Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 3:48:56 PM EDT
This will be the first time i've ever purchased a NEW motorcycle.  I can't find a used model.  I've been looking for a couple months now.  I'll be purchasing in the Atlanta, GA area.  The bike i'm looking at is the Ducati 848 (white) and I have cash in hand for the purchase.  MSRP is $13995.

Any advice is welcome.  Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
get one that is last years model.
used ones are alot cheaper.
dealers that are going outta businesses.
ama may have discounts associated with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea here that is motorcycle speific, but call everywhere within extended travel range and try to get serious quotes,
\Discount determines range.

Thats somewaht of a universal method though.  Expect since its warm everyone wants one now so you might be hurt there
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
get one that is last years model.
used ones are alot cheaper.
dealers that are going outta businesses.
ama may have discounts associated with it.

None of that is going to apply for a Ducati 848.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The three Harley dealers I've been to in the past few weeks act as if they're doing you a favor by selling you a bike on their terms. Assclowns all.

Tagged.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No idea here that is motorcycle speific, but call everywhere within extended travel range and try to get serious quotes,
\Discount determines range.

Thats somewaht of a universal method though.  Expect since its warm everyone wants one now so you might be hurt there

Tried this.  Everyone said $13995.    I might just show up with cash in hand and throw it on the table.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Pssst, it's a Ducati.
A Ducati 848.

Did you check http://www.ducati848.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12046?

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pssst, it's a Ducati.
A Ducati 848.

Did you check http://www.ducati848.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12046?

I'm a member there.  I've been in contact with a few people.  Just covering all of my bases.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
15K OTD is about as good as it seems to get for the 848's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Send out faxes to all dealers in your area.

Tell them what you are looking for Model etc.... State that you have cash for the full amount, have them send you their best out the door price.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Send out faxes to all dealers in your area.

Tell them what you are looking for Model etc.... State that you have cash for the full amount, have them send you their best NO Bullshit out the door price.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If you must have a Ducati 848, it sounds like you'll have to plunk the money down they're asking.  If there aren't leftover 2008's out there, and if they don't sound like they're interested in dealing, there isn't much you can do.

You can, however, ask yourself if any of a number of Japanese machines with similar or better performance and 4-5K smaller price tags are a good way to show the Ducati dealership that you aren't buying into the brand premium they're pushing.  Is the desmodromic marketing hyperbole and the ensuing high maintenance cost something you really need?  You'll still be motorcycling either way...

Only you can know which approach is right.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Good deals on motorcycles?

Wait till fall.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good deals on motorcycles?

Wait till fall.

I know alot of people at work are looking to buy one now, back in November only one person was looking, everyone else was going to wait until summer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#14]
If demand is high and supply is low you don't have much bargaining room on price.  See if they will sweeten the deal a little with some add-ons, service, etc.  A lot of times a dealer will have a little more breathing room on these items than the bike price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If demand is high and supply is low you don't have much bargaining room on price.  See if they will sweeten the deal a little with some add-ons, service, etc.  A lot of times a dealer will have a little more breathing room on these items than the bike price.

I thought about offering them the $13995 if they throw in a free helmet.  I need a new one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy last years model.  You will find someone that got scared and decided to sell.  New bikes lose that value as soon as you ride away.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buy last years model.  You will find someone that got scared and decided to sell.  New bikes lose that value as soon as you ride away.

Doesn't exist.  Not in my area.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
i dont know any dealers in georgia  so i cant be any help there. If you are more concerned with the "best price" you can get it for, then you will have to be willing to travel. I work for a kaw & suz dealership in pensacola fl. There is a very good ducati/triumph/ ktm dealer here called D&D cycles. Give them a call and they maybe able to help you on price. One of the guys there was the first to qualify for daytona on a TRIUMPH a couple of years ago. I think he ended up finishing in the top ten that year. Anyway, they are very good people to deal with.But remember about service after the sale.., such as warranty issues,  p.m. ...  tires , etc. You are better off buying from a local dealer ( if there worth there salt ) than buying out of town.Also i would like to say this, as it seems everyone thinks motorcycle dealerships make a "killin" off of bike sales. That is total bullshit..., if you make 5% off of a new unit, you did great. We only make a little money on service and parts. Remember this..,
a salesmen may sell the first bike to you but the service after the sale will  determine if you buy your second bike from the same dealership.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
15K OTD is about as good as it seems to get for the 848's.

<–––––––––– That was about 15 OTD . Find a demo model....mile it out for them.....come with some cash......Their not going to negotiate much in most Ducati shops but  you can get a deal if the right pieces fall into place. I helped them mile this bike out and had bought a previous bike from them. They didn't come down on the price much but all the accesories came with it as well as a nifty paint job.

BTW That's a 1098 not an 848.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
last years model is good idea and Craigslist?   I lived in College Park in the mid 80s and made a very good buy on a year old bike from a Honda dealer who owned like 3 stores in the area at the time. 10 years later, I traded the bike for a wing and got almost every

cent back on trade and some off the other end as well. I got a 10% discount on acc. too. One of the best deals I have ever done. I am usually on the wrong end of all my deals. I still have the wing and it still looks and runs and rides like new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top