Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2009 12:59:26 AM EDT
I was just wondering which of these guns would u guys go for first if there was an intruder in ur house for self defence??? 1911 A1 .45,9mm,or .12 gauge??? I am a woman I would really appreciate ur input on this subject.I would like to know which one I should go for first if some one was trying or had gotten into my house.I was thinking that I should go for the shotgun w/00 buck or the .45.I would most likely be shooting through a door being as I would most likely be in my closet.I feel that if someone breaks into ur house then u should shoot to kill not shoot to injure.I feel that it would be my best option but being a paramedic I feel that I would be expected to help him if I were to shoot them.I want to do what would be best to protect myself & my daughter.Thanks for ur help on this subject.

Firemedic21
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep my AR-15 propped against my desk at all times (mostly for coddling while surfing ARFCOM), but I guess I could use it to shoot someone who's breaking in as well

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever is closest. Otherwise the BG would have extra time while I tried to figure out which one to plug him with.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatevers closest too, in my house a shotgun most likely.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Whatever is closest.

Chances are that would be a 1911

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably my AR15.  The shotgun would be a close second.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Ideally, you want to be using a long gun (rifle or shotgun).  Pistols are for when you can't get to a long gun.  You are supposed to "shoot to stop", not "shoot to wound" or "shoot to kill".  All that matters is that the attacker is stopped as quickly as possible.  I understand the desire to render aid to an incapacitated attacker, but it is a risky proposition.  

The most reliable way to stop an attacker is to put bullets capable of penetrating at least 12 inches in ballistic gelatin into the bad guy's vitals.  Only a shot that disrupts the CNS is capable of causing an immediate stop for physiological reasons.  Do not just fire one shot and then stop to assess the threat.  Keep shooting the threat until it is no longer a threat.  

Most of us here on ARFCOM prefer rifles and carbines over shotguns as they are more accurate, typically have a greater magazine capacity and normally have less recoil.  All of this means that you can put more shots on target faster with a rifle or carbine.  Only hits count, and you want to be capable of making lots of them.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I do keep a shotgun and a .45 handy at night but the one I would reach for first is the shotgun w/00 buckshot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:23:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever is closest.

Chances are that would be a 1911

Ding Ding, give that man a prize!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:24:43 AM EDT
[#9]
The one in which you are most confident using. For me it's my 1911 but I have many other choices.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 You are supposed to "shoot to stop", not "shoot to wound" or "shoot to kill".  All that matters is that the attacker is stopped as quickly as possible.  I understand the desire to render aid to an incapacitated attacker, but it is a risky proposition.  

Yea, not here in Colorado. Make My Day law is a nice thing. And fuck rendering aid to some asshole that broke in to my house to harm my family. Their going to their maker.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#11]
As mentioned it will be whats closest to my right hand at any given moment. Now if I have time to grab my first choice from yours mentioned it would be the shotgun, even if I had my sidearm with me I'd grab the shotgun. Now for your handgun choices let me say in my opinion you should carry whatever you shoot the best with naturaly wether its the 9mm or the .45cal. They both equal dead when used as intended. Remember follow up shots will most likely be necessary so you want something you can control and hit consistently with.

Like to also mention that no matter what your profession you are not obligated to help anyone who you may have to defend yourself against. I understand your moral issue regarding the matter so I won't try to argue the point to much.  Good day to ya
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#12]
identify your target before you fire
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife would go .357 magnum, either handgun or levergun, depending on closeness at the moment.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
My HK USP 45 is usually on my nightstand...........but really, whatever is closest. Theres guns all over the house when I'm home.

I think if I had time to choose , it'd be my AR 10" pistol . I keep the doubled up 30 rounders in her with the good TAP ammo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#15]
9mm handgun is closest. It's immediate response. I'd have to have a bit more warning to get the AR in the fight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:59:16 AM EDT
[#16]
None of the above,   AK47 would be the first grab, then maybe the ar15. but I would go with the close range .30 caliber with lots of projectiles coming out of the barrel!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#17]
1911 is within arms reach and I'll use it to get to the shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911's.  But a 1911 is a shooter's gun and I simply don't have (or won't make) the time to stay proficient with one.  So a G30 lives in my night stand and an eighteen inch 870 is four feet away just inside my closet door.

Jane
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#19]
The 1911A1 is loaded all the time (so is the shotgun).  The 1911A1 fits in one hand and can be operated one handed, the shotgun cannot.  The 1911A1 is handy and easy to move around with inside the house, the shotgun is not.  The 1911A1 can be reloaded much quicker.

