Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2009 10:52:08 AM EDT
Curious what Arfcommers think about this idea I shot over to her:

The GOP needs to stop this stupid tour they are doing right now (trotting out the same old leadership no one was excited about before, and aren't excited about now) and start getting out to the teaparties and LISTENING not speaking. Hell, if someone had simply shown up at the Tampa one wearing a GOP badge and carrying a clipboard asking people what their concerns were, it would have had a massive effect.

When people perceive you as listening to them, and being concerned with their issues, it goes a long way to gaining their support.

The GOP needs to quit talking at as and start listening to us. I think if they could shift that perception, it would go a long way towards winning back some of us they've lost. This would resonate well with the more libertarian amoung us, and I think some of the 'moderates' who jumped ship for Obama might even be persuaded.

Whats the Arfcom feeling here?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
They are too bust grandstanding on top of the tea parties to stop and listen to what's being said.  They sucked ass for 6 years and they think I'm just dying to get back to those days of yore.  Your mom is right.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They are too bust grandstanding on top of the tea parties to stop and listen to what's being said.  They sucked ass for 6 years and they think I'm just dying to get back to those days of yore.  Your mom is right.

She also owns an AR-15! I have the most tactical Mom of anyone I know!

I feel your point though. Basically they need to do a little navel gazing and ask themselves "Why did everyone walk away from us?" Sadly, they don't seem to understand its because they started acting just like the other guys.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1

They don't want to listen, they want to move to the left to increase their voter base.  "Just think of the votes we'll get when we can make everyone happy"
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Curious what Arfcommers think about this idea I shot over to her:

The GOP needs to stop this stupid tour they are doing right now (trotting out the same old leadership no one was excited about before, and aren't excited about now) and start getting out to the teaparties and LISTENING not speaking. Hell, if someone had simply shown up at the Tampa one wearing a GOP badge and carrying a clipboard asking people what their concerns were, it would have had a massive effect.

When people perceive you as listening to them, and being concerned with their issues, it goes a long way to gaining their support.

The GOP needs to quit talking at as and start listening to us. I think if they could shift that perception, it would go a long way towards winning back some of us they've lost. This would resonate well with the more libertarian amoung us, and I think some of the 'moderates' who jumped ship for Obama might even be persuaded.

Whats the Arfcom feeling here?

I'm feeling like the GOP is not interested in what anyone has to say to them, but rather would like to dictate what we should be thinking.

They want to mirror the Left's success mostly because they just want power.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I think she's on to something but I don't know about that solution.  Approximately 60ish percent of the nation self-identifies as very or moderately conservative.  Right now all those people out there are feeling leaderless.  Eight years of Bush spending like a drunken Democrat, expanding Medicare, amnesty, etc. etc. etc. and then the McCain candidacy has made the bulk of that conservative majority feel unrepresented.  I agree people in the GOP who don't get it holding a massive speaking party is a complete waste but rather than trying to poll their base to form a platform and develop positions or whatever, all people really need is a conservative leader who they can get behind and they can trust won't betray them.  The rest falls in to line from there.  The last two times its been tried (Reagan in 80 and Next in 94) it's worked with huge results.  It's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#6]
American Conservative party FTW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top