Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/15/2002 7:04:16 PM EDT
So now that Honda and Yamaha build such good big bikes who needs a Harley. The Valkyrie and the Royalstar/Roadstar are twice the bike that any Harley could hope to be.

And then you go to a Harley dealership and attempt to buy a bike. Well you can't order one. You just have to take what they get. You can't get one standard cause they won't sell them like that. You have to pay for all the dealer installed overpriced options. Any way you look at it, unless you just get lucky, your're screwed. And heaven forbid you try to buy one out of your area, most of the dealers will tell you to go buy one from your own dealership (well the ones around Houston anyway).

You can go buy a Japanese bike anywhere you want from any dealer you want. You can get it stock right out of the crate or decked out with any options you want. You can have it your way, the American way.

I think I'll take up a new hobby like watching my corvette rust before I'll give those Commy bastards a single red cent of mine. I won't buy an Apple computer cause they tell me how I have to take it and I won't buy a Harley for the same reason. Those guys are just Commy bastards hiding behind the American flag.

It's pretty bad when the Japanese are more American than Americans. How embarrasing. [puke]

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang Retro! Tell us how you really feel!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Next topic: Apple Pie- The Devils Pastry
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought four in the last 15 years, never had to pay over retail or take any unwanted options. Anything I wanted, the dealer installed, any way I wanted it. Never lost money when I sold it either. Check the prices on a three year old Japanese bike.

The local dealer takes orders with a deposit, and calls when your bike comes in. How complicated is that?

The reason that the Japanese bikes are available, and the Harleys are not is obviously, the law of supply and demand. If the Honda and Yamaha are so much better, why can you buy one immediately at any dealer, but a Road King is likely not in stock?

Strangely enough, 99 year old US company Harley-Davidson (Commie?) was just selected as the best company in the US to work for. Meanwhile, you want to send money to a protectionist society in Japan, where you cannot legally own a firearm, and Americans are scorned.

Retrodog, are you just stirring the pot? Agent provocateur?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Right on retrodog !

Harleys cost twice the amount that they should. You are just paying for the name. Just becuase harley was the only American made bike for so long they jack up the prices. How American is that ? Now that Polaris is making big street bikes I hope they take away some of harley's bussiness. But they probably won't becuase the sheeple all seem to like paying outrageous prices to have h d on their bikes.

Harley purposly keeps production low so that people have to be on waiting lists to get the bikes they want and to keep demand up so they can keep raping everyone.

15k and up for a fucking motorcycle ??? Give me a break. For that much money I could get a really nice Chevelle. I can't see paying more then 10k for a motorcycle.

Harley has somewhat of a monopoly and they take full advantage of it. Screw them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]

posted by SF

Bought four in the last 15 years, never had to pay over retail or take any unwanted options. Anything I wanted, the dealer installed, any way I wanted it. Never lost money when I sold it either. Check the prices on a three year old Japanese bike.

The local dealer takes orders with a deposit, and calls when your bike comes in. How complicated is that?

The reason that the Japanese bikes are available, and the Harleys are not is obviously, the law of supply and demand. If the Honda and Yamaha are so much better, why can you buy one immediately at any dealer, but a Road King is likely not in stock?

Strangely enough, 99 year old US company Harley-Davidson (Commie?) was just selected as the best company in the US to work for. Meanwhile, you want to send money to a protectionist society in Japan, where you cannot legally own a firearm, and Americans are scorned.