If the issue is outside then I have a rifle with 30 shots in the magazine vs. only 8 in the shotgun or 9 in the 1911A1.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#20]
When the cops come and they take my weapon until everything is over with, they can take the $200 shotty. I'll hang on to my $3000 AR-15 and my carry gun until their need arises.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:36:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Need some more information.

Right now I'm leaning towards the shotgun, only because I'm more comfortable firing longarms than handguns.  If the shotgun ends up being a SXS, then I'll probably go with the 9mm.  But what if this 9mm is a revolver and is shooting 9mm ball ammo?  Then I'll go with the 1911.  What if this 1911 is a POS that's hardly suitable as a range toy?  Well I'll probably go back to the 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I would suggest a 20 gauge pump, if you are of smaller stature then a youth 870.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:59:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When the cops come and they take my weapon until everything is over with, they can take the $200 shotty. I'll hang on to my $3000 AR-15 and my carry gun until their need arises.

I'm thinking if the Cops take anything, they'll take everything.

Best of luck with that plan.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:04:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
.I would most likely be shooting through a door being as I would most likely be in my closet.

seriously, not one person has addressed this line yet?

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:07:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tis true...........Im thinking they arent too awfully particular when it comes to stopping at the weapon used in self defense........they'll take everything as possible evidence.

And in my case,and many others here ,  they'd better bring lots of help with good backs
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I've already chosen 9mm for myself, so 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

THIS........exactly what I was talking about with the shotty guys. My 1911 may rest on the nightstand in arms reach, but when the law comes to take my weapon of self defense they can hang onto a 350.00 shotgun. That way I don't lose my daily carry weapon or my AR.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:22:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Whatever makes the least mess so the fucker doesn't bleed out all over my carpet while I get the wood chipper fired up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:32:17 AM EDT
[#30]
If I have my druthers, I'll remove a suppressed Glock19 w/ rail light from the bedside drawer. The Glock is disposable and the ATF can always be my muscle to get the can back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.I would most likely be shooting through a door being as I would most likely be in my closet.

seriously, not one person has addressed this line yet?

That was my first thought.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:37:20 AM EDT
[#32]
The gauge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:39:24 AM EDT
[#33]
M79 loaded with WilliePete
So after the perp is dead we can make smores
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:50:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry a 1911 in a holster while I am in my house. I can draw and pump out 8 rounds of 45acp before I could get to any of my shotguns
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:51:58 AM EDT
[#35]
bullets from a pistol kill you just as dead as buckshot.

9mm allows for faster followup shots, which allows for faster engagement toward multiple threats

the same can be said for .45, but generally speaking, the lower the recoil, the faster you can be with getting that front sight back on target.

shotgun is good, but not great for cqc because you are limited with your hands, if you are SURE the person who broke into your house is across the room and promises to stay more than 3 feet away at all times, or not surprise you by waiting behind a corner...then yes i'd recommend shotgun.

pistol you can always carry tight against your chest and push outward for distance shots or...if they surprise you by being close, rack one off in their head while pushing off with the support hand. it also allows carry of a flashlight, manipulation of doors/locks/phone for 911, etc.

9mm will on average have around 15-17 rounds
.45 probably around 8-10
shotgun probably 5-6
(this translates into how many opportunities you have to present a "killshot" or stopping the threat)

you may perform one combat reload, but typical home defense doesn't lend itself to prolonged firefights. you're defending yourself against rape, not storming fallujah.  be safe, i hope some of my input was helpful.

also, in true arfcom fashion - get all 3
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:52:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tis true...........Im thinking they arent too awfully particular when it comes to stopping at the weapon used in self defense........they'll take everything as possible evidence.

And in my case,and many others here ,  they'd better bring lots of help with good backs

WAIT!!! Let me get this straight. Lets say you shoot a BG with a shotgun. Your other weapons are stored they will or may ask if you have other weapons than if you say yes, they will ask you to hand them over? I don't see the logic. Uh, we need all your weapons, and....... uh, this PS3, and that microwave, and........ trust us it is for evidence. Especially the gun in the other room locked in the cabinet. Yup, suspect to me.

What would your other weapons have to do with you stopping someone in your house with ONE weapon? Where would it stop? Your ammo, knives, nunchucks? Let me get this straight, there was an attempted robbery, murder, whatever in your house, you had to kill someone and now they want to leave you weaponless? I couldn't imagine this to be very healthy. Physologically speaking.   Flame away!!

