Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 9:34:05 PM EDT
I'm getting two consecutively numbered lowers and intend on building identical or near identical rifles on them. One for me, and one for my boy that's due at the end of July. Obviously, I have plenty of time to build them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Build a couple KISS rifles and then in a few years you will be able to see the evolution of the rifles as you each add different accessories and what not to them that fit each of your individual preferences.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Build a couple KISS rifles and then in a few years you will be able to see the evolution of the rifles as you each add different accessories and what not to them that fit each of your individual preferences.

Agree.  KISS M4s.  You can sit down with your child and discuss the pros/cons of anything and everything you add.  If I ever decide to bring children into this world I fully intend to do the same with my offspring.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That's an awesome idea. I'll have to remember that when I have a kid. I agree with a KISS design and build on it when he gets old enough. It will be good project for you both to do together while keeping the rifles built to suit each of you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Me and my dad both got matching Sabre defnese SBR's, his is 11.5 and mine is 10.5
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You know...I hadn't even thought about this. How simple? I don't want to go with an A2 upper and fixed stock because that limits things too much IMO, at least without doing a tear down and replacing the upper.

ETA––-Stock length will be an issue for a kid, obviously.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
So I assume you're going to keep yours unfired until your kid is old enough to shoot it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I assume you're going to keep yours unfired until your kid is old enough to shoot it?

I have a 6.8, and the wife has a 5.56. I also have plenty of 30 cal rifles to keep me entertained.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
.22 upper for the lower, and a kiss/detachable carry handle set up for later on. The .22 will be awesome to start on, and fun for you as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:00:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I built both of my sons KISS carbines using the following parts.

A1 upper
Chrome lined 1/7 carbine barrel
Cav Arms M4 furniture set
Standard Trigger  

And of course I built myself one to match.  My sons are both 3 years old so it will be a while before they can enjoy them but still, they have them waiting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:50:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I have done the same thing for me and my two sons. I have a Double Star DS-4 that is my normal shooter but I couldn't resist putting a few rounds through my father/son gun to see how it ran.

I haven't built their rifles yet and can't decide if I should build them now and test them out for function 5rds only or wait and Dad/Son build them together - but if I go that route it will be at least 18-20 yrs from now, so if there is a prob then and a AWB is in place we're screwed.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
.22 upper for the lower, and a kiss/detachable carry handle set up for later on. The .22 will be awesome to start on, and fun for you as well.

on one or both of them?

Spikes will never get a dime from me. Who else makes a dedicated upper? I know M1S makes them...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have done the same thing for me and my two sons. I have a Double Star DS-4 that is my normal shooter but I couldn't resist putting a few rounds through my father/son gun to see how it ran.

I haven't built their rifles yet and can't decide if I should build them now and test them out for function 5rds only or wait and Dad/Son build them together - but if I go that route it will be at least 18-20 yrs from now, so if there is a prob then and a AWB is in place we're screwed.

Yeah, that's why I want to go ahead and start putting them together.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, anybody?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]
What I would suggest is build a simple flat top M4.  Throw a carry handle on it.

Then get a .22 kit.  You can teach the kid to shoot with irons, and let him shoot it a good bit with .22.

Not to mention, you can also plink with that kit.

As the kid gets older, then you can decide with him on rail systems, optics, etc.

Who knows, he might not be interested in an old obsolete rifle, he might want an ACR, to be released in just a couple more weeks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#16]
What about going with dedicated .22 uppers and matching uppers in ______?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What I would suggest is build a simple flat top M4.  Throw a carry handle on it.

Then get a .22 kit.  You can teach the kid to shoot with irons, and let him shoot it a good bit with .22.

As the kid gets older, then you can decide with him on rail systems, optics, etc.

Who knows, he might not be interested in an old obsolete rifle, he might want an ACR, to be released in just a couple more weeks.
+1

You can keep the conversion kit warm while 5.56 is dry too.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]
bleh

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You can keep the conversion kit warm while 5.56 is dry too.

Do the kits function better than dedicated uppers or is it just a cost thing?

ETA–– I don't even have a 5.56 AR so I don't know. I built one for my wife, but it ain't mine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got two kids, so I'm doing it a little differently.
I got two Noveske lowers with consecutive SNs.  I am going to have them engraved with their intials and DOBs.  As far as how to build them up, I'm letting them choose how.  My son wants a basic M4 build.  My daughter wants an M4 with pink, purple, and yellow furniture.  I've got a pink GS-2P from Gear Sector.
Basically we will add what they want on them, as I want them to be personalized to where they want to go with them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've got two kids, so I'm doing it a little differently.
I got two Noveske lowers with consecutive SNs.  I am going to have them engraved with their intials and DOBs.  As far as how to build them up, I'm letting them choose how.  My son wants a basic M4 build.  My daughter wants an M4 with pink, purple, and yellow furniture.  I've got a pink GS-2P from Gear Sector.
Basically we will add what they want on them, as I want them to be personalized to where they want to go with them.

I'd go that route if my boy was already here and old enough, but that isn't the case. Both of the lowers will be engraved with my trust info, in case they get the SBR treatment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top