Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2009 2:13:34 PM EDT
So, I have a co-worker (and yes, it really is a co-worker...it isn't me) who is on Facebook ALL the time.  We can tell because in any given workday, she posts between 12-20 various articles, videos, ect.  And since we're assuming she actually searches for and reads all these articles and videos, it all adds up to the fact that she must be spending at LEAST 5 or so of her 8 work hours on Facebook.

Complicating matters is the fact that this co-worker is fairly senior.  So it's not like simply marching into her office and telling her to knock it off is a viable option.

But I feel like I should say something, because other co-workers in the office are starting to "chatter" about the amount of time she is obviously spending on Facebook.  Short of just telling her that she has become the source of office gossip and might want to re-think her relationship with Facebook during office hours, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can confront her about it, without actually being confrontational?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
How can someone get addicted to a website?

Oh, wait....
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Put up an informal question poll on your Status on your Facebook account asking everyone how much time they think she spends on Fb at work. Willing to bet she drops the Fb habit at work pretty quick once she sees it (As long as she's listed as a friend of yours).
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Have the IT guy block facebook.com in the firewall.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait for someone to leave their computer unlocked when they leave their desk.  Send an email from their account telling her about the gossip.  Sit back and watch hilarity ensure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Put up an informal question poll on your Status on your Facebook account asking everyone how much time they think she spends on Fb at work. Willing to bet she drops the Fb habit at work pretty quick once she sees it (As long as she's listed as a friend of yours).

I actually like that idea...except that I don't wanna embarrass her.  She's on my "team" at work (about 8 of us), and I don't want to create a situation where calling her out in that regard makes it unpleasant to work with her for the next umpteen years.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would, except my company has 35,000 employees...so we don't have one "IT guy". (We have a small army of 'em)

And I should add, my company has a pretty loose Internet use policy, because many of us use the Internet legitimately for work purposes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wait for someone to leave their computer unlocked when they leave their desk.  Send an email from their account telling her about the gossip.  Sit back and watch hilarity ensure.

You're evil.  I love it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Your kidding right ? well then MYOFB !
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would, except my company has 35,000 employees...so we don't have one "IT guy". (We have a small army of 'em)

And I should add, my company has a pretty loose Internet use policy, because many of us use the Internet legitimately for work purposes.

Like surfing ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Your kidding right ? well then MYOFB !

Your kidding right ? well then MYOFB ![/quote]

But that's just it...when my own Facebook page pops up, and all I see are posts from this co-worker, she has sorta made it "my business".  Likewise, when I have to listen to office gossip all day (which I hate) because of her activity, again...it sorta becomes "my business".  

And most of all, because I am a shareholder in this company, an employee wasting that much time is definitely "my business".
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have any sort of access to her computer while she is gone, jump on it, find the hosts file, and add facebook.com 127.0.0.1 to it.  Google "hosts file" for more specific info.  It's easy.

You will essentially block facebook from her computer, and her computer only.  Can't be traced to you.

Other than that, I would say MYOB.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like surfing ARFCOM!

I'm not at work today.  And besides, why aren't you following your own advice and MYOFB?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Make a ytmnd.com picture telling her to stop using FB and make it her homepage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Facebook is teh ghey.  Massive fail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Some of my coworkers think I'm an ebay addict. I've had my ebay account for 8 years. I have 136 [positive] feedbacks. I don't bother to correct their errant thinking. No point in clueing them in to my Arfcom addiction...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, it sounds like sooner or later the gossip will catch up to her.  Sounds like her problem.

Maybe if you in a group together just BSing, maybe mention about how you spend way too much time on facebook, (outside of work of course) and need to kick it down.
Just lie if you actually don't spend that much time at all, maybe she'll get the hint.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you have any sort of access to her computer while she is gone, jump on it, find the hosts file, and add facebook.com 127.0.0.1 to it.  Google "hosts file" for more specific info.  It's easy.

You will essentially block facebook from her computer, and her computer only.  Can't be traced to you.

