Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/1/2009 1:46:07 PM EDT
Baby was the last thing my grandmother ever gave me before she died. She gave him to me as a wedding present 16 years ago. He was two at the time so he definitely lived a long, full life. He was supposedly part Feist, part Dachshund (anyone want to confirm or deny that for me? I'd like to get another one ... pics at the bottom). This little guy was quite possibly the sweetest, smartest, kindest dog I've ever owned.

I put him outside earlier today while I was mopping the floors. He had trouble seeing out of one eye and was deaf, but still tried to chase birds occasionally. About twenty minutes later I heard him making strange sounds. It was a cross between a bark and a cry. I went outside and found him lying in the rain. He had trouble getting to his feet so I wrapped him up in a towel and brought him in the house. I pressed a few places on his side and back legs and he cried pretty good so I took him to the vet right then (and here's where I tell you that the entire staff stayed late for us ... they were closing at four today). They did a quick exam and told me that he had internal injuries, likely from falling down the back deck stairs. I didn't hear him fall ... he had never fallen before, but that's all we could think of that may have happened. There was blood coming from his rectum. He was a house dog when he was not out in the fenced back yard and there's nothing out there that could have hurt him. They COULD have operated (and I was willing to pay for it), but the Vet didn't feel like Baby would have survived it. His age and general health put him at about 40% survival. The recovery would have been hard for the old man.

So, the decision was made. They sedated him first because he was so agitated and the poor guy basically passed out in my arms after that. I was able to stay with him and pet him up until he took his last breath. I worked with my dad as a teenager (he was a vet), but I had forgotten that the animals do 'death' shudders. The vet pronounced him dead and a moment later, Baby was spasming and jerking like he was trying to sit up.

I basically fell apart. I don't cry a lot ... but this dog was special to me.

RIP Baby 1991-2009

Anyone want to tell me what breeds he likely was? He weighed 10 pounds and was solid red until he turned gray.

Thanks for reading this. Hug your pets.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]

My sincere condolences.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
That truly sucks, sorry.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang, that sucks. My condolences, good on you for giving your dog a long happy life tho.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm very sorry, losing a dog is a horrible thing to go through.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Dust in my eye...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m sorry. (Not much else that can be said.)
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I am very sorry for your loss.  When this happens I like to think they are no longer in pain and are in perfect health and running and playing and doing what they loved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to here it Chelle.  A few months ago I had to put down one of our dogs, it hurt more than I ever thought it would.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
We are glad that you had those years with the dog.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate reading these threads more than any other, yet I can't ever not read them.  When people post pictures it makes it that much worse.  Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’m sorry. (Not much else that can be said.)

+1

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to hear this bad news Chelle.  My wife and I had to unexpectedly put our favorite kitty down (while overseas) last August, it was very difficult and I know much it hurts.  Our sincerest condolences.

RIP Baby.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had to put my lab of 13 years to sleep after a fall injury about a month ago so I know all too well how you feel.  They earn a special place in our hearts by their absolute loyalty and unwavering affection.  

E-95
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, everybody.

It really was heartbreaking. I was very, very glad that they sedated him first. He was in a lot of obvious pain and I couldn't stand it. Whatever they gave him ... he lifted his head back really far and stared at me ... then he just laid down in my lap and licked my hand a few times.

I do feel good knowing that he is no longer suffering, but damn ... I feel like *I* need to be put down it hurts so much. :(

The people at the vet's office actually cried with me. I guess it never gets any easier for anyone involved. I'll never understand why dogs live less than twenty years usually ... they really are man's best friend.

(and meanwhile, my husband's deranged, evil, hateful and vicious Cockatoo is thriving and will probably outlive all of us ... those things live sixty freakin' years)
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear that, man. I've had to do it many times and it never gets easier.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I am VERY sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Thoughts to you
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Condolences for your loss.

I definitely see a little of my wife's Dachshund in your dog's face.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]

So sorry.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Chelle,
Sorry for your loss Dogs and cats will always have a special place in our Hearts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for giving him such a good home and a good life.
Even though it is very tough right now, please consider getting a shelter dog.
So many need a good home.
My sympathy to you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Chelle, we are so sorry for you loss. Baby isn't in any pain any more. Our thoughts will be with you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I am so very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife and I lost our 16 year old Oreo, Christmas night, who was a cocker spaniel so I can feel your loss.

Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to hear about Baby.  We went through the same thing 2 weeks ago.  It hurts and is no fun at all.  You will miss the old hound I'm sure.  We sure miss ole Roscoe.  Be Well and Take Heart.  Find something to laugh about, hug each other and remember the good times.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry for your loss.

I'll second getting shelter dogs, when your ready there's lot's of love @ petfider.com
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Poor pup pup.

Heart breaking story

Cant think of when my dog has to go through the same.

Feel bad for you though.

Damn dogs are a pain in the ass all their life until you want to see tha pain in the ass again and cant.

Hope after awhile you can give another dog the same life as you have done with this puppy.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dust in my eye...

me too

Sorry for your loss

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry for your loss.

As far as breeds go, all I can tell you was that he was a Mutt of some sort.  With that pic of him looking down, I would almost say part poodle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry for your loss buddy. My dogs are like my kids, even the thought of that brings a tear to my eye.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#34]

so sorry, i fear the day for my boy too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#35]
There is no easy way to say goodbye to a good friend.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I feel your pain, brother
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I am sorry to hear about your loss.

...But you did your friend the best favor anyone could have ever done for him.  16 years is a very long life for a dog; a major surgery would have likely reduced his quality of life greatly(assuming he pulled through afterward).  He is in a better place now, and thanks to you, he is no longer suffering.

It may have been a hard decision, but you did the right thing.  The best of luck to you and your family; dealing with the loss of a member of the family is extremely difficult, but the wounds will eventually begin to heal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I know how tough it can be.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sorry for your loss.  Most people that don't have dogs or cat's don't understand how close and just what part of our family our furry friends are.  Baby will be waiting on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge for you.

Wish I could help you on the breed.  Don't know what to tell you there.

God Bless,

Mike
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I am so sorry for your loss, I can tell how much Baby meant to you.  Stay strong.

A tear just dropped for her.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Your soul will carry his spirit into eternity. God be with you my friend.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry to hear about your dog. I had to put one down in April 2006 that I'd had since we rescued him when I was probably 5 or 6. It was hard for sure.

Quoted:
My wife and I lost our 16 year old Oreo, Christmas night, who was a cocker spaniel so I can feel your loss.

Prayers sent.

Weird... the second to last dog I had to put down was also named Oreo..
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Pomeranimutt. Mutts are the best. Sorry to hear of the loss of your pooch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#44]
UGH....I hate these thread and I have one of those days approaching too fast
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#45]
What a sweet looking pup.  So very sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#46]
There isn't anything quite like a good dog.

My condolences.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I hate reading these threads.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I am really sorry...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Sorry

May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#50]
sorry to hear of your lost friend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top