Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 8:18:29 AM EDT

B'KLYN BEEP DUMPS PIC OF ‘OLD WHITE MAN' GEORGE

By IKIMULISA SOCKWELL-MASON and DAVID SEIFMAN
January 16, 2002 -- The new Brooklyn borough president said "diversity" is making him take down a portrait of "old white man" George Washington that's hung in the office for years.
Brooklyn Beep Marty Markowitz said he will probably hang a portrait of a black or a woman in his office in place of the country's first president, while moving the Father of Our Country elsewhere in Borough Hall.

"I respect history . . . but there has to be a recognition that this is 2002," Markowitz said. "There's not one picture of a person of color, not one kid, not one Latin. Borough Hall should reflect the richness of our diversity."

He added, "I wasn't trying to say there's anything bad about all white men. I'm 56. I guess you'd call me an old white man."

But not everyone is cheering Markowitz's picture-shuffling plans.

"It's absurd," said Republican City Councilman Martin Golden.

"Anybody who would want to take down George Washington after Sept. 11 . . . It's a shame."

Markowitz - a former state senator known for giving out green bagels on St. Patrick's Day - said he wants suggestions from the Brooklyn Museum and the local historical society for whose portrait he should hang in his office.

"How about Thurgood Marshall or Dr. [Martin Luther] King. How about an outstanding woman?" Markowitz asked.

"I'm not going to do this alone."

Markowitz's new deputy borough president, Yvonne Graham, the first Caribbean woman to hold the title, also is eager to redecorate her office.

"I would like to see maybe a portrait of Harriet Tubman or Sojourner Truth," she said.

Throughout Brooklyn Borough Hall, there are portraits of white-haired, white men in colonial-style clothes. A few include plaques with a name, but most have no identifications at all.

"We don't have a clue who these folks are," Markowitz said, leading a Post reporter on a tour of the building.

"I'm sure they made great contributions and I will find a place for all of these wonderful portraits. They'll be preserved.

"The majority people of Brooklyn are people of color. This building will reflect white folks, black folks, Latin folks and Asian folks, kids and women."

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#2]
bitch-fest already happening.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=86738[/url]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone who takes down a picture of George Washington is just a communist bastard.

No Doubt.  Deport him right now.  I don't care where he goes, just out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
You think this is bad, wait a decade or two.  

I don't recognize this country anymore. I think America is a lost cause.  My loyality to the Constitution of the United Staes of America is as strong as ever, but this country is unravelling.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
This diversity thing is a crock of BS and the insanity of it, is destroying our nation. Look at what they are now trying to do about that statue in NYC with the 3 Firemen rasing the flag at the WTC all in the name of political correctness. There were 3 white firemen that raised the flag in that famous picture, but on the new politically correct statue, theres a white, a black and a hispanic all in the name of diversity. BS!!!

7th
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Two examples of divine intervention in American history:
1) George W. Bush winning the election to be our President during and after 9/11 (Gore = abominable).
2) The fog that allowed George Washington and our founders to escape Brooklyn Ferry on August 29, 1776.
*Don't worry, I'm young enough to laugh when the ketchup bottle makes a farting sound, but I still appreciate my history.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This diversity thing is a crock of BS and the insanity of it, is destroying our nation. Look at what they are now trying to do about that statue in NYC with the 3 Firemen rasing the flag at the WTC all in the name of political correctness. There were 3 white firemen that raised the flag in that famous picture, but on the new politically correct statue, theres a white, a black and a hispanic all in the name of diversity. BS!!!

7th
View Quote

Let's not open that can of worms again, or we're going to have to send out for some soapboxes! Nice to see that that decision is drawing a lot of fire, but will they have to go back and redo the statue? When will we see the Marine Corps Memorial redone to reflect the diversity of those who died on Iwo Jima? Doooh!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top