Retrodog, are you just stirring the pot? Agent provocateur?
View Quote

Hehehehe, stirring the pot, hehehehe

Not really. I'm glad to know that you can buy whatever you want over there in the Carolinas. That's nice for you. We aren't so lucky in the Houston area. As far as supply and demand are concerned, they (Harley) controls that just to keep demand up and a synthetic apeal of the bike. Well it's not really a synthetic appeal but they do control it for that very reason. So that is sort of BS. People are just brainwashed to believe by the image that Harley has created. Why else would people pay almost twice as much for a lesser motorcycle. You can't use resale value cause that just continues to prove my point about the control and effect that Harley has created. I'm sure that they are one of the best companies to work for cause you probably get pain well (due to the prices) and the whole reputation/pride that goes along with the "Harley created" image. Just more brainwashing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Preach on, Retro1 Here in Phoenix, it's the same way, but with "mandatory" freight, set-up, K-Y lube, tacked on. I'll never buy one just to say I have one. I could a Japanese cruiser, and a japanese sport bike for LESS!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
You may just be in a difficult area. Bought bikes (along with friends) in FL, WI, NC, SC, VA, and Puerto Rico. The only places I know to avoid for buying are Daytona, Barnett's, and anywhere within 500 miles of Sturgis.

Production doubled in less than 10 years.  Plans to double again without sacrificing quality.  New plant opened in KC to increase capacity in '98? New design and production of a model with a Porsche designed water cooled power plant?

Price the Jap bikes, and the Polaris.  They are all north of $10,000. New Harleys run from $6500 to $19,000. Again, supply and demand.

The Porsche Company President once said that his goal was to manufacture one less car per year than the market demanded. Sounds like H-D may be on to this plan.

Brainwashed? I guess so. Every time I start that baby up! Kinda' like owning a belt fed, eh?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Porsche? Don't even get me started on those Euro-snobby arrogant bastards. You want a part, wait a month or two. You want service, pray to the German automotive gods.

But I digress, this thread is about Harleys. I have a friend who bought two of the full blown touring Harleys. They were about $24K each. The equivelent Goldwing (cause that is what's equivelent to these) is about $17k. I also have a friend who bought this Goldwing. Well the Harley's have a little more chrome but pretty similar bikes. The Honda rider has logged about 33k miles in a little over one year. The Harleys are at about 2k miles each. The Honda has only had regular service. One of the Harleys has been back to the shop twice, once for a short to the left signal and once for a brake line leak.

I think I'll get me a Valkyrie next time, when I get tired of my Kawi GPZ.

Oh and as far as buying a Harley for supporting Americans, that is just the Harley company flying the flag to suck your pockets dry (more of their brainwashing propoganda). Not much better than Clinton waving a flag while screwing your daughter. Sure, you feel all patriotic and all but the next day,,, better find some ointment for the rash. Yukkkk!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My father in law used to sell harley's He got out of the bussines when the corperation started making demands. He wanted a bike only shop. The corperation would not sell him one bike unless he also sold harley trinkets , like panties,cigs and spiked leather. He wasn't into the junk trade so he quite. This junk sales is what is making harley money and destroying the real bike.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
retrodog

If you are trying to deal at Mancuso's, I feel for ya. He is a dick.

I'm curious if you Harleyhaters own any Colt rifles?[;)]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
as far as i can tell, around here, the harley shop at least doubles sales for honda. the harley shop gouges bad. they are always behind, but instead of a list they just jack the price. i know of a guy that paid like 15 for a f*cking sportster. he is the mid life type and didnt know any better, but he got to take the bike home soon after. i think a lot of guys go to harley, get told it will be a year or so, and go to a jap shop. personally, i cant afford more then a 1982 honda, so harley is out of the question.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like your friend should have shopped around some more. As far as the Road King and Gold Wing debate, wait a few years and see what they are worth, the Road King will be worth more than double. As for some of the guys that are so down on Harleys [>(][>(][>(]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I personally can not stand Harley's.

Not because of the price, thats their right to charge what they want for a name/style (Like Rolex, yes they are nice watches but you can get nicer and more complicated ones for comparibly less.)

Not because of the lack of availability, for the reasons others have mentioned.

Nope, I don't like them because almost as a rule they are _too farking loud_!!!  I should note that this is probably because I see far too many people who think that its "ok" to deafen everyone around because hey, it's a Harley man.

Now a Ducati on the other hand has a nice exhaust note...
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I personally can not stand Harley's.

Not because of the price, thats their right to charge what they want for a name/style (Like Rolex, yes they are nice watches but you can get nicer and more complicated ones for comparibly less.)

