Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2009 4:54:33 PM EDT
Fake Doc Performed 6 Surgeries, Police Say
Man Cut Skin, Prescribed Medication

BEND, Ore. –– A 22-year-old central Oregon man was arrested this week on charges he impersonated a doctor, to the point of performing minor surgery and administering drugs.

Officers said Scott Edward Hanson was jailed on 24 charges, including identity theft, sex abuse and recklessly endangering another person, Portland's KPTV reported.

Hanson performed at least six surgeries on people who believed they were seeing a real doctor, according to Redmond Police Detective Sgt. Cory Chase. Detectives said Hanson would perform the surgeries in people's homes and charge them much less money than a real doctor.

Hanson is also accused of writing prescriptions and overmedicating some of his patients.

Redmond police began investigating Hanson on Saturday. Investigators said he is not a licensed doctor and had no formal training. He was arrested Tuesday after police served a search warrant at his home.

Chase said officers removed medical equipment and other evidence from the home during the search warrant.

Police believe Hanson obtained most of the medical equipment from his mother, who works as a nurse.

"I know that his mom was a nurse, but I don't know how that came about," said neighbor Brent Schulke. "It was a little shocking."

Saying they couldn't be more specific, officers said the surgery wasn't invasive, but it involved cutting off skin.

WTF? How stupid can you be?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Fake Doc Performed 6 Surgeries, Police Say
Man Cut Skin, Prescribed Medication

BEND, Ore. –– A 22-year-old central Oregon man was arrested this week on charges he impersonated a doctor, to the point of performing minor surgery and administering drugs.

Officers said Scott Edward Hanson was jailed on 24 charges, including identity theft, sex abuse and recklessly endangering another person, Portland's KPTV reported.

Hanson performed at least six surgeries on people who believed they were seeing a real doctor, according to Redmond Police Detective Sgt. Cory Chase. Detectives said Hanson would perform the surgeries in people's homes and charge them much less money than a real doctor.

Hanson is also accused of writing prescriptions and overmedicating some of his patients.

Redmond police began investigating Hanson on Saturday. Investigators said he is not a licensed doctor and had no formal training. He was arrested Tuesday after police served a search warrant at his home.

Chase said officers removed medical equipment and other evidence from the home during the search warrant.

Police believe Hanson obtained most of the medical equipment from his mother, who works as a nurse.

"I know that his mom was a nurse, but I don't know how that came about," said neighbor Brent Schulke. "It was a little shocking."

Saying they couldn't be more specific, officers said the surgery wasn't invasive, but it involved cutting off skin.

WTF? How stupid can you be?

uhhh, what???

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
see what happens when you don't have socialized medicine
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

You get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!  Thank goodness that wasn't me
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The sex abuse thing is bad enough in its' own right.  This article seems to not mention whether or not anyone was harmed by the medical procedures.  

Just out of curiosity: is there any particular law against someone performing medical procedures on themselves ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]

I think he watched "Catch Me If You Can" a few too many times......
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think he watched "Catch Me If You Can" a few too many times......

I concur
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The sex abuse thing is bad enough in its' own right.  This article seems to not mention whether or not anyone was harmed by the medical procedures.  

Just out of curiosity: is there any particular law against someone performing medical procedures on themselves ?

I sure hope not.  I have lanced many a wound on my own self.  Nothing like self surgery.  Just the other day I had a cyst in my earlobe.  Sterilized a needle and shoved it in there.  Flushed the wound with alcohol and was good to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure hope not.  I have lanced many a wound on my own self.  Nothing like self surgery.  Just the other day I had a cyst in my earlobe.  Sterilized a needle and shoved it in there.  Flushed the wound with alcohol and was good to go.

Until it gets infected.  Then who are you going to sue?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ia mhoping to perform my own bypass surgery oneday!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I think its kind of funny that he was writing people prescriptions
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Sound like he may have been choppin up little boys wieners
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]
He's a Mohel?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember reading stories about a couple of people who had been eventually caught for practicing medicine without a license,

but they had been doing it for a LONG time and were apparently VERY good doctors,  even though they didn't have the sheepskins

you need to be a "real" doctor.

The way I see it, if someone's found to be unlicensed but is GOOD at it,  that person should be given the chance to take tests

and be evaluated by qualified doctor instructors,  and if he's found to be sufficently good at it, just give him the license to

practice, on a trial basis, and during that trial basis he has to work under the supervision of a "real" doctor who will be judging him.

I want a good doctor even if he's not actually licensed.   I'd take that over a licensed hack any day.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember reading stories about a couple of people who had been eventually caught for practicing medicine without a license,
but they had been doing it for a LONG time and were apparently VERY good doctors,  even though they didn't have the sheepskins
you need to be a "real" doctor.

The way I see it, if someone's found to be unlicensed but is GOOD at it,  that person should be given the chance to take tests
and be evaluated by qualified doctor instructors,  and if he's found to be sufficently good at it, just give him the license to
practice, on a trial basis, and during that trial basis he has to work under the supervision of a "real" doctor who will be judging him.

I want a good doctor even if he's not actually licensed.   I'd take that over a licensed hack any day.

CJ

The number of doctors who've lost their licenses for whatever reason (like due to frivolous malpractice suits) and other medical professionals who've had to leave the field for whatever reason is enough that I suspect it really opens the door to more unlicensed practicing...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top