Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 11:41:12 AM EDT
Open up the letter and it said our house has gone $100,000 up in value.

No way, I don't get it.  Home sales and home prices are at rock bottom but our house goes up 100 grand???  

Is this just obama trying to get some more tax money in a sneaky way?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Challenge it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, I think property tax is calculated in part by how much the house is worth right? (I live in an apartment)
So the more your house is worth, the more you have to pay.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#3]
They're trying to raise your taxes.

Fight it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
They need more money.  Challenge it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I am def. going to challenge it.  

As far as I am concerned, my house most likely should be worth less these days.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Any major improvements or additions to the property? I heard about a guy getting hosed on property taxable value because he added a garage with a bathroom, or something like that. Apparently the configuration made it qualify as a dwelling, so instead of a $30k outbuilding, it was a $100k house.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
We just got the same thing here in Knox county,  it seem that our goverment(local, state, fed) officials all seem to think that the only way to solve problems is to spend and give away more money. Give them hell Fred!
Fred on the economy

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]
This is SCARY.  

Government doing whatever they want to take even MORE taxes.  Fucking corruption runs deep.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Just had mine appraised for refinancing and they came back with $92,000 less than what my town had it appraised for, using their own firm of course, about 2 months ago. So now I have a meeting with town hall about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I was going for a refi and mine dropped 40K.  I guess I should bring that to my town and make them take not of it and lower my taxes
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Ironic, as I got my tax bill today for the county I live in Colorado. It also said my house went up in value, not by $100K, but still a significant amount considering the local housing market. Letter said they used the Jan 1 valuation, which obviously didn't include the "walk away" Californicator repo next door, that just closed last month for almost $100K under its peak valuation. Fortunately the house was bought by a profesional couple with kids, so no loss to the neighborhood (except price comps) and they got a good deal.

I will appeal the increase, as will most neighbors here. It is just a naked attempt to raise taxes. Tax Assessor here is an elected position.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fight it.

Bingo get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Really bad in VA, state law says counties can reappraise property every year.  They do in Fairfax and my property value doubled from 2004 to 2008!  Now paying over four grand even after an appeal!  Got to move ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fight it.

Bingo get a lawyer.

The county appraiser generally has an appeal process that you should take advantage of and you may not need a lawyer.  Start shopping for comparable houses in your area.  When you find them, file an appeal and list those houses as being substantially less.  Your local appraiser should then re-appraise it to its proper price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#15]
most Texas housing values are flat with a small portion up dependant on location, but 100K increase in a flat market, with housing being destablized and Cali looking at another possible 10 to 20% devaluation.,,.FIGHT IT..

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My parcel got re-appraised and increased $178,000. I did the appeal thing and got an $88,500 decrease from the original re-appraisal, so it's definately worth going in for the review. If you want some advise, PM me. I'll probably be out most of this evening though, so it may be tomorrow before I get back
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
We had our mountain house reappraised (for loan purposes) and it came back as having increased in value $95K in 3 years.  I think it really depends upon the area.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like somone may be trying to tax you more based on property value.

If anything in this market the value is much lower. I am watching for my property tax stuff so i can make sure i don't get shafted.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ironic, as I got my tax bill today for the county I live in Colorado. It also said my house went up in value, not by $100K, but still a significant amount considering the local housing market. Letter said they used the Jan 1 valuation, which obviously didn't include the "walk away" Californicator repo next door, that just closed last month for almost $100K under its peak valuation. Fortunately the house was bought by a profesional couple with kids, so no loss to the neighborhood (except price comps) and they got a good deal.

I will appeal the increase, as will most neighbors here. It is just a naked attempt to raise taxes. Tax Assessor here is an elected position.

We lost $38,000 in value since last year, according to the letter we got yesterday...Aurora, btw.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]
When asked about paying taxes, JESUS stated that one must "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and render unto GOD that which is GOD's."

JESUS left unanswered the question of what to do when Caesar takes what isn't his. Perhaps we are left to find a suitable answer for ourselves. I wonder if there are any examples in history as to how this question should be answered?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#21]
My assessment this year was a bit higher...

So I logged on to the county's website to see what my neighbors assessments were like and was shocked to see that my house was a lot higher than others in the neighborhood.  This is not a cookie cutter development, it was sold as lots.  Even so, on a price per square foot I was assessed more than any other house.  I protested the assessment and was able to get it lowered 20%

I think the key is to see how you compare to nearby properties and to find examples that are similar to yours, but assessed lower.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When asked about paying taxes, JESUS stated that one must "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and render unto GOD that which is GOD's."

JESUS left unanswered the question of what to do when Caesar takes what isn't his. Perhaps we are left to find a suitable answer for ourselves. I wonder if there are any examples in history as to how this question should be answered?

So you're wondering what to do if Caesar was demanding money from another country?

"Bring Me a denarius to look at." They brought one. And He said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" And they said to Him, "Caesar's." And Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.""

Last I checked, property taxes in the US are levied in US Dollars, which carry the inscription of the US government. Unless your name is on your money, instead of the governments, I don't think that you have a Biblical argument for saying that the money doesn't belong to the government. If you start minting your own currency, and the government demands tax payments in YOUR currency instead of their own, then you may have an argument for Caesar taking what isn't his.

And while Jesus may not have personally specifically addressed the question of what to do if you mint your own currency and then the government demands that you give it to them, it seems to be covered elsewhere in the New Testament:

"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority,  or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men."
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Really bad in VA, state law says counties can reappraise property every year.  They do in Fairfax and my property value doubled from 2004 to 2008!  Now paying over four grand even after an appeal!  Got to move ASAP.

four grand?

I'm paying 12 on a 4 bedroom

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#24]

FYI:

Assessment is the value used to determine how much your taxes will be.

Appraisal is the value used to determine market value for lending purposes.

Just trying to help.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#25]
You didn't mention the time since last appraisal. If it's been 5 years you house probably has gone up 100k in value. 2 years ago it would have been 200k. If your last appraisal was only a year or two ago, they are trying to fuck you. You'll need to gather sale data and the assessment data for the houses in your neighborhood then appeal it. Everyplace has a different appeals process so look it up. If all of your neighbors got screwed go as a mob. If it's just you your actually better off as it's likely just an honest mistake and should be easier to get adjusted.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fight it.

They are not "trying" to raise his taxes. They just raised them, end of story.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, try to refinance your mortgage and see what the bank says it is worth.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#28]
me too, those fucking cocksuckers
they say mine went up 25%

25 fucking percent, in the worst housing market since the 1930's

in 2 years

does this make dick shit worth of sense to anyone?

It's time.
I'm sick of this shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We lost $38,000 in value since last year, according to the letter we got yesterday...Aurora, btw.

Araphoe county says I lost $20k.  With the foreclosures that have finally reached the area, next year should be even lower.   I'm screening renters and have to hold until the market comes back.

At least Colorado made it so that they couldn't freeze tax rates even if the property fell in value.  They cited it would be  a tax increase.  A last glimmer of sense.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Value is down easily $40K if I had to sell it now; county said it was UP $15K over last year's 10% inflated valuation from the prior year. Monument/Colorado Springs area, CO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top