Not because of the lack of availability, for the reasons others have mentioned.

Nope, I don't like them because almost as a rule they are _too farking loud_!!!  I should note that this is probably because I see far too many people who think that its "ok" to deafen everyone around because hey, it's a Harley man.

Now a Ducati on the other hand has a nice exhaust note...
View Quote

If its too loud, you're too OLD.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#16]

posted by stokes

I'd rather push a oil leaking Harley past the JapBikeShop than send a copper penny overseas....
View Quote

...and you will most likely get your wish [:D]

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#17]

posted by 455sd

I'm curious if you Harleyhaters own any Colt rifles?
View Quote

Sure do. I bought mine at a gun show for about the same price as an Armalite or Bushy. Nobody tried to force me to buy a scope or special trigger or case or anything else. I sure as hell don't see any correlation here, but nice try I guess. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Harley Makes more on their merchandising than they do on their bikes.  That is a fact.  But what is wrong with that?  Nothing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd rather push a oil leaking Harley past the JapBikeShop than send a copper penny overseas....
View Quote

That's unfortunate because Japanese (like it or not) build better machines and unlike American workers take pride in a job well done. They don't push them out the door in a rage just to make a buck. They focus on building a product that won't require a dealership to handle the problems and warranty work from now until eternity. American auto and motorcyle makers focus on building the quickest, cutting as many corners to reduce costs, and selling at the highest possible price to cover warranty work.

It's sad...it really is...
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sounds like your friend should have shopped around some more. As far as the Road King and Gold Wing debate, wait a few years and see what they are worth, the Road King will be worth more than double. As for some of the guys that are so down on Harleys [>(][>(][>(]
View Quote

I get so tired of this stupid argument.  So if you overpay out the heinie for something and then don't lose any money you're better off than someone who got a paid less for a better product that depreciates normally?  

Tell you what.  I'll sell you an AR15 for four times the market value but I'll guarantee in five years I'll buy it back for what you paid.  Any takers?  

Another twist?  Let's take $20K.  I'll buy a brand spanking new jap bike for $8k and you buy a hardley ableson for $20k.  In 6 years mine will will probably be worth $3k or so but I'll invest that leftover $12k at a safe 7%.  I now have more money than you and a bike that is faster, more reliable, and more comfortable.  Non depreciation is only a selling point if you aren't taking up the rear in the initial price.

David
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Harley Makes more on their merchandising than they do on their bikes.  That is a fact.  But what is wrong with that?  Nothing.
View Quote

What's wrong with it?  Harley is DESTROYING its image with ridiculous merchandise and licensing.  That's a big mistake.  If I see another leathery 65-year old crack whore with saggy tits wearing HD chaps and carrying the "official" HD handbag, I'm gonna puke.

HD is reaching market saturation, so now ANYBODY can display the HD name, and destroy the HD image.  I'm not saying this as anything against HD, just a desire to see the HD name return to what it once was, and not sink into the McDonalds world of marketing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't own a Harley.  Never have.

I've ridden my fair share of European and Japanese dirt bikes and have only owned Jap street bikes.

My only experience with Harley has been riding a couple that my friends have owned, and being around my sons grandfather who owns a few, including the one he is keeping for my son when he turns 18.  Granted, all the Harley's I have first hand experience with have been '90's era Evo engines.

I can say this:

They're not loud if left stock.
They don't leak oil.
They have plenty of power for [i] cruising [/i].
They [i] are [/i] reliable.
They definitely retain their value better than 99percent of the Jap bikes on the road.
They are way too expensive for the minimal amount of modern technological advancements they offer on their machinery.

I don't know squat about the politics of the company or the hassles involved with buying one, though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#23]
That may be true with some cars, but I don't think it applies to the trucks. American trucks are more reliable and more powerful than anything I've seen the foreigners come out with.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one HD piece of merchandise----a HD wifebeater and I save it for one important use---to wear to GWAR shows.......HD covered in fake blood........I have owned lots of bikes, but I would rather ride than push.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You may just be in a difficult area. Bought bikes (along with friends) in FL, WI, NC, SC, VA, and Puerto Rico. The only places I know to avoid for buying are Daytona, Barnett's, and anywhere within 500 miles of Sturgis.