ETA: I just finished a redbull with breakfast. Could be affecting my thought process.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#37]
kar98k, or an original mosin nagani 1891 with bayonet , that way you can 'net him from the couch once he starts coming up the driveway lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:01:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Glock fotay. I haven't gotten around to getting night sights on the 1911 yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAIT!!! Let me get this straight. Lets say you shoot a BG with a shotgun. Your other weapons are stored they will or may ask if you have other weapons than if you say yes, they will ask you to hand them over? I don't see the logic. Uh, we need all your weapons, and....... uh, this PS3, and that microwave, and........ trust us it is for evidence. Especially the gun in the other room locked in the cabinet. Yup, suspect to me.

What would your other weapons have to do with you stopping someone in your house with ONE weapon? Where would it stop? Your ammo, knives, nunchucks? Let me get this straight, there was an attempted robbery, murder, whatever in your house, you had to kill someone and now they want to leave you weaponless? I couldn't imagine this to be very healthy. Physologically speaking.   Flame away!!

ETA: I just finished a redbull with breakfast. Could be affecting my thought process.

I guess it depends what part of the country you live in and how corrupt the cops are.  I know one or two that will actually loan out one of their own firearms in certain circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Whatever makes the least mess so the fucker doesn't bleed out all over my carpet while I get the wood chipper fired up.

I think about the same thing. minus the woodchipper
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I think you guys that would use a rifle in the house must be A) Deaf already B) Live in a house by yourself so no one else is in danger when 5.56 comes zippiing through every room in the house; and C)  don't have any neighbors that would mind when 5.56 comes zipping through their house.

Don't give me the increased lethality argument - then why not use .50 BMG?  There has to be a trade-off with common sense - and safety.  I'm quite confident that I can make a bad guy stop without a rifle - I have a house full of family to think about.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:15:18 AM EDT
[#42]
IMHO, there is no right answer. Choose the gun that you are most confident in from a mechanical point of view and most proficient in handling and you have your weapon.

Any gun will do if YOU will do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I keep my AR-15 propped against my desk at all times (mostly for coddling while surfing ARFCOM), but I guess I could use it to shoot someone who's breaking in as well

My AR

Now for the editorial section of the thread.

In a perfect world, I would answer an intruder with AR#2.  That is the rifle I built for this situation.

I have a gun in almost every room, strategically placed to defend the manor.  Depending where I am in the house, I could answer an intruder with a XD45 Service, Mossberg 500 w/18" barrel or another 1911.  If I just walked in the door it could be a Bersa 380.  

This is not a perfect world.  The BG isn't going to announce his arrival and wait for you to arm yourself with your preferred HD weapon.  
Chances are you will be using whatever weapon is at hand whether it be an AR15, Bersa 380 backup, or the Midway USA catalog.
Training is the key to winning this fight.  Just be sure you can put up a good fight with whatever is at hand.  

And keep shooting until you are absolutely sure the SOB isn't going to get up anytime soon

Lecture over.  I return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I still haven't settled this debate with myself. I have been leaving my AR by the bed, as it has a weaponlight mounted. Neither My 870 nor any of my handguns have lights.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was just wondering which of these guns would u guys go for first if there was an intruder in ur house for self defence??? 1911 A1 .45,9mm,or .12 gauge??? I am a woman I would really appreciate ur input on this subject.I would like to know which one I should go for first if some one was trying or had gotten into my house.I was thinking that I should go for the shotgun w/00 buck or the .45.I would most likely be shooting through a door being as I would most likely be in my closet.I feel that if someone breaks into ur house then u should shoot to kill not shoot to injure.I feel that it would be my best option but being a paramedic I feel that I would be expected to help him if I were to shoot them.I want to do what would be best to protect myself & my daughter.Thanks for ur help on this subject.

Firemedic21

I would go for my Glock 19.

ETA: I don't own a shotgun anymore... Yeah I know I FAIL!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:50:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Shotgun for the WIN!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Since I do not have an appropriate 12 gauge and do have a .45 that I carry daily - the choice is kind of already made for me.  That said - depending on the layout of the house - would probably choose the 12 if I had one handy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:29:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Whatever you feel most confident with. Out of the three given, I'd feel most comfortable shooting the 1911.  Ideally I'd like to use my AR though, please.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#50]
POLL FAILURE

where's the carbine option?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top