Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 8:32:23 PM EDT
Is it on anywhere, it was one of the funniest shows ever on t.v. I've been wanting to watch it with my son for a long time now, but I can never find it. Andy Griffith is getting tiring even though it was a great show. I love the Hillbillys, but they've been over played lately too. Is it available on d.v.d,? I know this is a stupid question, but just wanted to know.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep it's on DVD.  Ahhhh...Luanne Poovey.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Shazzam ! FOol me once , shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Ran across this link by accident. http://www.retroweb.com/

Click '40 acres' to see the sets used for Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle USMC, and Hogan's Heroes (to name a few).
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It got cancelled before "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" became official  policy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
He's a Sergeant now, and ooooh trust me, he's over here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Wikipedia - Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

Despite the positive reception, CBS canceled the show (and other rural-themed programs) because of a perception that such programs did not appeal to their target demographic, high-income urban audiences.[4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
That show series is from the 1960's, it's ancient history.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#8]

TV Land....channel of the oldies, check it out, maybe there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
didn't expect it to be on network t.v. I have t.v. land, but it isn't on there, hasn't been as far as I know for years. I was hoping some channel that showed a lot of old shows might have it on. Even local t.v. stations have a lot of those old shows, Andy Griffith has been on around these parts on one affiliate station or another since it was originally aired. It atill comes on a Charlotte N.C. station every day. I just haven't seen that show or Gilligan's Island in about 10 years or more.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]

We had a DI nickname a recruit, Gomer Pyle, in boot camp.  That is until the PMI call him Rain Man... then from that point on, everyone called him Rain Man.  

He was really slow in the head and about as dumb as rocks... but he did shoot expert on the range.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Recruiters did the same thing in my ex-wife's unit. The guy was a dweeb but he was supposed to be on anti-psychotic pills of some sort. They lied and he wasn't able to get his meds in basic, and after about four weeks he finally broke and tried to kill one of the platoon sergeants. That was a real danger to everyone, and the recruiter in that case was charged as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Ask a question on classic TV and end up with stories of retarded/brokenhearted Simple Jack's, and psychotic, NCO attacking Pvt Pyles in the real world.

Ain't GD great?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We had a DI nickname a recruit, Gomer Pyle, in boot camp.  That is until the PMI call him Rain Man... then from that point on, everyone called him Rain Man.  

He was really slow in the head and about as dumb as rocks... but he did shoot expert on the range.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn......a double tap!

Oh well........so it's not a wasted post, I'll post another pic of our favorate "misunderstood" Private Pyle

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:02:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Teh Aidz.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Gomer Pyle was sent to Vietnam and has been listed MIA ever since.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#19]
any truth to the rumor that Sgt Carter finally straightened him out and as such, because the name 'pyle' had been so tainted, he had it changed...

...he is now better known as 'Gunny Ermey'

now you know the rest of the story.

good day!

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know I watched it quite a bit back in Chicago, but haven't seen it in a few years.

Our platoon rock was Recruit Lester Haddix from Murfreesboro, TN.  He was literally mildly retarded.  His recruiters apparently perpetrated a fraud and had someone else take his ASVAB.  As I was the Prac Private (the guy who teaches all the other recruits their General Orders, etc.), Senior Drill Instructor Sgt. Garcia had him bunk with me.  Oh, joy.  It was literally worse than Private Pyle in Full Metal Jacket.  I had to teach this guy how to shave, button his blouse, get his foot locker squared away, etc.  The guy had a big heart, and REALLY wanted to be there.  Very motivated, but Not All There.

After the fraud was discovered, for which I am told the recruiters wound up on serious charges, they pulled Recruit Haddix and the guy broke down.  He tried so damned hard, even though he never got it right.  Poor guy.

Several years ago in the PGH area there was some kind of fraud whereby recruiters were supplying diplomas or something along these lines.

The Corps found out ad went totally ape shit(a they should have)

Lotta heads goot sliced.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Gomer was last seen riding in a red convertible with Rock Hudson..That was some years ago
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Several years ago while putting flags on Veteran's graves in Clarksville, TN, I found Sgt. Carter's burial spot (his real name is Frank Sutton).

Based on his IMDB bio, I put a flag on his grave site.

From IMDB:  

While serving in the U.S. Army in WWII, he distinguished himself by taking part in 14 assault landings, including Leyte, Luzon, Bataan and Corregidor.

In an interesting turnaround, the actor whose best known role was playing a Marine sergeant, could not pass the Marine Corps. physical during WWII and ended up serving in the Army.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I remember several years ago Pvt Pyle (Jim Nabors) was honorarily promoted to PFC or Cpl or something like that by the Corps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn funny show IMHO.

Yeah........It's a little dated now but it was made back when TV shows didn't have to be all flash.

My kids gave me the first season on DVD last year. It's in B&W but without commercials and a few people doing comentaries it's pretty good fun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#26]

"KNOCK IT OFF!!!"

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#28]
How the fuck did that rumor start in the first place, him being gay? Even in our uber-permissive society he's never come out and I've never heard him being linked to a "special friend" (except Rock Hudson, and that was proved false a long time ago).

I bet some anchor clanker started it...
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember several years ago Pvt Pyle (Jim Nabors) was honorarily promoted to PFC or Cpl or something like that by the Corps.