Production doubled in less than 10 years.  Plans to double again without sacrificing quality.  New plant opened in KC to increase capacity in '98? New design and production of a model with a Porsche designed water cooled power plant?

Price the Jap bikes, and the Polaris.  They are all north of $10,000. New Harleys run from $6500 to $19,000. Again, supply and demand.

The Porsche Company President once said that his goal was to manufacture one less car per year than the market demanded. Sounds like H-D may be on to this plan.

Brainwashed? I guess so. Every time I start that baby up! Kinda' like owning a belt fed, eh?
View Quote
I don't know where you get your prices.  Everytime I have priced bikes in the last 10 years, the Hardly Ablesons have been twice the price for a bike that is slower, doesn't handle as well, and is not as reliable.

As for your comment earlier about availability, when you aren't making many to start with, doubling output isn't saying much and most Hardly sales are based on sentimentality, not logic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#26]
People buy Hardley's for the same reason they buy Rolex or Montblanc. . . the name.

There are better (actually much, much, much better) watches than Rolex, which are also much less expensive, but many people think Rolex is the pinnacle of horology.  They think they have "made it" when they have a Rolex.  Likewise with Montblanc and pens.

There are many, many bikes that are better and less expensive than Harley's, but some people buy into all that image crap.  Around here about the only time you see a Hardley is on a weekend when the owner (notice I didn't say rider) takes it out to show off all the chrome he spent the past week polishing.  Don't even get me started on the stupid loud pipes and the outfits!  I know a cop who pulled over some Hardley dude with his leather costume and a rag tied around his head.  The guy protested "but I'm a doctor!".  THe cop said "If you stand on a street corner downtown in a skirt, people make certain assumptions."

As for me, I already have a personality and a lifestyle, I don't need to buy one from my local Hardley dealer!

Bill
2001 Triumph Sprint ST
Ulysse Nardin GMT Perpetual
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude -

Those "Jap" bikes are made in the USA. Formerly, by my brother, when he lived in  Ohio.

By NOT buying a Jap bike, you cost my brother his job. [}:D]

OK, not really. [:D] But this MYTH than Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki are "Jap" bikes annoys me. Here in the 21st century, it ain't that simple. They are made in America, by Americans, sold by Americans, serviced by Americans, financed by Americans.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#28]
If the Japanese bikes are better, buy them.  Bitching about HD's prices and availability only makes it sound like you would rather have one but either can't afford it, or it's not available at the time you want it.  HD would not be the first company to limit supply in order to maintain prices where they want them.  Chevrolet does it with their Corvettes, DeBeers does it with diamonds, OPEC does it with oil.  There's nothing wrong with it.  It's capitalism at work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Cry babies. The only real common thread that seem to be coming from this is money. It sounds like money envy. Lets equate this to guns. Why should I but a Remington 700 pss with a 3.5-14 x 50 Vari-x III. My Savage with a Simons 4-12 x 40 will shoot as well.... Or Who needs a Scattergun tricked out shotgun, all I need is my Mossberg 500 ......... All I know is that when I get to the range, hunting or out on the bike, I never have to wonder if I have the best that I can have. Do I have to have these? No. Would the others work for me? Yes. Would I be as happy with them? No. Ya'll enjoy your jap bikes, and keep the rubber side down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Harley Davidson are fantastic captalists - they are selling people a shitty product for more than it is worth.  Good for them!!  It's the American dream in action.
View Quote

YUP!!!!!!!

Good old fashioned capitalism!!!!!!!!!!

The Aries K car was the UNLTIMATE form of capitalism. It was only worth about $300 brand new, but if memory serves, dealers  sold for over $5000.

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's unfortunate because Japanese (like it or not) build better machines and unlike American workers take pride in a job well done. They don't push them out the door in a rage just to make a buck. They focus on building a product that won't require a dealership to handle the problems and warranty work from now until eternity. American auto and motorcyle makers focus on building the quickest, cutting as many corners to reduce costs, and selling at the highest possible price to cover warranty work.

