Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2002 11:16:27 AM EDT
This is a story that bears witness 26 years prior to the '93' incident. I lived it, as did many others...many paralels to the '93' 'Blackhawk down'. Also hit table of contents(top of page) and check out 'Real Audio from our AO', 2nd story from bottom right  page' takes a while to load(Windows Media Player needed, but it gives me a BIG adrenaline dump...even now. Interested in feedback...Thanks,   Gib187th                                   [url]http://www.187thahc.net/Stories/aug_67_index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wow. Thanks for the link gib187th. What exactly was happening besides you guys kicking some VC ass? Was it a rescue mission or a hot LZ?
View Quote

WE were yold it was to be a 'training mission' and no fire in the LZ. We were lifting a company of 199th LIB. ECHO and Recon 4/12th Bn., and an element of the 5th ARVN Rangers...we got plenty of training  ;}>

Gib
PS: 'Chuck' cleaned our clock, not the other way around
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From the conversation between pilots..you ran out of ammo and your mini guns went down. Hard to win that way? Are you part of the conversation we heard? I can understand how it gets your adrenalin going to hear it. Thanks again for the link.
View Quote

The gun team is not ours but the 240th AHC out of Bear Cat in the Delta, the 'Mad Dogs', bad puppies...  Mini guns could cycle between 3000 and 6000 rounds per minute per gun at that time they tended to jam a lot. The team is 'Charlie' model hueys with a crew of 2 pilots and two gunners. The BUZZ is the mini's vomiting lead at 1200 rounds per sec. The chop chop is the M-60's working. Notice the quip about the Cobra that has arrived on station,he 'can't shoot worth a shit'.... LOL   Fairly typical day, sometimes they hunted you, and sometimes you  dealt the cards. Hope the movie gets 'Blackhawk Down' gets better reviews than this one did....Bwhaaaaaah!!

Gib187th
                    187th AHC
                  'The Blackhawks'
              "Real men don't talk about it"
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Where do you guys buy your pants to fit balls that big?

I'm too young to have been there, but old enough to hold your efforts in the highest regard.

My hats off to the men of the [img]www.187thahc.net/images/crusader_pin_small.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the link and thanks for being there and thanks for coming back in one piece.

I'm really glad you posted this.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out the [b] PROGRESS REPORTS FROM THAT SHITTY LITTLE COMMIE COUNTRY[/b] so damn funny, I'm still rolling on the floor trying to stop laughing!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Same Same from the 155th AHC.

Bac-Bac,Bac-Bac..Sat Cong Beau Coupe'
View Quote

Chou ong #21,
       'Falcon's/Stagecoach', you numba ten bad boys. Kill beaucoupe VC. 'De Frenchman' say hi to all from 155th,especially Mary and Earl B. from the PR of Mass...

'Rat Pack' Sat beaucoupe Cong,
                                 Gib ;{>

Thanks to all, for the visit to our humble web site, and kind comments, hope you enjoyed it!

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm truly humbled.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where do you guys buy your pants to fit balls that big?

I'm too young to have been there, but old enough to hold your efforts in the highest regard.

My hats off to the men of the [img]www.187thahc.net/images/crusader_pin_small.gif[/img]
View Quote

M4,
  Thanks for you kind words. A lotta guys were very superstitious about their balls. The pilots usually put a .45 or a .38 between their legs hoping that it would stop a round. The first thing a guy would ask when he was hit, was are my balls still there ? One pilot narrowly missed getting his bollocks blown off because he happened to be reading James Michner's book 'Hawaii'. He had it between his legs during an extraction, when he took a round. It hit the book but the book was so thick the round never fully penetrated it. The thankful pilot wrote the author in Hawaii relating how the book saved his love life, and Michner wrote back. Must have loved a glowing review....

Gib  ;{>
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:30:14 AM EDT
[#12]
gib,

Major flashbacks with the camp video. I haven't been that close to '67 since I left Da Nang.

Thanks, I think! [beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top