Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 9:48:20 PM EDT
In Texas they say you run them over....... I drove 1500 miles down there looking for one to no avail.  Before I left Washington I had never seen one, after 7 days on the highways I still have never seen one.  I stopped to look at roadkill on the highway to see if it was the illusive creature.... no dice.  I am beginning to believe they don't exist.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Well hell son, you never asked for no "Possum on the half shell" !
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard they carry some form of Leprosy, dont know if its true or not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well hell son, you never asked for no "Possum on the half shell" !
View Quote

[:D]  Did they'll serve that at Angelo's?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that an ATF document?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Armor Piercing Rounds
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, the dumb bastards get killed on the hiway because, when startled, their first reaction is to jump straight up into the air.  This is not a wise career move.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
In fact, the only two animals that can get leprosy are armadillos and humans. Armadillos have been used to research treatments and cures for leprosy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Actually, the dumb bastards get killed on the hiway because, when startled, their first reaction is to jump straight up into the air.  This is not a wise career move.
View Quote

Now let's talk about this........ I have told about a dozen people the story I heard down there about the guy who honked his horn while driving down the road at one in an RX7; Scared it and it jumped up came throught the window and decapitated him.  The locals here said that the stories are sure big in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#11]
You should be out hunting at night and stumble across one of these SOB's.  You sure won't have any problem telling what underwear you had on! [:D]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I smacked one in a '73 Carrera doin 'bout 110 on the '45 back about 1989.

Tore both front and rear bumpers off and split the muffler at the exhaust tips.

Thought I was a dead man! Nope, the 'dillo was though!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you buy that car at walmart?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You should be out hunting at night and stumble across one of these SOB's.  You sure won't have any problem telling what underwear you had on! [:D]
View Quote

Nobody offered to take me hunting, however I am an excellent [s]drinker[/s] driver [:D]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
How do Armadillo's taste?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]
One lousy citation......... And I'm Jack the fucking ripper!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I've bought all of my Porsches and Alfas at WalMart. The guys in the auto section really know their stuff!! Threw in an extra set of curb feelers too. Nice guys, those WalMart associates.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
EEt's lyk a Sooop...
View Quote

rotflmao
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've bought all of my Porsches and Alfas at WalMart. The guys in the auto section really know their stuff!! Threw in an extra set of curb feelers too. Nice guys, those WalMart associates.
View Quote

This is really gonna kill me but,........... do you really own those cars then, ask about the great deals on a Winchester Black Shadow at walmart?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell yes!

Are you kidding me? Who the hell would pass up a deal on a rifle that you could shoot the hell out of and not worry about?

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#24]
And for the record I also have a couple of rusty, "OH GOD, PLEASE LET ME MAKE IT HOME!", beat to death pickups too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hell yes!

Are you kidding me? Who the hell would pass up a deal on a rifle that you could shoot the hell out of and not worry about?

View Quote

You must be richer than six feet up a bulls ass.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I use 45 ACP!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I shot one rooting up my front yard at 2:00 A.M. once. What a mess. It did the jumping thing and commenced to spraying blood all over my front porch and the front of my house before expiring. My wife was [i]NOT[/i] amused.

On another note, they do not [b]carry[/b] leprosy, but have the dubious distintion of being able to be infected by leprosy.

I have known a few people who do eat them, but my cast-iron gut won't allow me. They tell me it's akin to eating swamp rabbit, but greasier.

A .22 rimfire is sufficient to kill them (I have never had it fail me), but larger things like centerfire handgun calibers, deer rifle calibers, etc. always produce the most spectacular results.

The armadillo is one item that I wish Texas would take back and take it back NOW.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#28]
How can you be infected by leprosy and not carry it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:12:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Where is their source of leprosy? Been hugging on armadillos lately?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#30]
According to MSN Encarta:
The bacteria can grow to a limited extent in the relatively cool hind footpad of the mouse, allowing scientists to test new anti-leprosy drugs. It grows in enormous numbers throughout the body of the nine-banded armadillo, an animal that has a body temperature several degrees cooler than that of humans. In fact, recent studies have shown that, in some areas of Louisiana and Texas, one-quarter of the wild population of armadillos is infected with the leprosy bacterium. Growth of the bacteria in the spleen, liver, and other internal organs can eventually prove fatal for these animals. Scientists do not know whether armadillos can transmit the disease to humans. But even if they can do so, they are not essential in spreading the disease because they do not live in Africa, Asia, or India, where the disease is most prevalent. Although the bacteria will grow in mice and armadillos, neither of these animals develops nerve damage and other symptoms typical of human leprosy. This means that although the animals can help test new drugs or serve as bacteria “factories,” they are poor models to help scientists understand how the disease develops in humans.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Gunnrunner....

You must be blinder than my grandmother's backside.  EVERY gunshow in Texas has stuffed armadillos holding Lone Star beer bottles.

You did go to a gun show, right?

The primary reason you did not see an armadillo is because they are NOCTURNAL.  Judging from how quickly you 'tapered off' on the beer at my place, I suspect you were laid out like a ton of cordwood prior to an armadillo's breakfast call.

By the way, I didn't notice you making fun of Texan's accents while you were surrounded by ARMED Texans...  ROFLMAO!

Guess next time you come to Texas you should skip the BBQ and just ask to go Dillo Huntin'.

