak out about. Not like it will cripple you like it used to do to people.

You probably don't have it. You might have a bit or plain old wear and tear arthritis though. Even at 27. Especially if you've been super active physically. It happens.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#27]
That's normal.

The Swine Flu is progressing nicely.

Tomorrow your balls will fall off.

Get laid asap.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#28]
You can have Rheumatoid Arthritis with a negative Rheumatoid factor, that doesn't rule out anything.

DVT is deep venous thrombosis, a blood clot.  It is much less common in the upper extremity as compared to the lower, it would be unusual in your age range, but it is hard to diagnose stuff over the internet.

If your symptoms persist, get thee to a doctory!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#29]

It sounds like you are retaining fluid in your hands. Arthritis would effect your joints. It would not swell muscle and the entire hands simultaneously as you desribed.
Fluid retention/edema can have several causes. With out knowing your age, medical history, other concurrent conditions/symptoms etc., an internet diagnosis is hindered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arthritis...

At 27???

can happen, but in both hands?  a not very likely occurrence of an even less likely occurrence.

My wild guesses would be an:

allergic reaction

bug bites

allergic reaction to bug bites

some systemic illness like lupus or similar (just a guess) your immune system is reacting abnormally.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Carpal Tunnel.

But in both hands?  one hand yeah, both onset at the same time?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#32]
'batin.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
gout

nope gout like that we could here him screaming all the way out here in CA.  And he for sure could not type.  (Usually shows up in feet and toes first)  And he definitely would be complaining of extreme pain.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Had similar issues of late... got a new bed I hate and I think I have been shoving  my hands under my pillow when sleeping, possibly cutting off circulation?? maybe causing the issues?? don't know for sure but I suddenly feel old.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#35]
notice, do you walk alot/exert yourself when it happens?

when i was more out of shape, walking/running would make my hands get swollen and achy, and i could feel my heartbeat/pulse in them ACHE ...ACHE....ACHE...

but i lost a ton of weight and it went away....i dunno, just one of those things...
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carpal Tunnel.

But in both hands?  one hand yeah, both onset at the same time?

Thats how mine came on.. oddest thing.. 28 years old and a mechanic by trade..  Both hands started hurting and had numbness and tingling in the thumb, index, middle and half of ring finger.. Started waking me up at night with pretty bad pain. Would swell some days.. All this happened over a 2 month period, very quick onset.

Had both hands cut about 5 months ago and everything is all good now!

The real big symptom of Carpal Tunnel is the numbness and tingling in the fingers I listed and the absence of it in the little finger. It also hurt a good deal at the elbow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It sounds like you are retaining fluid in your hands. Arthritis would effect your joints. It would not swell muscle and the entire hands simultaneously as you desribed.
Fluid retention/edema can have several causes. With out knowing your age, medical history, other concurrent conditions/symptoms etc., an internet diagnosis is hindered.

bummer, looks like I should go the doctors office....I'm avoiding it because if I'm F'd up, I can't transfer to my next unit next month.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quit coming up with stories and admit that your wife kicked your ASS in arm wrestling..
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Nobody mentioned...  SWINE FLU!

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I run over 5 miles a week.  However, in the last 6 months I have had chest pains twice. Most notably because it included shooting pain up my neck and down my left arm the first time. The second time, Friday, it went up my neck. It felt like someone pinching a nerve or something....weird.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Could be heart problems. Get checked out. BTW did you happen to check your legs and feet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
gout

+1

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Didn't you have another thread about a similar health concern recently, or am I confusing you with someone else?

Seriously, if you think you were bitten by a spider, you should go to a doc.

You could be experiencing a systemic autoimmune response, which can cause joint inflammation throughout your body.

I went through it from a spider bite five years ago.

It can get into symptoms very similar to rheumatoid arthritis.

"Infectious arthritis" from insect bites used to be very common about 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Could be heart problems. Get checked out. BTW did you happen to check your legs and feet.

feet were fine. I was wearing sandles all day.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like the beginning stages of Carpal tunnel to me.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run over 5 miles a week.  However, in the last 6 months I have had chest pains twice. Most notably because it included shooting pain up my neck and down my left arm the first time. The second time, Friday, it went up my neck. It felt like someone pinching a nerve or something....weird.

OK , try pulmonary edema.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Get checked out. Sometimes I have a few fingers that swell to where I can't use them. Advil, ice and elevation..
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Didn't you have another thread about a similar health concern recently, or am I confusing you with someone else?

Seriously, if you think you were bitten by a spider, you should go to a doc.

You could be experiencing a systemic autoimmune response, which can cause joint inflammation throughout your body.

I went through it from a spider bite five years ago.

It can get into symptoms very similar to rheumatoid arthritis.

"Infectious arthritis" from insect bites used to be very common about 100 years ago.

No, no other thread from me that I recall.  I have what appears to be a bite/pimple behind my right ear. It's been there for almost a week. It was sore to the touch for 2 days and then just stopped bothering me,  No red streaks or anything.  You've gotta understand that at my base, there is no sick call, it's make an appointment and wait a few days to see a doc.  By that time you're either better or the symptoms have gone away.  Why fucking idiots who aren't .mil want socialized health care is beyond me.  IF something is horribly wrong I will go to the ER.  I knew a guy who would just skip the whole sick call thing and go to paitient first after he got off work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

gout

+1

I doubt it's gout. I have it in my big toe and it's pretty much horrible pain, not 'hey that's kind of achy'.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top