Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 2:05:20 PM EDT
The night before? stretch? carbs?
how bout right before the test?

I know- all of you are 28" waist, exercize everyday, could pass this while sleeping, but for the rest of us.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
rest as best as you can
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Drink a lot of water
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Get wasted the night before. Have sex. Eat a heavy meal - and get into a pull/push-up contest.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing different. I LOL at the people who start to diet and work out 3 weeks before.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know- all of you are 28" waist, exercize everyday, could pass this while sleeping, but for the rest of us.....

When I was in 7th Fleet, the answer was usually...

"sit in a Japanese bar and drink chu-hai until 3am"

Man, a few of those PRTs were miserable
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Drink a lot of powerade or gatorade. Run a small warm up run to loosen up the day before. The morning of eat a small piece of fruit or something, don't eat a big breakfast if you're running it in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Urinate
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]
yep- morning....got the orange chiness chicken going for dinner ringt now...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing different. I LOL at the people who start to diet and work out 3 weeks before.

THREE WEEKS!!!
ut...oh.....

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Hydrate and get rest.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
A warm-up jog is a good idea.  Don't stretch cold muscles.  Get the blood going to the core without wearing yourself out and you'll be good to go.  I might as well suggest clearing your bowels too.  You don't want to have a accident while doing sit-ups do you?

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]
rest for 24-48 hours and drink lots of water
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was in 7th Fleet, the answer was usually...

"sit in a Japanese bar and drink chu-hai until 3am"

Man, a few of those PRTs were miserable

That sounds familiar for a lot of servicemen

but seriously ––- i would try to get some good, quality rest, but dont go to bed too much earlier than normal,  if you wake up too early, you might be fatigued later.    I would ensure i was hydrated, but would not sweat the carbs too much.    A  2 (or 3) mile run should not need a serious carb load session or anything like that.   Obviously stay away from any heavy "gut bomb" dinners and breakfastes
   Eat a couple of bananas if the back of your legs tend to cramp when you do situps, but other than that ––––   your previous training and conditioning should take care of you.   A short low intensity warm up jog will keep your body from turning on you during the first 5 minutes of the run, if you get a chance to take one,  because if its a group PT run,  everybody starts off at a 200 yard sprint before settling into a personal rhythm anyway

––––––-Here's hoping for  275+

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Holy hell what a bunch of girly men on here......

WTF Over?

If you are a Marine you need to be out boozing, fighting, smoking and banging the ladies......

Wake up after a couple hours of rest and you should be GTG......

That's how we did it and always scored in the 290-300 range....

Jesus...Drink Gatorade and eat carbs? WTF....

Must be a plethora of CB's on here.....

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I always found taking a hot shower before PT tests helped me warm up (normally I showered after PT).  Make sure you're well-hydrated, but otherwise, a .mil PT test isn't a marathon (although I did push extra hard on situps once and was curled up in a ball in the corner later in the day).
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude, are you even in the Army yet?

ETA: woops I f'ed the quote
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was in the Marines I did the same thing the night before PT tests I did most other nights.  Get shitfaced.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#18]
"your previous training and conditioning should take care of you."

...yea,  previous training....yeahh.......
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#19]
preparations should start the day before in the morning.  Get a good stretch for PT and maybe some very light pushup/ situp sets.  Eat a good breakfast and take it easy all day.  Eat a light but carb full dinner and drink water and get to bed a bit early.  Wake up about and hour before you normally do and eat a light light fruit breakfast with a small glass of water.  Before you start the PT test do a 1/4 mile run (1 lap around a normal track) nice and very slow to get the blood moving.  Stretch good and Hit the test.

Pushups should be done as hard and fast as you can while keeping your form.  

Situps should be done with a moderate cadence in your head and dont stop for anything.

Dont explode out of the hole for the run.  Start off with a quick pace and eventually set into your normal pace.  That should take less then a 1/4 mile.  

Dont give up on yourself or let your heart talk your body out of a good score.

mike

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I was in the Marines I did the same thing the night before PT tests I did most other nights.  Get shitfaced.  

See my above post; I knew it wasn't just us squids
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get wasted the night before. Have sex. Eat a heavy meal - and get into a pull/push-up contest.

This.