Cool.  Does that work on a MAC, too?  (I'm assuming it does.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, I have a co-worker (and yes, it really is a co-worker...it isn't me) who is on Facebook ALL the time.  We can tell because in any given workday, she posts between 12-20 various articles, videos, ect.  And since we're assuming she actually searches for and reads all these articles and videos, it all adds up to the fact that she must be spending at LEAST 5 or so of her 8 work hours on Facebook.

Complicating matters is the fact that this co-worker is fairly senior.  So it's not like simply marching into her office and telling her to knock it off is a viable option.

But I feel like I should say something, because other co-workers in the office are starting to "chatter" about the amount of time she is obviously spending on Facebook.  Short of just telling her that she has become the source of office gossip and might want to re-think her relationship with Facebook during office hours, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can confront her about it, without actually being confrontational?

Leave an anonymous note (have someone from the outside write it so she doesn't recognize your writing) on her desk saying you're going to turn her in at the end of the week if she doesn't stop. Let her fix her own problem, unless she can't. Or just get IT to block Facebook. (Why isn't it already blocked?)
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Macs and Linux distributions have a hosts file in the etc directory. Edit that instead.

http://www.dreamlight.com/insights/bugs/Apple/lookupd.html#adsonar
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like what was said above, you can accomplish the same thing, but it's a different file you'd have to edit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Macs and Linux distributions have a resolv.conf file in the etc directory. Edit that instead.

Why would you want resolv.conf.  That controls the nameservers.  /etc/hosts would be the equivalent file.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Macs and Linux distributions have a resolv.conf file in the etc directory. Edit that instead.

Why would you want resolv.conf.  That controls the nameservers.  /etc/hosts would be the equivalent file.

My linux stuff is normally dealing with web server applications and got the two mixed up, I corrected my post prior to your reply though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My linux stuff is normally dealing with web server applications and got the two mixed up, I corrected my post prior to your reply though.

Psha.  6 seconds.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it's terrible she doe's this. Granted, I myself spend a mojority of my work evening on ARFCOM, but that's differen't.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Facebook and Myspace is banned on my companies internet.

Which is good cause if it wasn't i would be fired by now.

that thing is addicting.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to like Fook until the election, since then it's just a breeding ground for Libtards. Too many scammers on MySpace now, so ARFCOM is da shizzle for me !!  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you seriously coming here asking for advice on how to deal with a woman?

Quite frankly I'm appalled that no one has even suggested SIIHPAP yet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember when facebook was just for us college kids.... Now its full of 40 something moms and child molestors.

Sad...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#29]
If she gets her job done, who gives a shit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#30]

ARFCOM has so many unix geeks hiding in the nooks and crannies, it's great :)

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

/thread/

Takes like 2 minutes on a BlueCoat proxy.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If she gets her job done, who gives a shit.

This.

If it's a detriment to her performance as an employee, or is causing problems in the office talk to one of your IT guys and have it blocked.

For large corporations, if you explain it to them as a money loss issue or a security issue, in my experience they are usually pretty good about doing it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
She's on my "team" at work (about 8 of us), .

This is the problem. In the old days people that worked were called Employees and they had Bosses. It was the Boss's job to tell Employees to quit fucking off and get their asses back to work.

I think this concept got lost when Employees became Associates, Personnel  became Human Resources  and Quality Control became Quality Assurance.

That was my "Old Fart" rant for the day. Thank you.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you have any sort of access to her computer while she is gone, jump on it, find the hosts file, and add facebook.com 127.0.0.1 67.207.128.44 to it.  Google "hosts file" for more specific info.  It's easy.

fixed
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are you seriously coming here asking for advice on how to deal with a woman?

Quite frankly I'm appalled that no one has even suggested SIIHPAP yet.

If you saw this woman, NO ONE would be suggesting SIIHPAPP.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I have the same problem with arfcom. But I can't use it at work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]
My buddy calls it CRACKBOOK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top