Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2009 1:51:02 PM EDT
First off i have never served in the military.I usually wear my hair short,but not as short as a high and tight. I want to try it. Would I be  poser if I got one?? Also,if i walked into a fantastic Sams or such and asked for a high and tight,you think they owuld know what i was talking about??
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 29 and I've done the high and tight since I was 21. The only way to go imho. zero maintenance.  and no i've never served.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.  Hell, even on base it's hard to get a good one sometimes.

Start getting SF tattoos and bragging about your time in and you're due an asswhipping.  Otherwise, enjoy a nice low maintenance haircut.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you don't claim to belong to something you never belonged to, I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Those of us who wore a uniform in the service did so so that you could have the freedom to express yourself however you want to.

As long as you are not walking around wearing uniform items from units you never served in, or making claims about yourself that are not true, you are not a "poser."

Cut your hair however you want.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a high and bald.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
No, you wouldn't be a poser.  Funny, when I was a kid, I thought it was 'cool' to have long hair...

now I attack my son with the clippers once a month!

'course, he likes it that way, if he wanted long hair, I wouldn't mind so long as his head is in the right place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear one and I've never served.  I do keep my address up to date with the selective service even though I am no longer required to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Go ahead its a good look, like everyone else says though its the uniform items and tats that piss people off. I went into boot with a guy who already had a EGA tatt... ironically he didnt make it through.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I work 24hour days. The high and tight just works for me.  I am a DIY high and tight.  My wife helps trim the back of my neck.  If you walk in and ask for a high and tight, and they don't know what you mean, then walk out!
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
It's still (mostly) the land of the free, knock yourself out.  

Former U.S. Army  and wears a crew cut cause his hair's fallin out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You've got the right to punch yourself in the nuts, so I suppose purposely getting a high and tight is pretty much the same concept.....  
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go ahead its a good look, like everyone else says though its the uniform items and tats that piss people off. I went into boot with a guy who already had a EGA tatt... ironically he didnt make it through.

It's a haircut.  That's it.

Incidentally, didn't the USMC outlaw some of the traditional  haircuts?

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, you wouldn't be a poser.  Funny, when I was a kid, I thought it was 'cool' to have long hair...

now I attack my son with the clippers once a month!

'course, he likes it that way, if he wanted long hair, I wouldn't mind so long as his head is in the right place.

Not a poser. I personally can never see myself wearing long hair again ever.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As long as you don't claim to belong to something you never belonged to, I don't see a problem.

This..
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I wear a scrub cap 8-24hrs at a time. The shorter the better for me, since it's low maintenance & stays cool. I often wear a tight clipper fade from "0" up to "3" on top. It's not a poseur haircut, IMHO. It's a great low-maintenance way to wear the hair, especially with those hats & the 100 degree+ temps here.

I think you're safe from any Stolen Valor accusations. It just so happens that you & the military find utility in short hair. That's a far cry from wearing un-earned decorations.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I hope it doesn't make one a poser, as I've been wearing my hair like that for years and I've never served...
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a high and bald.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
My haircut has been high and tight since 1988 when I got in the fire department, low maint. is definitely the way to go.

I tired of waiting and paying to get it cut once every 2 weeks and decided to start doing it myself, for the last 15 years I have been using my Wahl shears,  a decent mirror and a smaller mirror for the detail on the back.

After cutting it a couple times the time it took to complete the cut shrunk dramatically, I am 2 weeks into my last cut so I did mine this afternoon and it took all of 20 minutes including the shave to make it right.

Figuring up 15 bucks every 2 weeks is saving me around 1700 bucks a year and thats not including the diesel or time to get there, wait, get the cut and get back to home.

While your at it learn to use a blade, preferably a hollow ground blade, who knows how much I have saved on razors throughout the years but thats another story and total for a different thread.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked it up as a ditch digger as a teenager, I still wear it ( granted I'm almost 22 now. )  All the same, I've never served in the military, even though I would like to.