Here you go: http://www.jimnabors.com/promotion3.html

Here he is getting his Corporal's chevrons. He was also presented with a saber.

http://www.jimnabors.com/promotion/070925-M-9539H-065_low.jpghttp://www.jimnabors.com/promotion/070925-M-9539H-065_low.jpg

As an aside, I really wish people would stop with the Jim Nabors being gay crap. The guy has always stood up for Marines and other folks in uniform, and that slanderous accusation really pains him. It's false. He doesn't deserve it. Knock it the fuck off, alright?

THIS And even if he was gay it don't fucking matter

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go:  http://www.jimnabors.com/promotion3.html

http://www.jimnabors.com/promotion/070925-M-9539H-065_low.jpghttp://www.jimnabors.com/promotion/070925-M-9539H-065_low.jpg

As an aside, I really wish people would stop with the Jim Nabors being gay crap.  The guy has always stood up for Marines and other folks in uniform, and that slanderous accusation really pains him.  It's false.  He doesn't deserve it.  Knock it the fuck off, alright?

The Nabors-being-gay thing was a joke by two gay agents in Hollywood who sent out a fake invitation to a party whose theme was "Rock Hudson and Jim Nabors getting married".  As everyone and his dog apparently knew at that point that Hudson was gay and Nabors wasn't, it was pretty funny.  It would be like an invitation to the wedding of Jerry Falwell and Richard Simmons.  The problem was that Hudson freaked out about it and refused to be seen with Nabors (who was offended, as he was friends with Hudson) ever again, and the rumor spread.  Nabors, being a gentleman, didn't discuss the rumor.  That's from Ernest Borgnine to my grandfather, essentially verbatim.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As an aside, I really wish people would stop with the Jim Nabors being gay crap. The guy has always stood up for Marines and other folks in uniform, and that slanderous accusation really pains him. It's false. He doesn't deserve it. Knock it the fuck off, alright?

The Nabors-being-gay thing was a joke by two gay agents in Hollywood who sent out a fake invitation to a party whose theme was "Rock Hudson and Jim Nabors getting married". As everyone and his dog apparently knew at that point that Hudson was gay and Nabors wasn't, it was pretty funny. It would be like an invitation to the wedding of Jerry Falwell and Richard Simmons. The problem was that Hudson freaked out about it and refused to be seen with Nabors (who was offended, as he was friends with Hudson) ever again, and the rumor spread. Nabors, being a gentleman, didn't discuss the rumor. That's from Ernest Borgnine to my grandfather, essentially verbatim.

Wait... Ernest Borgnine and your Grandfather were gay?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Nabors-being-gay thing was a joke by two gay agents in Hollywood who sent out a fake invitation to a party whose theme was "Rock Hudson and Jim Nabors getting married". As everyone and his dog apparently knew at that point that Hudson was gay and Nabors wasn't, it was pretty funny. It would be like an invitation to the wedding of Jerry Falwell and Richard Simmons. The problem was that Hudson freaked out about it and refused to be seen with Nabors (who was offended, as he was friends with Hudson) ever again, and the rumor spread. Nabors, being a gentleman, didn't discuss the rumor. That's from Ernest Borgnine to my grandfather, essentially verbatim.

Wait... Ernest Borgnine and your Grandfather were gay?

They were certainly merry!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

TV Land....channel of the oldies, check it out, maybe there.

no, they aren't running that one....that station should shake up its programming soon though....Gunsmoke? Andy Grifith show? are they serious?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Damn......a double tap!

Oh well........so it's not a wasted post, I'll post another pic of our favorate "misunderstood" Private Pyle

http://www.qppoa.com/cgi-script/csBlog/images/231.jpg

Pyle, 0300 Infantry...you made it!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I cannot believe that nobody has posted this current photo of him...

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww164/KCSlim/huck.jpg
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know which episode was the very last one of "Gomer Pyle"? I thought it was one where they try air-filled landing craft from a LST & Pyle stuck a bayonet in the air bladder. Hilarity ensued.

I always try to watch THE last episode of my favorite shows: Cheers, Barney Miller, NYPD Blue, L.A. Law, etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Several years ago while putting flags on Veteran's graves in Clarksville, TN, I found Sgt. Carter's burial spot (his real name is Frank Sutton).

Based on his IMDB bio, I put a flag on his grave site.

From IMDB:  

While serving in the U.S. Army in WWII, he distinguished himself by taking part in 14 assault landings, including Leyte, Luzon, Bataan and Corregidor.

In an interesting turnaround, the actor whose best known role was playing a Marine sergeant, could not pass the Marine Corps. physical during WWII and ended up serving in the Army.

Thank you.

Never knew hew was buried there when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell. I would have visited.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is it on anywhere, it was one of the funniest shows ever on t.v. I've been wanting to watch it with my son for a long time now, but I can never find it. Andy Griffith is getting tiring even though it was a great show. I love the Hillbillys, but they've been over played lately too. Is it available on d.v.d,? I know this is a stupid question, but just wanted to know.

Gomer started taking leave in Greenwich Village, contracted HIV, then died.

EDIT:
Forgive me. It was not Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors). It was Mr. Brady.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top