Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2009 4:23:11 AM EDT
I hate this time of year, these damn things are everywhere in my house. I'm about to just burn it down.

I woke up with one of the fuckers attached to my shoulder biting me, I couldn't shake it off so I tried to knock it off and it smashed on my arm and it's head was stuck in my skin I'm never sleeping on the couch again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty nasty looking spider, my friend.

Would a call to Orkin be appropriate ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Shit, that beast calls for 230 grains of vengeance!

Recall a b-movie from the 70's with big bad tarantulas where one was on a woman's hand and she shot it off with a huge revolver; and took her hand off, too!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Get yourself some stuff called Cyper WP.  Mix it as directed and spray around windows, doors, along baseboards.  It lasts for months and really works well for spiders and other crawly guys.  Low toxicity for mammals as well.  It's the same stuff that many pros use.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy smokes!
I'd move out and relocate a few states away.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh! what the hell DIBS ON GUNS
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get yourself some stuff called Cyper WP.  Mix it as directed and spray around windows, doors, along baseboards.  It lasts for months and really works well for spiders and other crawly guys.  Low toxicity for mammals as well.  It's the same stuff that many pros use.

Hmm I think I'm going to do that. I live in a rural area, and I just can't keep the things out. I've inspected the house and made sure doors and windows were tight... but the damn things get in anyway, and are all over.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm I think I'm going to do that. I live in a rural area, and I just can't keep the things out. I've inspected the house and made sure doors and windows were tight... but the damn things get in anyway, and are all over.

I live here in TN and had issues with black widows coming in (crickets and various other spiders as well).  After using this stuff I rarely found a bug inside.  You can get it a doyourownpestcontrol.com (no affiliation)  The 1 pound jar will last you for many years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:32:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Beats having Brown Widows...  We get them ALL OVER our house.  They are more timid than they're Black Widow cousins, but still very poisonous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_widow_spider

ETA: added picture and link
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a cat. They love little crawly toys.

You know, from the thread title, I was kinda expecting that you had spiders on your sac, which would have been much more disturbing.

BSW
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Get a cat. They love little crawly toys.

You know, from the thread title, I was kinda expecting that you had spiders on your sac, which would have been much more disturbing.

BSW

And in that case, no pics will be needed, or wanted.  

I'm going to have to try some of that Cyper WP also.  Spiders love my house, I'm getting tired of them, so it's time for some chemical warfare.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Wash your sac more often???  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I love spiders! Last night I saw a web of babies on my compost heap. they were tiny, like tics. Here is a distant shot, for perspective. the green pole is a typical metal fence post you pound in

Here are a couple shots of them up close.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Yea, we get those around here too.  They look like aliens.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love spiders! Last night I saw a web of babies on my compost heap. they were tiny, like tics. Here is a distant shot, for perspective. the green pole is a typical metal fence post you pound in

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/3494309318_a0bf6185cc.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3547/3494309152_9dc93dacd9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3493491481_0c757553d5.jpg

Lighter = CHECK!!
Can of hairspray = CHECK!!

BURN BITCHES!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is a group shot. It was hard to take anything very sharp because the slightest breeze made the web vibrate like a string. I made a video of the little spiders walking around.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Ah, a fellow Ohioan I see!

Yes, the Sac spider plague is upon us now.

And don't get bitten by one either.  They are "medically significant" spiders.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hate this time of year, these damn things are everywhere in my house. I'm about to just burn it down.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/images/2060A.jpg

I woke up with one of the fuckers attached to my shoulder biting me, I couldn't shake it off so I tried to knock it off and it smashed on my arm and it's head was stuck in my skin I'm never sleeping on the couch again.