It's sad...it really is...
View Quote

So I guess you have been to the plant and seen the pride our mechanics take in building a Harley? Obviously you havent!  As far as everyone crying about how much cheaper Jap bikes are, you get what you pay for. Why doesnt everyone just go buy Hesse lowers since they are such a better deal?  Resale on a Harley is way better than any car, boat, plane, motorcycle or anything else you can buy short of a house. Go look at a jap bike in the cycle trader that is 2-3 yrs old, it is way less than 1/2 of a new one. A HArley will still be nearly what it sold for new 2-3 years later.  It all boils down to what you can afford. I cant afford a $500k house, but I don't cry about those that can. If you just cant afford a bike that you can ride for 2-3 years and sell for what you paid for it quit your bitching, because if you think about it you can basically ride one for free by just trading every 2-3 years.

[beer]

M4A3 that was not all meant for you!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Get an Indian if you want the look or better yet get a BMW if you want to ride.  I lost all respect for HD when they started selling greatest hits CD's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So now that Honda and Yamaha build such good big bikes who needs a Harley. The Valkyrie and the Royalstar/Roadstar are twice the bike that any Harley could hope to be.
View Quote

Unless you want a heritage to go with the retro looks.

And then you go to a Harley dealership and attempt to buy a bike. Well you can't order one. You just have to take what they get. You can't get one standard cause they won't sell them like that. You have to pay for all the dealer installed overpriced options. Any way you look at it, unless you just get lucky, your're screwed. And heaven forbid you try to buy one out of your area, most of the dealers will tell you to go buy one from your own dealership (well the ones around Houston anyway).
View Quote

You've met a crappy dealer, there are lots of others.  Try somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#35]

posted by arc_angel

If the Japanese bikes are better, buy them. Bitching about HD's prices and availability only makes it sound like you would rather have one but either can't afford it, or it's not available at the time you want it. HD would not be the first company to limit supply in order to maintain prices where they want them. Chevrolet does it with their Corvettes, DeBeers does it with diamonds, OPEC does it with oil. There's nothing wrong with it. It's capitalism at work.
View Quote

Yes, I admit, I too was one of the brainwashed for a while. I almost bought into the whole deal,,, till I ran into the "runaway" capatilism problem. It's a monopoly. You can call it capatilism or I can call it Communism till we are both blue in the face but the fact remains, Those who buy into it are little more that Lemmings walking off the edge of a cliff.

Vettes, did someone say corvettes. Well I own one of those too and was not forced into buying a bunch of crap that I didn't want when I got it. And it was the best performing car at a reasonable price when I got it. That still stands today. At 45-50K you get one hell of a performance car.

posted by gun-fan

Cry babies. The only real common thread that seem to be coming from this is money. It sounds like money envy. Lets equate this to guns. Why should I but a Remington 700 pss with a 3.5-14 x 50 Vari-x III. My Savage with a Simons 4-12 x 40 will shoot as well.... Or Who needs a Scattergun tricked out shotgun, all I need is my Mossberg 500 ......... All I know is that when I get to the range, hunting or out on the bike, I never have to wonder if I have the best that I can have. Do I have to have these? No. Would the others work for me? Yes. Would I be as happy with them? No. Ya'll enjoy your jap bikes, and keep the rubber side down.
View Quote

Nice theory, but I got more cars and motorcycles and boats and other toys than you can shake a stick at. There's no such thing as money envy here, at least nothing that would keep me from buying a Hardley.  But your correlation to guns is totally screwed up. With the Hardley, you are paying premium money (sometimes twice) for an inferior product. Is the Hardley good enough? Well yes, when it isn't breaking down. [:D]

As was stated before, I'd rather ride a jap bike than push a Hardley. But hey, I'm willing to admit that they are much more reliable than they used to be. After all they had infinite room for improvement. But they are still second hand quality to european and jap bikes.

