Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2002 8:30:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Last night, I awake to a horrible growling, hissing, huffing sound...it was my cat on the window next to me trying to scare off a raccoon that was tearing open a garbage bag on my porch.  So, I'm thinking I don't want to open the door in my underware, so I bang on the front door and look thru the peephole.  The 'coon just looked up and kept going.  So, I open the door, and the thing just looks up at me.  I try to shoo it away, but it only backs off slowly.  This has got to be the tamest raccoon I've ever seen (besides that Disney one :) ).
 So, my question is this, assuming the raccoon is tame enough, would it be advisable to feed the thing (wearing gloves of course)?  I mean, it never acted aggressive, and it was only about 2 feet from my feet...how mean could it be?
View Quote

When attacked, by a dog for example, a raccon can give a preety good accounting in a fight.

I've never heard of one attacking a human but then until last night I had never heard of a domestic cat striking from ambush against both a man and dog.

There was a guy in N.C. (I think) that started feeding a raccon choclate chip cookies from his hand.  In a short while the raccon communications service had broadcast the news and there must have been twenty racons in the guys backyard waiting for cookies !!  Some would eat from his hand others would run in and grab a cookie and head back to the tree line.

Made the national news and guess what !  The media could find nothing wrong in feeding choclate chips to raccons.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I would worry the racoon could even bite through your gloves?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]
As a veteran coon trapper...I would HIGHLY recommend not attempting to touch this animal. They are vicious and will fight if they have to (and fast..They have some ninja moves). Of course, I deal with them while there in a cage. I watched my grandfather hand feed one at our dear lease...so I know its possible, just not advisable.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want to find out how vicious a racoon can be..corner it some where. They are very aggressive and carriers of rabies.
View Quote

They can tear up a good sized dog, too. The cat should be thanking you for not letting her out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Any animal that will chew its leg off to get out of a trap has my eternal respect...
I would not mess with the critter, just put your trash in the trash can.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#9]
One of my Dad's older cousins used to keep coon hounds. He's told us that a favorite trick of the coon was to get a hound into water and drown it. Don't ever forget that he can be as mean as he is cute.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't see any response mentioning
"friendly " animals and rabies. That racoon should be trapped and moved. Any wild animal that is not afraid of humans is highly suspect to having rabies. You are looking at a situation where humans are getting used to "friendly" wild animals. The next coon you get near could be your last. Do yourself, your neighbors and your neighbor's children a favor and get that animal out of there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As a veteran coon trapper...I would HIGHLY recommend not attempting to touch this animal. They are vicious and will fight if they have to (and fast..They have some ninja moves). Of course, I deal with them while there in a cage. I watched my grandfather hand feed one at our dear lease...so I know its possible, just not advisable.
View Quote

Guys, I've seen a raccon, just totally flip out and start killing things!
It was sooo cool I started punking and crying with glee. [:P]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw a coon kill and chow a rabbit one time. Any coon hunter will tell you that they WILL drown a dog if they get on him in the water. I have personally witnessed a coon hunter leap into a frigid Georgia river when his dog went after a swimming coon. They are like little bears, and are really tough cookies! They can carry rabies, and readily adapt to urban environments. They will kill a house cat in a heartbeat. A neighbor who kept his cat's food bowl on the back deck found that out. His cat tried to defend his territory and was gutted by the coon in short order. It was a mess!

Keep 'em away from yer house! If they get into the attic you will really have a problem. Better buy some latched-lid trash cans. If you get rid of the food source they will go somewhere else. If they get some food they will return every night.

OT: I know some coon hunters who cut off the boar coon's dicks, dry them out, and make toothpicks out of them! Really! [:E]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of my Dad's older cousins used to keep coon hounds. He's told us that a favorite trick of the coon was to get a hound into water and drown it.
View Quote

DonR,
your Dad's cousin told it straight.
The raccon will maneuver its' adversary (a dog in this case) to a forum where the adversary has maximum disadvantage and the racoon maximum advantage.

I'll bet your Dad's cousin would also confirm
that he knew of no incident where aggressive action was initiated by the racoon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never heard of one attacking a human but then until last night I had never heard of a domestic cat striking from ambush against both a man and dog.
View Quote

Well damn!  That cat just deserves to be poisoned! [:D]
View Quote

or someo.......
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#18]
In my best Month Python accent....

Only if it's an Attack Racoon with sharp, pointy teeth!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is a pic from a few weeks ago. This badboy was highly aggressive.

[img]http://images.andale.com/f2/112/111/7410906/1011118187344_coon.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Our prison is infested with them in the summer.
View Quote

So this is where the moderators come from...
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#21]
brouhaha,
This is not advice.

What I would do with said raccoon would be to feed it by placing food on the ground and then if the food is accepted gradually move to hand-feeding.

