Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2002 8:25:25 AM EDT
A new Armalite AR-10T.  I can’t wait to get it!
[:)] [:)] [:)]

I was debating on getting the AR-10A2 20" (carry handle) with the heavy stainless barrel and match trigger ($1299 was a decent deal). I like the carry handle for brush carry and I would have saved myself $300.

I also wanted a 308 for 100yrd + hunting so I reasoned that I should have a flattop for optics. I could not find a AR-10A4 with the SS barrel and match trigger for that price.  
Finally I bit the bullet and went for the big one.
This thing is going to be damn heavy.  Especially after I get a bipod and optics on

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Boomholzer/ar10t.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I am...

[:P] [:X*] [(:|)] [>Q] [xx(] [^] [:|] [bounce] [heavy]

...green with envy!

Sweet piece, Boomholzer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
NICE!...and these folks seem to honor their 'lifetime' warrenty.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
NICE!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thx for the compliments!
I always wanted a SR-25, this will suffice.

Now I wait in anticipation for the thing to arrive. I even have some BH moly-coated .308 ammo (per Armalite's recommendation) on hand to break it in.

I have some M1A/M14 mags. Does anyone know how make the modifications themselves? I have access to a general machine shop. If drawings are available I would appreciate them. Either way, I definitely be interested in finding a source for cheap 20rnd Mags.

To follow the AR-15 tradition, I'll gonna need several mags and enough ammo for 3years of normal shooting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations, and welcome to the club Boomholzer. I think you're going to be very happy with it.  Here's a picture of mine.

[img]http://www.ntws.net/keldon/Pics/AR10T.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got an AR-10A4 on a clearance sale for $1000.  Welcome to the club Boomholzer!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
DonR,

Sweet! What do you have for optics on that? Looks like a 30mm tube in the pic.
The "recoil check" on that looks bad a$$.

Quoted:
I just got an AR-10A4 on a clearance sale for $1000.  Welcome to the club Boomholzer!
View Quote

Thank you Omega [:)]
Sweet price on that A4! For that price I would have went that way, saved some weight, and had my father mod the trigger and come out far-far ahead. Please let me know how it shoots and what ammo your putting throught it.

I tell ya, I've been thinking about shooting that thing ever since I made the phone call.

ETA to range report = 2weeks (pending $$ for optics)
I dont have a .308 bolt (win 100 auto) so I never spent much time reloading .308 rounds. I'll fuss with the factory stuff to narrow it down I guess.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I picked up an AR-10(T) in mid-December.  I was finally able to get out to the range last week.  It took almost the whole day for the first 100 rounds breaking it in, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Mine shoots sub MOA (easily) using Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grn.

I am very happy with that purchase.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
That is a fine rifle
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I want one too!!!!
I have to finish the 6 FAL kits I just got and sell them then I will get one...
Very cool.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Boom, Big Bear hit it right on the head. That's the Tasco Super Sniper. It is a 30 mm tube. I mounted it using the Armalite one piece scope mount. The covers also came from SWFA. If you're in White Settlement, you're only about 30 minutes from them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I have some M1A/M14 mags. Does anyone know how make the modifications themselves? I have access to a general machine shop. If drawings are available I would appreciate them.
View Quote

Per Armalite's Tech note #22:

CONVERSION INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Disassemble your M-14 magazine. Save the shell and follower as proof of conversion.

2. At the top of the follower spring, the end of the spring sticks out to the side. This material normally hooks into the M-14 follower. If used with the AR-10 follower, this section would rub on the inside of the magazine box. Cut the entire top coil of the spring off, leaving the new top straight across the front.

3. Insert the bolt catch trip spring and the bolt catch trip into the hole at the rear of the follower, with the beveled face of the trip to the rear and down. Make sure that the trip moves in and out of the follower without binding or catching.. Press the bolt catch trip into the follower and insert the follower about two inches into the new magazine box.

4. Place the follower spring in the magazine box so that the highest point is in the slot at the rear of the follower. Push the entire spring into the box, forcing the follower to rise, and hook the bottom of the spring into the magazine. As the bolt catch trip reaches the slot cut into the top rear of the magazine, it will extend from the magazine. When properly assembled, the magazine spring prevents the bolt catch trip from popping out of the follower.

If the magazine spring isn't installed so that it captures the bolt catch trip, the trip can pop completely out of the follower as the follower rises. If this happens, disassemble the magazine and try again. When everything is in place, install the floorplate.

Magazine assembly isn't as easy as it sounds. Some experimenting might be needed to get the magazine working well with your spring. [b]Test the magazine by shooting the rifle. [/b]
[sniper] Good luck! squib

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top