Some day, when I want to be a biker snob, I'll buy a BMW. That way I can spend too much money for a bike but still have a good one.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
retrodog

I'm curious if you Harleyhaters own any Colt rifles?[;)]
View Quote

I think HD's are rip offs. I do own a Colt rifle but only becuase it was a great deal for a preban. I'd never buy a colt postban becuase I think you are paying for the name there too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Harley Davidson has no more of a monopoly than General Motors.  Harley Davidson is not the only company making motorcycles, however it is the only one making them with Harley Davidson written on them.  I think they are real sharp bikes and I would love to have one, but if I were to buy a bike, I would probably opt for a cheaper one, just as I would probably buy a camaro over a Corvette.  THey both get the job done, it's just one is a little bit nicer, or is in greater demand, hence the high price.  I am not bitter about it.  If I were, I would be a pretty angry guy, because there is a lot I have "had to settle for" over the years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Retrodog.  You like to throw the word communism around.  Well, you're lucky to have free speech in this country.  Even if you are a pussy.  I bought my '98 softail custom for 14K new.  What other product appreciates in value. I can sell my bike for 17K easy.  AMerican wages are higher what can i tell you.  You want egg in your beer.  My stock is doing well too. ;-)
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If the Japanese bikes are better, buy them.  Bitching about HD's prices and availability only makes it sound like you would rather have one but either can't afford it, or it's not available at the time you want it.  HD would not be the first company to limit supply in order to maintain prices where they want them.  Chevrolet does it with their Corvettes, DeBeers does it with diamonds, OPEC does it with oil.  There's nothing wrong with it.  It's capitalism at work.
View Quote

Um, good luck getting diamonds that haven't been touched by DeBeers. [:D]  At least cars and oil can be had from differing sources.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Um, good luck getting diamonds that haven't been touched by DeBeers.  At least cars and oil can be had from differing sources.
View Quote

True, but you can always buy a ruby or an emerald.  It may not look the same, but with the exception of a few applications (cutting), they serve the same function, decoration.  Same with Japanese bikes and Harley's, they both provide transportation.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Um, good luck getting diamonds that haven't been touched by DeBeers.  At least cars and oil can be had from differing sources.
View Quote

True, but you can always buy a ruby or an emerald.  It may not look the same, but with the exception of a few applications (cutting), they serve the same function, decoration.  Same with Japanese bikes and Harley's, they both provide transportation.
View Quote

Umm, could you tell the ladies of this nation that an emerald, or ruby, or even a CZ would be acceptable as an engagement ring? I know that my wife was dead set on the diamond.

Talk about marketing and monopoly!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Harleys cost twice the amount that they should.
View Quote

If that were the case, they why are they backordered something like 2 years?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Heritage?  Lifestyle?  You can't buy those things.  Buy whatever motorcycle amuses you.  If it further amuses you to wear a bunch of clothing and other trinkets with a corporate logo on it, do so.  If you love that logo so much you want to fet it tatooed on your ass, do that.  It's your money, spend it however you like. But you still aren't buying a heritage, a lifestyle, or animage.  You are buying nothing but a consumer product that a company produces and sells in order to make a profit.  If you think Harley, or any other company is about anything else, you have swallowed their marketing whole. [b]That[/b] is capitalism, too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Harleys cost twice the amount that they should.
View Quote

If that were the case, they why are they backordered something like 2 years?
View Quote

Becuase people are stupid enough to pay HD prices.

Harley's cost twice that of comperable jap bikes, but they don't cost twice as much to produce. That's my whole beef with HD. They take advantage of people becuase they have somewhat of a monopoly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#47]

posted by ar-nut

Retrodog. You like to throw the word communism around. Well, you're lucky to have free speech in this country. Even if you are a pussy. I bought my '98 softail custom for 14K new. What other product appreciates in value. I can sell my bike for 17K easy. AMerican wages are higher what can i tell you. You want egg in your beer. My stock is doing well too. ;-)
View Quote

So you have to go use the "pussy" word. How original. Did you buy that intellect at the dollar store or get it out of a box of cracker jacks. You brag about the appreciation of your bike. All that does is proves one of my original points about being brainwashed. Sorry I hurt your feelers about your bike. You are reacting like my girlfriend. Oops, look who the pussy is now [:D]

And blah blah blah free speech. Of course I'm happy to have free speech. What the hell does that have to do with this though. I didn't say this country was communist, I just referred to Harley and its dealers as such. Hell I even implied in an earlier post that it doesn't matter what you want to call it, it is still BS.