Anyone can PT when they're sober/not hungover
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks for all the help!....wonder if they make a backpack AED.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

So true...lets not talk about qual day on the range....250 with the shakes
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Drink a lot of water. Eat carbs and sleep. I eat a bagel with PB and a little jelly in the AM. ~2 hours before PT.

What does the PT test entail?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Drink your ass off, get a couple of hours of sleep, puke, take a huge beer dump (makes you feel like you're on top of the world!), and then go run. That's how we did it, at any rate.
Oh, yeah––and somewhere in there it's a good idea to brush your teeth.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

So true...lets not talk about qual day on the range....250 with the shakes

I think the worst one ever was sea & anchor detail when we were pulling out of a shithole port in India.

I successfully vomited over the rail while hidden behind the Harpoon missile launcher.  Man, those were the days!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Try a quart of strawberry flavored milk

Actually, a cup of strong coffee, 2 Sudafed tabs and a few powdered donuts.  Just a few.  I maxed running by 22 seconds.  Nothing really helps on the pushups or situps except muscle strength.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I like to do a couple of warm up PU and SU while I'm in line. I also like to be somewhere in the middle if possible. As far as the run Il'l try and do a slow jog around the area before the test strats. Not enough to get out of breath but enough to loosen things up.

Really it all comes down to what you have been doing for the 3 months prior.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Short of getting shit-faced, it probably doesn't matter so long as you've been staying in shape.  PRT isn't long enough to need carbo loading or any other preparation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I just drink water and stretch the day before.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#31]
10: Step program

1: Drink copious amount of alcohol

2: Wake up in strange womans bed (preferably not a fat chick)

3: Find pants and ID

4: Call cab

5: Try to appear sober during formation

6: Survive Pushups + Sit ups

7: Throw up mid run

8: Pass PT Test

9: go smoke and dip with the men.

10: Avoid crazy woman you slept with earlier that morning

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Take a huge dump.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#33]
This stuff actually helped me with my run.  I'd never taken it before that day and I felt like it gave me a little more energy and focus.

Now I use it all the time with strength training... good stuff
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I stretch, try to eat some chicken pasta, and get at least 8 hours of sleep.  Then I try and wake up 2 hours before so I can stretch and wake up before I have to take it.
PU-72
SU-91
Run 14:20  I need to work on my speed
ETA Lots of water and Gatorade 48hrs before. No beer or sodas.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Nothing can stop me from maxing, except stopping to use my sock.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#36]
go to mcdonalds and eat 6 double cheeseburgers
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Drink plenty of water, get a good nights sleep, eat a light breakfast, take a massive shit to lighten the load, off you go !
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Depends.  In the past, I didn't do anything different and I still scored at least 285 or above.

Now, at the the age of 42 I find myself needing to walk a mile or so to warm up before the run, otherwise I hurt like a motherfucker.  I don't drink heavily the night before, but drinking two or so beers can help, as the carbs are good for ya if you don't overdo it.

Really, the night before isn't the time to worry about it.  You should be running at least a half mile more than your PFT distance every other day, if not every day.  You have to "practice" for a PFT just like anything else.

As someone who's taken both the Army PFT and our own, I can say that the best way to run a USMC PFT is to start out slow at a steady pace, and work your way up to a faster pace as your joints and muscles warm up during the course of the three mile run.  You always see a bunch of Marines go balls to the wall as they start out, and then slow down as they wear their asses out during the initial part of the run-they're usually dying by the end of the run.  Avoid that mistake.

For the Army PFT, you don't have the luxury of starting out as slow, as the course is only two miles.  While I wouldn't go balls-out for the first half mile, you need to start out at a pretty good pace, and work your way up to a fast pace pretty quickly to get max points.  It's only two miles, but it's a pretty fast two miles if you're doing it right.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Used to eat spaghetti, hydrate and stretch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This stuff actually helped me with my run.  I'd never taken it before that day and I felt like it gave me a little more energy and focus.

http://no-xplode-reviews.com/images/no-xplode.jpg

Now I use it all the time with strength training... good stuff

+1, takes about 1 hour to kick in for me and it's like I hit a zone and can just keep going. Taste is OK, but I mix it with sugar free Hawaiian Punch and it tastes much better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top