Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2009 12:45:07 PM EDT
what's the best way to dry out a camelbak bladder and tube?

I have always used the "platypus" system and never had any problems proping them open and drying everything out, but the rubbery bladders and neoprene covered tubes of the camelbak system is really pissing me off.

I am tempted to rig up a blower to the thing to inflate it and force air into the system to dry it out.  Here in Hawaii, mold grows on glass, so ANY moisture in an enclosed space is bad news.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a plastic coat hanger and break the hook off of it and just put it in the bladder so that it stays out to air it out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
jet engine with afterburner
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to tuck the hose inside to keep it open, but now I use the camelback drier tree, it is like a collapsible plastic coat hanger thing. I've had it for years, and it works good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine's just sitting on my counter.  I just disconnect everything and push the sides in so air can circulate.  Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to tuck the hose inside to keep it open, but now I use the camelback drier tree, it is like a collapsible plastic coat hanger thing. I've had it for years, and it works good.

Yup. A good bleach washing and prop it open with this. Don't forget to wash and remove the hose.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Rinse it out real good, and throw it in the freezer.

No mold.  When using again, just add water, and flush out the tube.

It's what I do, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If you keep water in it, and zipped up in the pack, it will never need to be washed/cleaned/dried.  I have been drinking out of the same ones for almost 5 years now.  Nothing grows in the dark.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#9]
i put 2 waded up paper towels in it to hold it open. take the end off the tube.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you keep water in it, and zipped up in the pack, it will never need to be washed/cleaned/dried.  I have been drinking out of the same ones for almost 5 years now.  Nothing grows in the dark.

Dibs on ammo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i put 2 waded up paper towels in it to hold it open. take the end off the tube.

same
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except anaerobic bacteria like clostridum botulinum, the cause of botulism..

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This

Now THAT is cool!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use a plastic coat hanger and break the hook off of it and just put it in the bladder so that it stays out to air it out.

+1

ETA: You can also use a wire hanger.  Leave the hook on, bend the ends of a wire hanger together, shove down the opening and hang the whole thing up for the night.  Works very well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This

That thing is beautiful, but at nearly $40 I think I can rig something up with a my vornado fan, cardboard and duct tape.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's what I do, anyway.

freezing is an option I never considered.  That is a great idea if I plan on using my system within a week between uses.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's what I do, anyway.

freezing is an option I never considered.  That is a great idea if I plan on using my system within a week between uses.

I use a camelback daily and freeze it most nights...

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a hairdryer on cool and leave the bladder open after.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#20]
California high desert was 8% relative humidity today. Things dry out fast here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you keep water in it, and zipped up in the pack, it will never need to be washed/cleaned/dried. I have been drinking out of the same ones for almost 5 years now. Nothing grows in the dark.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Use areservoir dryer thingy.

Or you can just improvise something with a bent hagar or some stiff wire; slide it into the opening to keep the bladder propped open. Pull off the bite valve to get airflow through the tube.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If you keep water in it, and zipped up in the pack, it will never need to be washed/cleaned/dried. I have been drinking out of the same ones for almost 5 years now. Nothing grows in the dark.

this plus
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I freeze mine and bleach then rinse it occasionally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top