Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2002 8:39:11 PM EDT
I think I need to tune the extractor on one of my 1911 pistols.  It used to feed perfectly but now it is starting to have failure to extract.  Also, all the brass from my reload used to drop about 4-5 feet to my right in a small area but now it flies all over the place including my face.

HELP!!  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
... Here is your best bet. [url]http://www.cdnninvestments.com/chipmccortun.html[/url]

... I used to buy several steel extractors at fun shows for about $4 each and "tinker" with differing angles. The stiffness plays a big role on how far they land from you, have you lowered your port yet?

... Then I bought a Chip McCormick
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Basically, you tune it by bending it.  Take it out, turn it around and put the back end in the hole in the slide.  Use the slide as a handle and bend the extractor a bit so that it grabs the cartridge rim with a bit more force.  Push near the end and go easy.  It takes a fair amount of force and you don't need to bend it much.  When it's reassembled, a loaded cartridge should be held against the breechface and just hang down a little.  

[url]www.brownells.com[/url] sells gauges to measure the force, as well a a neat tool to bend the extractor.  My thumb seems to work OK.

Sounds like yours might need a little more spring.  Also make sure your ejector is still on tight.  A loose ejector could add to the spray you're talking about.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Before you buy or do anything, I suggest you read the stuff on this page. Lots of really good articles, etc, about tuning and enhancing a 1911 pistol.
[url]http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think I need to tune the extractor on one of my 1911 pistols.  It used to feed perfectly but now it is starting to have failure to extract.  Also, all the brass from my reload used to drop about 4-5 feet to my right in a small area but now it flies all over the place including my face.

HELP!!  
View Quote

Hey yobo!  I had similar problems with one of my Kimbers.  Sometimes not feeding, and other times throwing brass way out.  It had always been great and absolutely no malfunctions.  Then I read in my 1911 book that it was most likely the recoil spring.  So, I put in a new recoil spring and everything was back to normal.  You might try this.  It soesn't cost much and you can always use another spring.  Good luck and hope your problems is solved soon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hey yobo!  I had similar problems with one of my Kimbers.  Sometimes not feeding, and other times throwing brass way out.  It had always been great and absolutely no malfunctions.  Then I read in my 1911 book that it was most likely the recoil spring.  So, I put in a new recoil spring and everything was back to normal.  You might try this.  It soesn't cost much and you can always use another spring.  Good luck and hope your problems is solved soon.
View Quote

Bulletguy;

That was the first thing I tried.  I changed the recoil spring to a new one with same weight but it didn't do anything.  I still think the problem is with the extractor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
18 pound works for me, as well.  I also cut the extractor groove a little deeper.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Have to make sure you use the chamber brush periodically also.......[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top