No kidding about crapping your pants when they JUMP out of thick brush 3 feet from ya!

They are nearly blind and mostly deaf.  They hunt by smelling worms in the ground.  Worms stay in deep, soft, dank soil covered with oak leaves.  Armadillo's have their mind six inches under the soil, they ain't expectin' to smell/hear you no more than you are expectin' to see them.  Wheew!  Pant's crappin' time for sure!

TheRedGoat

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey!

BTFW.  Shouldn't this thread be locked?  I like armadillos.  Who needs to know how to kill them?  There is not a season for armadillos and they are a protected species (ie. no season = no hunting)

[url]http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/dasynove.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prairie/faq/nongame/nongame1.htm[/url]

FROM Texas Parks and Wildlife:

Non-Game refers to all the animals that have no legal hunting season. The species that are not hunted like robins, lizards, armadillos, etc. They are all protected by law.

Uhmmm, excuse me moderators, could I get a side of fries with that double standard?

ROFLMAO

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I believe they're considered 'nuisance livestock' down here. I sure hate the way they dig up the place around the house. Just the right thing for a horse to break a leg in!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#34]
In Florida, it is said that they were put here to die for our sins.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Texans or Armadillos? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey!

BTFW.  Shouldn't this thread be locked?  I like armadillos.  Who needs to know how to kill them?  There is not a season for armadillos and they are a protected species (ie. no season = no hunting)

[url]http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/dasynove.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prairie/faq/nongame/nongame1.htm[/url]

FROM Texas Parks and Wildlife:

Non-Game refers to all the animals that have no legal hunting season. The species that are not hunted like robins, lizards, armadillos, etc. They are all protected by law.

Uhmmm, excuse me moderators, could I get a side of fries with that double standard?

ROFLMAO

TheRedGoat
View Quote

Not quite.  They are NOT protected on PRIVATE property[URL]http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/regs/02_regs/nongame.htm[/URL] but posession of live animals is restricted.

I have caught these animals by hand and have shot them.  A .22 LR is adequate, provided they are not near their burrow.  No, I have never had leprosy.

They have the nickname "Hoover hog" as they were a common bush meat during the Great Depression (in reference to President H. Hoover, blamed by Texas Demo(n)cRATS for the Depression)
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Armadillo hunting is one of the funnest things you'll ever do if you go somewhere that has plenty of em.  The funnest part is firing a round next to them and chasing them down with AR's blasting.  They are able to run just a little faster than a fairly quick person.  
I don't see what's to be scared of.  I had one (stupid little bastard) come out of a bush 3 feet behind me and walk out into the trail.  He looked at me and stood up to sniff, then went on sniffing for grubs.  I didn't have anything to kill him with; no gun, no knife, no stick, nothing, so I just ran towards him and he took off.  We've gone out to some freshly cut corn fields to spotlight them.  We don't use guns, we use baseball bats, lol.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't confuse me with the facts, Keith_J.  I have already made up my mind!

ROFLMAO

TheRedGoat

PS.  Now I don't feel like such a hypocrite for blasting a few armored-dillos in my mispent youth.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Arock's got a damned funny deer hunting story involving a 'dillo that I heard on the road to Operation Infinite Brisket.

How 'boutcha, Arock?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you buy that car at walmart?
View Quote

I hear they only sell factory seconds.

[stick]

Av.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In Florida, it is said that they were put here to die for our sins.
View Quote

Texans or Armadillos? [;)]

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Gunnrunner....

You must be blinder than my grandmother's backside.  EVERY gunshow in Texas has stuffed armadillos holding Lone Star beer bottles.

You did go to a gun show, right?

TheRedGoat

View Quote

Yea and I saw quite a few jackalopes too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL...will definately seperate the men from the boys. Happened to me a bunch of times on the way to my stand over the years. [shock]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#44]
You need to get one of them specially trained woodpeckers.  What do they call them?  Peccadillos.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

No dude - that's Auburn you're thinking of !
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How can you be infected by leprosy and not carry it?
View Quote

Someone will get back to you on that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Besides being a slap at the gov't, the term Hoover Hog refers to their meat. Armadillo meat reminds you of of ham, real pink and a similar consistency.

They can be caught by hand, being especially easy in a populated area. You often see one rooting along, working his way down a fence line or alongside a building. Circle around well ahead of him until you're standing in his predicted path. As long as you remain motionless he may even walk up and start sniffing your boots. Quickly  him by the tail and lift him straight up. His body weight won't allow him to reach you with his front digging claws as he thrashes around.

Be sure you grab the tail with both hands. These things are surprisingly heavy and their tail is sharply tapered, smooth and usually coated in mud. Be ready, because when you latch on to him it'll be like trying to hang on to a live sand bag.

Now you go put him in your buddy's unlocked car :)
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In Texas they say you run them over....... I drove 1500 miles down there looking for one to no avail.  Before I left Washington I had never seen one, after 7 days on the highways I still have never seen one.  I stopped to look at roadkill on the highway to see if it was the illusive creature.... no dice.  I am beginning to believe they don't exist.
View Quote

Try Florida.  I just got back from there and saw one on the golf course.  Was able to walk right up to within about 3 feet of the thing without it even responding to me at all. Didn't want to get closer since I didn't know if it would attack me or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top