Go ahead and do it, it's one less thing for a man to worry about, and it looks sharp as Hell.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#20]
my dad is a Marine(ret). Its the only haircut I've ever worn.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Low Reg
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]
It's just a haircut.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's just a haircut.

This. Who gives a shit? Even cops wear high and tights.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

First off i have never served in the military.I usually wear my hair short,but not as short as a high and tight. I want to try it. Would I be  poser if I got one?? Also,if i walked into a fantastic Sams or such and asked for a high and tight,you think they owuld know what i was talking about??

Why the hell do you even care what other people think...... grow a set!

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Excluding the fact I served...  

A high-n-tight is clean and sharp.  It's easier to wipe the sweat, wash out the dirt, and you don't have spend extra money on shampoo when your body wash or soap will easily do the same thing.  No worrying about hair spray or gel to some of those that worry about vanity.  It screams feminine when a guy continues to mess with his hair more than my fiancee does with hers... and that's not often.  

.mil or .civ....   it doesn't matter... I'm +1 for high-n-tight.  

Just don't pose as something that you're not and you'll be A-OK.  

ETA:  

A high-n-tight will also prevent someone from grabbing your hair during a fight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's just a haircut.

Difference is cops think they are in The Military, They are posers.

Get the damn haircut
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

why? Because i respect the opinion of those that have served.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's still (mostly) the land of the free, knock yourself out.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
That's how I sport mine now, long hair was the norm for very many years.

Bought my own set of good clippers (whal) and do it myself now.

No looking back, never thought of it as being a poser, just like the simplicity of it now.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It's just a haircut.

Dang, I thought this was going to be a post about underwear.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good luck.  Hell, even on base it's hard to get a good one sometimes.

Start getting SF tattoos and bragging about your time in and you're due an asswhipping.  Otherwise, enjoy a nice low maintenance haircut.

this is sound advice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I would get the crew cut and leave some length on top
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd say go for it. Though I would find a better place than Fantastic Sams for a "High and Tight"................
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#36]
WTH you guys talking about low maintenance? When I was in, I had to re-cut every week (week and a half max) before it started to look "bert" weird.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to posers who get tattoos with the part you highlighted.... And the Marine Corps has changed a lot of things and continues to do so. Standards are currently bulk of the hair must be 2" with no hair fully extended going past 3 inches (for people with curly hair) No eccentric cuts (essentially command discretion) no horseshoes and a few other things. The aim is to look professional and since a few individuals always like to push the standard we stick with a set standard that can be measured. High and tight is not required and is simply one option of what we can have.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Now that is high & tight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I shave my head every other week or so with a #2 guard. Low maintenance, isn't a primarily military hair cut and it doesn't look like crap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't usually get a high and tight, but I'll get it cut real short.  Sometimes I'll sport a flat top if I feel like doing something to my hair.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#41]
It is a haircut.

WTF?

Do you need someone to go with you when you go to the bathroom?
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

why? Because i respect the opinion of those that have served.

You have our blessing.....

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the horse shoe...

That was a fucking punk rock hair cut!!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I on-and-off go for periods of several months or so of just shaving my head down with a #2 at its closest setting. I was blessed with a relatively non-lumpy head so my GF likes it. Otherwise I have #2 on the sides and back and about an inch of growth on the top.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Go with what ever makes you comfortable. I like a real tight fade. I think it is very comfortable and low maintenance especially in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just a haircut.

Because they think........wait for it.......
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#47]
High and tights are horrible looking hair cuts, anything high reg is a horrible looking haircut.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Good Grief!  It's a haircut.

By writing that post you are a poseur for thinking you are an author.

By asking the question you are a phony philospher.

By not cutting your hair you are trying to be a hippie.

Poseur!!!

All the military worship on this site is
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mohawks are unsat......High & tight should still be GTG

I wore high & tight up until about my last year....then got reg....

Been wearing a USMC reg haircut ever since
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#50]
i dont have a problem with it

permission granted

carry on

(chicks DIG the bootbrush..  just another option)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top