Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 7:55:16 PM EDT
or whatever they want to call it now.  My 12 year old son just called me (I'm divorced, he's home with mom) and they just rec'd an automated phone call from the Middle School principal.  A student there has a 95% diagnosis of "Swine Flu".  My son is worried and I don't know exactly how to handle this.  I also have twin daughters in 4th grade, so to say this is a little disturbing is an understatement.  I'm not a huge kool-aid drinker but this is now hitting damn close to home.   Guess we'll ride it out and see what happens.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I will pray for your family, I understand you're worried, but atleast they caught the kid who may have it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
you and yours are in my thoughts
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
getting too close.  good luck on that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  They are getting the vaccine in the area as we speak, so at least that is available.  Would much rather it be me that was exposed to this than the kids.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks guys.  They are getting the vaccine in the area as we speak, so at least that is available.  Would much rather it be me that was exposed to this than the kids.

There is no vaccine for this.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Back in 75/76 when the swine flu hit, they marketed a "vaccine" that ended up worse than the illness. It killed some and paralyzed others. Best to take precautions and just wait and see if he gets it and then treat it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If it gives you any better grasp on the picture, here's what my fiancee's dad (the lead hematopathologist at KU Med) told me about the H1N1 virus:

He said it's a very mild form of the flu - even milder than the normal human flu.  It's not as deadly as the MSM makes it out to be.  Yearly, about 36,000 people die from the flu here.  The only people dying live in third world countries without access to good healthcare.

You'll be fine
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, whatever the meds are for it.  Reading up on it now on the CDC website.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A vaccine for swine flu is currently in the pipeline. My understanding - and I'm not a doc or biochemist - is that it's relatively easy to make a vaccine against one strain of flu, but not against all flu.

Don't panic. As you are in a developed country, your son, even if he catches it, has a very good chance of living.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What part of the state?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it gives you any better grasp on the picture, here's what my fiancee's dad (the lead hematopathologist at KU Med) told me about the H1N1 virus:

He said it's a very mild form of the flu - even milder than the normal human flu.  It's not as deadly as the MSM makes it out to be.  Yearly, about 36,000 people die from the flu here.  The only people dying live in third world countries without access to good healthcare.

You'll be fine

You know, I haven't been worried about this at all.  It's just been "white noise" on the news for the last week to me.  But now, I need to obviously kick up the awareness a little.  Thanks for the info.  That does help out.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What part of the state?

Northeast Ne.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be fine

You know, I haven't been worried about this at all.  It's just been "white noise" on the news for the last week to me.  But now, I need to obviously kick up the awareness a little.  Thanks for the info.  That does help out.  

I hear ya.  I've been following it just because it interests me.  He was telling me all about it earlier tonight.  Very interesting stuff.  If you have any more questions let me know and I'll ask him.  There's also quite a few docs here on arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in 75/76 when the swine flu hit, they marketed a "vaccine" that ended up worse than the illness. It killed some and paralyzed others. Best to take precautions and just wait and see if he gets it and then treat it.

The national influenza immunization program was an utter failure.

The government was sued by people that developed Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

The program was a response to the Legionnaires Disease outbreak.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#15]
crap!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
or whatever they want to call it now.  My 12 year old son just called me (I'm divorced, he's home with mom) and they just rec'd an automated phone call from the Middle School principal.  A student there has a 95% diagnosis of "Swine Flu".  My son is worried and I don't know exactly how to handle this.  I also have twin daughters in 4th grade, so to say this is a little disturbing is an understatement.  I'm not a huge kool-aid drinker but this is now hitting damn close to home.   Guess we'll ride it out and see what happens.

Can you give us a town?  We are just over the border here in WY.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is no vaccine for this flu.  The flu is made of up 3 parts.  Avian, Swine, and human.  Only the swine portion was part of last years vaccination cocktail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tamiflu and Relenza (SP?)

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#19]
from what i've read most probably infected and confirmed have been treated with tamiflu
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be fine

I hear ya.  I've been following it just because it interests me.  He was telling me all about it earlier tonight.  Very interesting stuff.  If you have any more questions let me know and I'll ask him.  There's also quite a few docs here on arfcom.

That is exactly why I started this thread.  For all the stupid shit and b.s. that goes on here there are also very knowledgable people and I appreciate that.  I do, however, tend to enjoy the stupid shit on here, also.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you give us a town?  We are just over the border here in WY.

I'm hesitant to give out the town for now, probably no big deal but just keeping it on the low down.  I will say that Wyoming is one hell of a drive from here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top