Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 9:45:38 AM EDT
WASHINGTON D.C. - Utah's 3rd Congressional District Rep. Jason Chaffetz is upset because he thinks the government found a back-door method of gun control.

He contends instead of restricting guns, the federal government targeted bullets.

Usually the Department of Defense sells more than 100 million used shell casings a year to companies that reload them and sell them to the public. But in March, the D.O.D. announced it was going to destroy the casings.

Chaffetz says that move would take millions of bullets off the market.

"That, to me, is a back-door way of gun control. They were trying to drive up the price of ammunition thinking there would be less ammunition sold," he said.

Four days later, a press release basically offered a retraction. It said, "Upon review, the Defense Logistics Agency has determined the cartridge cases could be appropriately placed in a category of government property allowing for their release for sale."

According to the Daily Herald, munitions makers say it was the Obama administration bowing to the public outcry.

Chaffetz now is introducing legislation to keep the casings coming. The Herald reports the measure would say: "The Secretary of Defense may not implement any policy that would prevent or place undue restriction on the continued sale of intact spent military brass ammunition casings to domestic manufacturers of small arms ammunition."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6322396
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, that is good an all, but he's at least one step behind.  Now there is a treaty being proposed that would make reloading ammo and working on firearms illegal for anyone without a manufacturer's permit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
yay, I think?

More LC 7.62N brass?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like it's just legislation to stop them from trying to do it again in the future, if I read that correctly.

Cool deal. I'll contact my district rep. and tell him to get on board.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the DOD rescinded that order.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought the DOD rescinded that order.

They did.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Well that beats them going to China and being used to kill us later.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
How old is this story?

And yes, they rescinded the law.

And how many threads did it spawn when the news, both before and after, were made
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
story about the shell casings is old, but not the part where he is trying to stop them from doing it again...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top