I would have embarrassed myself if that was me. Hopefully nobody would have been around to see it
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Keep an eye on that bite.  There is some possibility that yellow sac spiders can cause significant bites, but nobody knows much about the venom or effects yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I was expecting spiders living on your nads, I'm very happy you dissapointed me
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wettable Powders won't work.... Unless it's a contact spray:

Chemical Control
Typically pesticide control of spiders is difficult unless you actually see the spider and are able to spray it. There are various insecticides available in retail outlets labeled for spider control, including pyrethrins, resmethrin, allethrin, or combinations of these products. If you spray a spider, it will be killed only if the spray lands directly on it; the spray residual does not have a long-lasting effect. This means a spider can walk over a sprayed surface a few days (and in many cases, a few hours) after treatment and not be affected. Control by spraying is only temporary unless accompanied by housekeeping.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Keep an eye on that bite.  There is some possibility that yellow sac spiders can cause significant bites, but nobody knows much about the venom or effects yet.

The effects can include systemic autoimmune reactions and a week in a hospital.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The effects can include systemic autoimmune reactions and a week in a hospital.

Trust me.

I've been bit by the fuckers probably 20 times. I usually watch the bite and I keep the spider in a vial with rubbing alcohol just in case.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I had one of those bastards (a big one) between the shower curtain and the plastic liner. Scared the shit out of me.

-He was lucky i didn't have my PTR-91 in the shower with me
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chemical Control
Typically pesticide control of spiders is difficult unless you actually see the spider and are able to spray it. There are various insecticides available in retail outlets labeled for spider control, including pyrethrins, resmethrin, allethrin, or combinations of these products. If you spray a spider, it will be killed only if the spray lands directly on it; the spray residual does not have a long-lasting effect. This means a spider can walk over a sprayed surface a few days (and in many cases, a few hours) after treatment and not be affected. Control by spraying is only temporary unless accompanied by housekeeping.

You should inform the manufacturers of all the wettable powders that are used for spider control.  Maybe let the companies that use them know too.  And maybe it just makes them sleepy or something because I always find them curled up around the garage doors where I have sprayed previously.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Doesn't the average person swallow 6 spiders a year in their sleep or something like that?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chemical Control

You should inform the manufacturers of all the wettable powders that are used for spider control.  Maybe let the companies that use them know too.  And maybe it just makes them sleepy or something because I always find them curled up around the garage doors where I have sprayed previously.

By golly I think I'll do just that........
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Allow a few of these guys to live in your house and you won't ever see a spider and if you do i guarantee it won't be around long. these centipedes are very active hunters and spiders are on the menu.  

And always good for a laugh when your wife/gf  sees one of these beasties running across the floor or wall. But I'll be damned if you'll have spiders in your house    

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Doesn't the average person swallow 6 spiders a year in their sleep or something like that?

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This average comes about when you have thousands of slobs living amongst millions of people.  So those slobs actually swallow around 60 spiders to average out for all the people who don't have to swallow spiders.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Allow a few of these guys to live in your house and you won't ever see a spider and if you do i guarantee it won't be around long. these centipedes are very active hunters and spiders are on the menu.  

http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/graphicsfiles/HouseCentipede7lr.jpg

And always good for a laugh when your wife/gf  sees one of these beasties running across the floor or wall. But I'll be damned if you'll have spiders in your house    

This is true, however they are almost more creepy than spiders

On a side note, the only spider I allow to live at my home are wolf spiders. Sure they are freaking huge and are NOT afraid of humans, but they eat crickets, grasshoppers, and other spiders. Plus they don't make nasty webs and they generally only come out late at night

Edit: It should be said that I have a 2 foot kill radius around my chair, if one of those things gets in that 2 food circle, I don't care how many crickets it has eaten its going to die.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/3494309318_a0bf6185cc.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3547/3494309152_9dc93dacd9.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3493491481_0c757553d5.jpg

Fuck that. That would not work out for me. The only living things i like in a house is me and a dog.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I have 4 cats, and no crawly critters at all.  lol
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Embrace diversity and realize spiders are your friend.

Try      "Diatomaceous Earth"     all nature insect killer. Totally non toxic
to anything but insects. Safe to you , your kids and pets. Think it is like
crushed up coral and it dries insects out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Cypermethrin is your friend!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Just mail them to the Capitol in support of the tea bag protests.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top