Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2009 5:26:28 PM EDT
Is the donating party to blame, or the receiver?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]

If you expect something in return for our donation, then it is not truly a donation.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Why are you donating money? To help something or somebody or to generate praise and look like a good person?   I prefer to donate absolutely anonymously.  I generally go to my bank and they will make the donation and tell the party it was anonymous.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
depends on the situation. but common decency says the reciever should offer thanks

ETA: if my buddy asks for $5 for gas, he should say thank you. if i drop a $10 into the collection plate at church, i dont expect a thank you. if i give a college 1mil, i better get a damn thank you card at least
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]
do you want the thanks or do you prefer to remain anonymous?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What if they are asking for a donation?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I just ask, since I donated online, to someone who asked, and not a thanks, or anything.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
6:1 “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

2 “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
This was a donation close and true here...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I am cool with remaining anon, but this makes me want my $20 back.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
My last post on this.

Someone here knows what I am posting, enjoy the $20 in cigs and beer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My last post on this.

Someone here knows what I am posting, enjoy the $20 in cigs and beer.

I lied, not my last post on this.

I guess lifers get a pass, and others post links to rambling geek, with a big 'help a brother out' link to paypal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Fill us in, or atleast point us in the right direction. You give someone here money and they blew you off? Link?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
If it was in Subs chat last night, I thank you.

ETA: if not sorry, but fun was had.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Anonymous makes me feel good
That is my reward

FO
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't give up on giving.

I bought this homeless dude a bike and had a basket put on it  as well as a tune up at a bike shop. Cost was around 150 bucks. I give him the bike and he rides it for a week. I then see him walking all over town so I stop and ask him where the heck the bike is.

He response, "Oh, sorry dude, I sold it." Probably to buy something to feed an addiction to alcohol, but it was his gift, he could do what he wanted, but it hurt a little bit.

I don't let a bad apple ruin it for me and you shouldn't either, although I feel your pain on this issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Coors light 16 Ouncers.

Danny
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
6:1 “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

2 “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

This! Glad I read before posting a response.

Be a cheerful giver and don't worry about being thanked. If you're giving it for the right reasons you already have your thanks

Just food for thought: Has the gov ever sent you a thank you letter for donations? How about GM, Chrysler, AIG and on and on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Subnet is ether full of shit on unemployment, and directing traffic to rambling geek, or is not a grateful recipient of 'help a brother' out donations.

You decide.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I really don't know, but I thank  Mrs MMAjunkie for helping the cause last night.YMMV
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh this could get good, tag.

If you want to give me 20 bucks, i'll say thank you. Don't need it, but I promise not to spend it on cigarettes or beer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't get it. I went to this "rambling geek" you speak of. I see there is a donate button linked directly to PayPal.

Who does this money go to and what is for?

Maybe this stuff is too inside jokish or something, but strange nonetheless.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I don't get it. I went to this "rambling geek" you speak of. I see there is a donate button linked directly to PayPal.

It goes to subnet, he seems to be well stocked in beer and cigs.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As far as I know, it goes to subnet who I believe lost his job.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, so you're mad he's smoking and drinking while crying poverty and collecting donations?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Apparently not an automated thank you system.

I guess I'll leave this in my subscriptions to see upcoming hilarity.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Some days this place makes less sense to me than 4chan does.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That and I am sure bandwidth isn't free.

Subnet always has something entertaining going on.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Never expect anything from giving a donation other than being asked for more.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, so you're mad he's smoking and drinking while crying poverty and collecting donations?

Not mad, just see what is really going on.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This cryptic puzzle has fallen into place. I remember he was unexpectedly laid off from an IT job and is vigorously looking for a job right now.

The PayPal link is to help him get through the tough times.

**kicking my own rear end for not thinking of this myself**
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What did he tell you the money was going to be used for????
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC it was for a New pair of Glasses for his Child or Mrs.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Ruhroh...
I was lied to by the Carrol Shelby foundation. I learned my lesson and have since changed my policy.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

He still needs to step it up here, or stop having others post links to rambling geek.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Where is he?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

He still needs to step it up here, or stop having others post links to rambling geek.

Well, some things can't be linked from here.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.

I love the freedom to be the ahole here, I don't care who likes or dislikes me here.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you expect something in return for our donation, then it is not truly a donation.

[/thread]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/thread]

If I donate something, it's from the heart and it makes ME feel good.  I don't ask for thanks in return.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/thread]

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't either 'in person'

A button to help a brother out is not in person, I am sure more cool posters here did get a thanks.

I am done helping geeks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I get the whole donating is reward in itself thing but false solicitation is bs.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going with in before the move.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#44]
My .$.02:

1. Just about every single blog/forum/website now has a donate button, this isn't anything shocking.

2. Paypal isn't always lightning fast, depending on when you donated, it might not show up for a while.  Makes it hard to say "Hey thanks dude!" if you don't even know someone has donated.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That get's a +1. This should get good if it gets moved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That get's a +1. This should get good if it gets moved.

I am not a good pit guy, keep this in GD.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Right there.
It is good manners to offer thanks when receiving a gift, however.

eta- okay read the rest now. I haven't clicked the button so I don't know...does sub see right away when someone donates? and who it is?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My .$.02:

1. Just about every single blog/forum/website now has a donate button, this isn't anything shocking.

2. Paypal isn't always lightning fast, depending on when you donated, it might not show up for a while.  Makes it hard to say "Hey thanks dude!" if you don't even know someone has donated.

I think the only thing I'd have a problem with is if this site was ever used by people to funnel  folks to contribute to them directly at an external web site outside the ARFCOM site.

Not saying this is occurring in this case, but I wouldn't support it if it where.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .$.02:

I think the only thing I'd have a problem with is if this site was ever used by people to funnel  folks to contribute to them directly at an external web site outside the ARFCOM site.

Not saying this is occurring in this case, but I wouldn't support it if it where.
That has happened.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not sure what you mean Sig_Fan - it would be okay if someone posted a direct link to a paypal donation account from here, but it's not okay if they post a link to another site that has the link?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top