Animals ?? Wild(?)animals I understand.  It's the human animal that I often don't understand.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#22]
A raccoon's viscosity will vary with the pressure and temperature at which it flows.  In no case, however, would a raccoon serve as suitable lubricant for an AR15-style rifle. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#23]
My Dad and his Dad would hunt coons when he was little.  On one occassion My granddad had a boy who was hunting coons climb a tree and get the one who had just taken refuge in a squirell hole.  The kid maybe 12 years old climbed that tree and reached into that hole and grabbed that coon and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE.  HE WOULDN"T LET GO OF THAT COON AND IT WAS JUST CUTTIN THE SHIT OUT OF HIM. AND THAT KID WRAPPED HIS LEGS AROUND THAT TREE AND BEAT THAT FRICKIN COON ALL TO HELL WITH HIS FREE HAND.  I DON"T KNOW WHO GOT IT WORSE BUT BY THE TIME THAT KID HAD CLIMBED DOWN THAT TREE I WAS TOLD BOTH WERE IN PRETTY BAD SHAPE.  I HAVE RESPECT FOR BOTH THE COON AND THE KID.  SURE HE WAS STUPID, BUT DAMN DON'T YOU KNOW THAT BOY WAS SOMETHING TOUGHER THEN BOOTNAILS.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They are very aggressive and carriers of rabies.
View Quote

Striker is correct about the possibility of rabies.
Raccoons, squirels, dogs, fox, etc., all maybe carriers of rabies.

Personally, just personally I've seen one rabid animal in my life.  A fox.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Trapped many and had some young-ins for pets when I was a kid...Kits make pretty good pets...its the older ones...specially the males that get real ornery..coons get along well in cities and arround man in general...cleaning up garbage being a speciality..big boars get mean...had a couple jump on our old black an tan..and he was a big B&T...try to tear his eyes out or get him into water over his head..The best thing about coons is a dog can usually tree them...then you can shine them and pop them with a 22...they are very easy to live trap...best bait Ive found was fried chicken left overs...the most humane way to dispose of them in a live trap is to drown them...(its true)
The worst thing about coons is..with fur prices down..and hunting pressure off ..and more people and more garbage..is the diseases these guys carry.. coon hound paralysis..got our old B&T...Rabies..coons often have rabies..and dystemper.. [image]http://whyfiles.org/086urban_critter/images/worms.jpg[/image] These round worms from racoons infect human brains...nasty bastards to [url]http://whyfiles.org/086urban_critter/3.html[/url] Be careful arround them once you live trap them...this disease is gaining a foot hold nation wide.. bad stuff...imo They cant bite through welding gloves ..but once you get a hold of them by the head they will try to scratch you..and their claws are sharp..they climb trees pretty fast..and the dieseases they can carry ..mostly from feces will be in their claws..which then can literaly "vaccinate" you with...agressive coons that have no or little fear of man..need to be disposed of ...carried off and burried somewhere...they do make nice hats when their fur is in "prime" if they dont have mange..and I have eaten them barbequed ..my old friends..still do..but do to the disease thing..I kinda lost my apetite for them...(I noticed that after one or two meals of them during the season even the hounds dont care to eat them and turn their noses up prefering their dog chow) Ifigured they might know something I dont so I quit eating them to...but my ole friends just scoff at that and blissfully barbeque them...bon apetite
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, just personally I've seen one rabid animal in my life.  A fox.
View Quote

A  So, if you see a woman coming toward you, no matter how much of a fox she is, and she is foaming at the mouth...  
View Quote

Aw schitttt.  I'll be back.  Got to make a quick call to my ex's husband.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
...they are very easy to live trap...best bait Ive found was fried chicken left overs..
View Quote

LOL...we use chicken necks and deer corn.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
and it was only about 2 feet from my feet...how mean could it be?
View Quote

The last coon that was 2 feet from my feet was bashed with a shovel...I was deer hunting with my friend at his very rural family camp last December in Stueben Co., NY. We hunted all day and drove down off the hill to the closest town for dinner, then returned to the camp. We were walking down to the cabin from the parking area when we heard a growl. I had my mini-mag light, and aimed it to the foundation area of the cabin. Out comes a snapping snarling coon! The little rat bastard chased us back up the stone steps and back to my friend's pickup. Normally, this would be no problem as I am usually packing a .45.

Unfortunately, my Kimber rested on my reloading bench at home (nearly 150 miles away), where I had forgotten it (hey, we left to drive down to the camp at 4:30 AM that morning!). After watching the coon retreat back under the cabin, we hoofed it back in to the cabin, grabbed a shovel and lantern, and went back outside to take care of business. The little bastard charged again. WHAP! Then, it was Miller Time next to a warm woodstove. The coon was most likely rabid.

