Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2009 5:11:22 AM EDT
Student Says Teacher Scolded Him for Viewing FOXNews.com
Friday, May 01, 2009  

A Michigan high school is investigating allegations that one of its teachers berated and belittled a student for taking part in what the teacher considered an unacceptable activity: reading FOXNews.com.

A young man who identified himself only as Mitchell, an 18-year-old senior at Traverse City West Senior High School, called in to Rush Limbaugh's radio show Thursday and said he was yelled at in front of his classmates for reading the "wrong" news.

The teacher of his video production class saw what he was looking at and "proceeded to give me a 10-minute lecture on why I can't read FOX News ... and that I can only listen to BBC and other news venues," the student said.

James Feil, superintendent of Traverse City Area Public Schools, told FOXNews.com that any attempts to pressure students politically would go against his schools' policies.

"It would be inappropriate. I would clearly tell you that is not something that we would do anything to indoctrinate students here," he said. "That would clearly be a violation of our policies and guidelines, written or non-written."

Traverse City West principal Joe Tibaldi declined to comment about the inquiry he was leading, but school officials said the student hadn't violated any computer-use rules in his class.

But the school has a strict policy against bullying, which it says "may in circumstances be a violation of federal or state law" and goes against its commitment to provide a safe learning environment.

"Bullying, taunting, stalking, hazing and other forms of harassment ... by any member of the staff are strictly forbidden," according to the school handbook. "Any student or staff member found to have bullied, taunted, stalked, hazed or harassed another person in any form will be subject to discipline."

Traverse City West has several art and science teachers, but it was unclear who leads the video production class. The superintendent wouldn't confirm the involvement of any specific teacher.

Feil said the student never filed a complaint to the school and Tibaldi was following up "in a very responsible and a timely manner."

FOXNews.com's Joseph Abrams contributed to this story.

SOURCE

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]

How many students would not have objected and submitted to the instructor. Kudos to this kid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Blah blah blah
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#3]
fucking brown shirts
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I went to the rival high school, and I can definitely see that happening there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Leftists are drawn to careers in education and media because they want to change the world. We need to balance them out with conservatives, unfortunately most go for real jobs in business after finishing college.

Best we can hope for is that many conservatives will take up teaching as a second career after they have retired from business.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Leftists are drawn to careers in education and media because they want to change the world. We need to balance them out with conservatives, unfortunately most go for real jobs in business after finishing college.

Best we can hope for is that many conservatives will take up teaching as a second career after they have retired from business.

I resent that, I took a job teaching after getting injured badly in construction.
I am by no means a lib.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I resent that, I took a job teaching after getting injured badly in construction.
I am by no means a lib.

Are you getting tired of being offended? Are you fucking serious?....you RESENT that?    Dude wasn't calling YOU out...he was talking about our .gov education and the subsequent professor indoctrination...you comment is the epitome of whats wrong with this country...I hope I fucking offended you this time...you and your type are an anchor for this country.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am by no means a lib.

So you "retired" (due to injury) from a business job and now teach.  And you resent . . . what?    <––-that's the "confused" smiley, even though it doesn't really look confused

It sounds as though you are behind enemy lines.  Good on you!  

My comment was tongue in cheek and yes I am operating behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My experience is different.

Most of the people who wound up in education while I was in college, wound up there after they failed out of another major.

However I do know two successful chemical engineers who chose to leave that profession and get into teaching.  And another really bright and conservative girl who had a plant genetics degree also went to teaching, but she is working with special needs children.

So there are some bright spots.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am by no means a lib.

So you "retired" (due to injury) from a business job and now teach.  And you resent . . . what?    <––-that's the "confused" smiley, even though it doesn't really look confused

It sounds as though you are behind enemy lines.  Good on you!  

My comment was tongue in cheek and yes I am operating behind enemy lines.

Teaching is a very honorable career, perhaps one of the most important, shaping our future by educating our youth.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#12]
meh big deal. Liberal teachers give me shit all the time =/
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I have worked with teachers in two different school districts who had passed the bar exams and were lawyers before they decided to teach. Both of them say they enjoy teaching much more.

I have also found that the percentage of Lib/conservative teachers in a district is proportional to the political makeup of the surrounding area. This I've seen after working in 4 different school districts in California and Montana. The "Lib" teachers always seem to be the louder ones, though.

Anyone who doesn't think teaching is a "Real job" needs to teach high school for a year. <––––This is an example of the faces you make throughout the day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]
The teacher needs a scolding. I think teaching would be a good job for semi-retired educated people who can bring their life experiences into the equation along with their education.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#15]
My prompt reply to the teacher would have been; Fuck off ya asshole.

Any reply from him and go directly to the head guy and complain.

I've recently gone back to school and I'm giving the liberal teachers hell and calling them out on liberal indoctrination at every opportunity.

At 53 I'm the oldest in the classes.  The BS level is going down as they know I will challenge them and be able to back it up.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am by no means a lib.

You resent that he hopes more people will follow your example? Are you confused or just high?

Seriously, I'm glad to have another teacher in the system that isnt a Kieth Olberman drone, but damn dude, with that reading & comprehension level I hope you are just split brained and teaching AP calculus

read the rest of thread. nevermind
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Teaching is a very honorable career, perhaps one of the most important, shaping our future by educating our youth.

So...why is it left to those with no honor [for the most part] to do it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...why is it left to those with no honor [for the most part] to do it?

Wow, thanks for letting a few vocal or criminal bastards shape your view of the entire profession.

The other 99% of us who work hard to provide the best education possible for our students really appreciate the support.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top