Now why don't you go grow a pair to replace those Already Removed Nuts (AR-nuts). Now enough of this crap. I grow weary from a battle of wits with an unarmed man.  

As far as buying American, I own a Chevy, a Ford, and a Dodge. I'd get an American motorcycle too if they hadn't gotten so screwed up with just trying to make money. Hell, there is no image anymore. Just mostly a bunch of weekend riders made up of doctors, lawyers, and the like. See a guy on a hardley with a pony tail,,, better check, he's probably just an attorney with extensions [:D}

I know that there are still a lot of good guys out there riding Harleys. I've got good friends with them and I'll even say that they are good enough to own and ride. They just aren't good enough to justify the current situation or that of the last 15 years. It's just stupid.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Hey douchedog,

Sounds like you want a HD but you're to busy making excuses not to buy one.  I'm happy you own a Chevy, Ford, & Dodge vehicles.  You don't think they're over priced.  Why don't you buy a Kia or a Hyundia. Get more bang for the buck.  It's no different then the hypocricy you preech about HD vs. some imports.  You sound like a jealous prick, now get back to work & stop screwing around the internet. My bike is worth every penny to me. To each there own.

Why Harley Davidson, if I have to explain you'll never understand.  Just like retrodog.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I really get a kick out of those Harley guys who think that everything they own has to have a HD logo or some tie-in to their hobby.  What monomaniacs! It's really clever marketing by HD--I even saw a Ford F150 that has a Harley tie-in.  Hey, if you like the damn bikes so much, why are you driving around in a pickup (withor or without the bikes in the back)?  Lots of damn posers and tough-guy wannabes out there, I guess.  And what's with all these old-timers riding motorcycles?  Didn't they do it enough as a kid?  If not, what is the point of bothering to do it when they're old?  

NC is full of Harley worshippers.  There seems to be some unwritten rule that white dudes ride Harleys and black dudes ride Jap sport bikes with long swingarms.  I would even go as far as to say that there is Harley snobbery, which makes no sense because I'm not fooled by all the Yuppies who are only badasses on the weekends.  Fuck them and their stupid, chrome bikes.  Whenever I need to shut one of them up, I just start asking about the AMF years.  If they know what I'm talking about, they get annoyed, and if they don't, I know they haven't been into Harleys very long.

I guess I hate Harleys.  Ever ride a hardtail?  God damn, that's uncomfortable!  My $2000 used '94 Yamaha is plenty of motorcycle and handles and accelerates great.  Someday I'll buy a BMW or a Kawasaki Concours to replace it.

For all that, I'm glad HD is doing well, I just wish that they hadn't almost totally wiped out all competing categories except for the crotch-rocket.  The cruiser is not the end-all be all of motorcycle innovation and neither is the crotch-rocket.  Europeans ride much more practical motorcycles and there are a lot more motorcyclists in Europe as a result.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For all that, I'm glad HD is doing well, I just wish that they hadn't almost totally wiped out all competing categories except for the crotch-rocket.  The cruiser is not the end-all be all of motorcycle innovation and neither is the crotch-rocket.  Europeans ride much more practical motorcycles and there are a lot more motorcyclists in Europe as a result.
View Quote

Europeans ride bikes more due to the OUTRAGIOUS cost of fuel. Same reason they have so much rail service. Nothing more. Who do you think buys a great deal of the Harleys & vintage Triumph's etc... at the Daytona bike week auctions? Mostly Germans. They export them from here to there. Wonder why they would do that with all those great BMW's being built there?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top