I learned a little lesson along the way. I bet you can guess what that is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned a little lesson along the way. I bet you can guess what that is.
View Quote

Um, Miller tastes [b]good[/b] right after you kill something?  [;D]
View Quote

Careful Beekeeper, or I'll drink a toast to you!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#34]
No, They're not. Believe me I know. Wear gloves when feeding to avoid being accidentally scratched.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#35]
They are mean, nasty and brutish.  Don't try to befirend raccoons.

I had one in my attic that wouldn't leave.  I finally went 'coon hunting with my Para-Ord, stoked with CCI shotshells.

I engage 'coon at 25 feet and continued to hose him with that .45 until I ran out of shells...I only had nine in the magazine.

The bastard was closing on me as I was hosing and got within 10 feet over a span of 4 seconds.  Yes, 9 rounds, 4 seconds, all aimed (pointed?) shots.  Dead raccoon and no collateral damage, other than the blood.
Have to love those light-recoiling, 1/3 oz. loads.

There were no fewer than 15 holes in his ears from the shot.  IMHO, #9 is a bit light for raccoons.   It sounds about right to take 2 shells out of a 12 gage cylinder bore at 25 feetto dispatch a raccoon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#36]
they turn into pests/rodents real quick.

"If you feed them they will come..."

they can be some of the nastiest, most vicious little buggers out there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#37]
coon no match for 12 ga.That's MY .02$
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I used to coon hunting with my Uncles when I was around 13.  Pound for pound, they are the toughest critters you would ever want to run into.  The hounds put one up a tree once.  I shot it two times.  It fell out of the tree and the dogs, two of them, fought with it for about 15 minutes before they killed it.  We found out that each one of my shots with a .22 broke a hind leg.  That was one mean mother.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Trapped many and had some young-ins for pets when I was a kid...Kits make pretty good pets...its the older ones...specially the males that get real ornery..coons get along well in cities and arround man in general...cleaning up garbage being a speciality..big boars get mean...had a couple jump on our old black an tan..and he was a big B&T...try to tear his eyes out or get him into water over his head..The best thing about coons is a dog can usually tree them...then you can shine them and pop them with a 22...they are very easy to live trap...best bait Ive found was fried chicken left overs...the most humane way to dispose of them in a live trap is to drown them...(its true)
The worst thing about coons is..with fur prices down..and hunting pressure off ..and more people and more garbage..is the diseases these guys carry.. coon hound paralysis..got our old B&T...Rabies..coons often have rabies..and dystemper.. [image]http://whyfiles.org/086urban_critter/images/worms.jpg[/image] These round worms from racoons infect human brains...nasty bastards to [url]http://whyfiles.org/086urban_critter/3.html[/url] Be careful arround them once you live trap them...this disease is gaining a foot hold nation wide.. bad stuff...imo They cant bite through welding gloves ..but once you get a hold of them by the head they will try to scratch you..and their claws are sharp..they climb trees pretty fast..and the dieseases they can carry ..mostly from feces will be in their claws..which then can literaly "vaccinate" you with...agressive coons that have no or little fear of man..need to be disposed of ...carried off and burried somewhere...they do make nice hats when their fur is in "prime" if they dont have mange..and I have eaten them barbequed ..my old friends..still do..but do to the disease thing..I kinda lost my apetite for them...(I noticed that after one or two meals of them during the season even the hounds dont care to eat them and turn their noses up prefering their dog chow) Ifigured they might know something I dont so I quit eating them to...but my ole friends just scoff at that and blissfully barbeque them...bon apetite
View Quote

The round worms are fatal to humans.  There eggs are fouind in the fecis and last indefinately.  There crap should cleaned up while wearing dust masks and the tools used should be disposed of with the crap.

Don't encourage these critters to hang around.

There crap is as, or more, dangerous than the animal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#41]
I was getting wood from the pile last week and caught sight of some movement , upon closer inspection it was a racoon CONVULSING , he was big time rabid, until i came back out with the .380. that seemd to cure the rabies pretty fast. I was lucky as I have 2 kids (4 & 10) and 2 dogs , if any of them came in contact it would have been bad news. Digging in NY is december is no fun, plus having to wash everthing down with clorox to get rid of any germs when its below 30 outside.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Raccoons are not welcome anywhere near where I live.  There are too many of them so they will move in to your turf and steal food.

I have killed several after realizing that trapping and removal doesn't work.  2 shotshells will usually do the trick.

The first on I killed was with a .410 #6.  He took a load in the butt and climbed partway up a tree.  When he poked his head around for a peek, I shot him in the face.  He scrambled up the tree for a few seconds, then fell about 25 feet to his death.  He weighed 35 lbs!!!  No kidding!.  I needed both hands to move him.

