Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 8:03:24 PM EDT
I did a search and didn't find anything.  Got this e-mail today.

Fifty Years of Math 1959-2009 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I lol'ed on the outside but deep down I was more like
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Madera maestra? quien compro la madera?O dile que voy estar en Home Depot si necesita alguien que haja trabajo con la madera.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
orange julius 1 week ago.  
order the medium julius $3.49 (for a figure)  she ask again what did you want ?
the $3.49 OJ
blank stare..........which one is that, sm, med or lg???????????????? keeping in mind the price is posted about 1/4 the size of the drink.
Medium please.  total comes to $3.68
hand her $4.18. she goes you gave me to much, it's $3.68.................breif explaination of preferring $0.50 than lots of smaller coin.
tears?? not really but you could tell this one was not taught to her in school. time elapsed from my explaination was 5min (yes i watched the clock behind her move)  like the deer in my headlights.
This my friends is the real Pandemic

You do realize there are no numbers on cash registers. Only pictures of the food they serve. vary 1 inch anywhere off those pics and all hell breaks loose. Try it at lunchtime.

Sure the old ladies @ subway & quizinos are slow but they get it.......
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I get thrown off every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
that's sad...
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had trouble like that while working a cash register many years ago. It wasn't because I couldn't figure out the change in my head. The register just sucked and was very hard to use. If I didn't follow its procedure exactly it would bitch at me. Maybe she knew that it was supposed to be two quarters but the register wouldn't let her give them out without a manager. Maybe I just have too much faith in the mentally retarded people who are now working in this country...

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a change-rounder too. I was a cashier for many years so it's second nature to me... but it drives these kids nuts.

My favorites are like when it's $6.68 and I hand them $22.18. Never made one cry, but it does cause them to freeze up sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Reminds me of something I heard on the radio the other night.

In 1969: Johnny goes duck hunting before school. He pulls into the parking lot with his shotgun in the gun rack of his pickup truck. The principal sees Johnny driving into the parking lot, sees the gun, and asks Johnny if he can take a look at it. The principle shows Johnny the over/under he has in the trunk of his car and asks him about he favorite hunting spots.

2009: Johnny goes duck hunting before school. He pulls into the parking lot with his shotgun in the gun rack of his pickup truck. The principal sees Johnny driving into the parking lot, calls the police who order a SWAT unit in. Johnny is arrested, suspended from school, and forced to undergo therapy. He never sees the pickup truck or the shotgun again.

Ironically (?) I sat in the parking lot listening to this before running into the box-store on an ammo check. As of Monday, that store no longer sells ammo
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In 1969: Johnny goes duck hunting before school. He pulls into the parking lot with his shotgun in the gun rack of his pickup truck. The principal sees Johnny driving into the parking lot, sees the gun, and asks Johnny if he can take a look at it. The principle shows Johnny the over/under he has in the trunk of his car and asks him about he favorite hunting spots.

2009: Johnny goes duck hunting before school. He pulls into the parking lot with his shotgun in the gun rack of his pickup truck. The principal sees Johnny driving into the parking lot, calls the police who order a SWAT unit in. Johnny is arrested, suspended from school, and forced to undergo therapy. He never sees the pickup truck or the shotgun again.

Ironically (?) I sat in the parking lot listening to this before running into the box-store on an ammo check. As of Monday, that store no longer sells ammo

You sure they weren't just out... Again?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure they weren't just out... Again?

Sadly, no: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=866222
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#13]
This is why I can't wait for the local gas station/orange julius/fast food restaurant grunt to be replaced by those nice automated checkout machines at my local grocery store and WalMart.  

I'd much rather have an inanimate touchscreen than be greeted by "whatchoo want?".
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:19:12 AM EDT
[#14]
For the morning crew.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#15]
The bill is  $4.36.

Give them a five.

After they ring it up, hand them .36.

Hilarity ensues.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did a search and didn't find anything.  Got this e-mail today.

Fifty Years of Math 1959-2009 (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

Haven't seen the newest version, I take it?

7. Teaching Math in 2020

Bob has 30 rounds for his rifle, there are 45 illegal aliens in range.  Which does Bob target for maximum effect?  Be prepared to discuss your choice  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top