The second one was killed with 2 shots from a 20 ga #6.  The first shot hit him in the butt, and he stopped to lick himself from the injury.  I had the flash light pointed at him, and took it off him for a second to pump the shotgun.  To my amazement, when I shined the light back on him, he had run about 20 feet farther under the cover of darkness.  He stopped as soon as the light hit him, and I finished him off.

Other raccoon kills were not so pretty.

I did use my AR on one last summer.  It also took two shots to finish him.

Tough bastards.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Never leave a live well with fish in it overnight at your favorite lake cabin. I learned the hard way at the expense of a vinyl seat/live well cover. The coon ate the entire vinyl around the live well trying to get to a Stripe on ice. He never got inside, but it looked like he had help with all the bits of vinyl and muddy coon prints everywhere. Next weekend I took a live trap and threw a Bream in the back of it near the boat house. Well it stormed hard all night, rained buckets. I skipped the early fishing trip due to the weather, and slept in, that is until my dog started raising hell at the dock. I went down there and had a coon! He had dug up the dirt as far as he could reach around the trap, even under the trap. He was drenched. I took him up to the house with my dog is tow, and decided the best way to let him out. I figured he would be-line as fast as he could away from me and the dog. Wrong! After opening the trap door, he stalked out and came up over the cage teeth and all, growling. I jumped back, and then the coon hauled ass, right up under and onto the frame of my truck. From there he walked the frame rail until he got into the engine compartment. He was not moving as long as the dog was around. He stayed there about 30 minutes until I fired up the engine. He must of got hot, because he bolted right to the neighbors car, which my dog could not get underneath. Long story, but funny if you were there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm tellin ya, 12ga to the face is a 1 shot kill.I used to coon hunt w/my best friend's dad
when I was younger,the grown-ups would let
me shoot the coon(I loved it)and if I didn't
kill it outright w/1 shot the dogs would tear that ass up when it fell out of the tree.I've seen some badass fights between coon vs. dog
and coons can put up a fight but the dogs would win every time.But coons CAN drowned a dog quick in water though(horrible thought).Y'all
making me wanna go coon huntin again. LOL
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Striker is correct about the possibility of rabies.
View Quote

Probability of rabies for each species varies from state to state. In Missouri, rabies is to be watched for in raccoons and skunks especially.  I don't remember the watch animals for Texas, but this definitely doesn't sound like a rabies case.

However, generally raccoons (as with most wild animals) avoid direct contact with humans, so if it is being overtly friendly, it may have been raised by humans (or dealt with by humans early on).  Even if that were true, it certainly doesn't make the situation any safer.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#47]
We had raccoons get into our attic.  After chasing them out we put pans of bleach up there and they still came back.

They made a mess and became regulars.
BB gun: ineffective
Airsoft: "   "
Pepper spray: out of range
Making lots of noise with pans, yelling etc.: moderately effective.

Paintball gun:  now, that's the ticket.

Outside, the water hose will usually run them off for a while.

As others have said, they are not easily intimidated and can get quite nasty when provoked.  

Cutting them off from the food supply (securely fastened garbage can lids for starters) is the way to get rid of them.  

My family had a similar problem and were told they had to be released some ridiculous distance (35 mi) away or they would come back.
troblem was made worse by neighbors who didn't even put lids on the garbage cans.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#48]
a coon is really a clean animal,not like a possum whom you will see sticking his blood coverd nasty head out of the bowels of a dead cow.. a coon washes his live game with his hands before eating.  dont let this fool you as when he hears the dogs or you comming he can tear a live catch cage like you use for dogs or cats apart in a jif!  he can also tear your best dog apart just as quick..i keep barn cats to keep mice out of the round bales ect. when it gets sub-zero i let the cats sleep on the enclosed back porch. looked out one night and a big old boar coon was sleeping right in the middle of al those cats looked up grinning(looked like kenny rogers).  well he was the coon that kept tearing into my bags of creep(cattle feed) wouldn't eat out of any one bag tore open a new one every night .  so i decided it was time to shoot him,used a marlin 29-a shot him with what should have been a killing shot to the head . it took all 17 22mini-mags before he finally breathed his last gasp....i'll never shoot a coon again with a 22, i didn't have a .223 then.  any way if hes wild you probably can't tame him any way..   and if you could it would be like haveing a damn monkey in the house as these things can use there fingers and opposing thumb,  get into every thing and probably turn on your tv  and shoot the house upwhen they come accross your gun.  just like living with a brother-in-law...
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 2:59:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Not a good idea to try and hand feed a coon. Have several stop by and eat the sunflower seed and cracked corn we put out for the squirrels. Never had a problem with them trying to get in the house or bite one of the family, we respect their space and just watch them from a distance. Raccoons can cary a disease that will kill domestic pets, can't remember the specific. I know of people who raise then in their homes and their only problem is the coon's curiosity rivals the most aggressive four year old human.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 3:03:33 AM EDT
[#50]
By the way, they love peach pie......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top