Posted: 1/14/2002 6:43:49 PM EDT
Islam Studies Required In
California School District -
Parents Outraged
Course Has 7th-graders Memorizing
Koran Verses, Praying To Allah
©2002 WorldNetDaily.com
1-12-2

In the wake of Sept. 11, an increasing number of California public school students must attend an intensive three-week course on Islam, reports http://www.assist-ministries.com/ ASSIST News Service.

The course mandates that seventh-graders learn the tenets of Islam, study the important figures of the faith, wear a robe, adopt a Muslim name and stage their own jihad. Adding to this apparent hypocrisy, reports ANS, students must memorize many verses in the Koran, are taught to pray "in the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful" and are instructed to chant, "Praise to Allah, Lord of Creation."

"We could never teach Christianity like this," one outraged parent told ANS.

Elizabeth Christina Lemings, a teacher in the Byron, Calif., Union School District, was unaware of the course until her seventh-grade son brought home the handouts. Obtained by ANS, the handouts include a history of Islam and the life of Mohammad, its founder. There are 25 Islamic terms that must be memorized, six Islamic (Arabic) phrases, 20 Islamic proverbs to learn along with the Five Pillars of Faith and 10 key Islamic prophets and disciples to be studied.

"We can't even mention the name of Jesus in the public schools," Lemings laments, "but ... they teach Islam as the true religion, and students are taught about Islam and how to pray to Allah. Can you imagine the barrage of lawsuits and problems we would have from the ACLU if Christianity were taught in the public schools, and if we tried to teach about the contributions of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and the Apostle Paul? But when it comes to furthering the Islamic religion in the public schools, there is not one word from the ACLU, People for the American Way or anybody else. This is hypocrisy."

ANS reports that students are to pretend that they are Muslims, wear Muslim clothing to school, stage their own jihad via a dice game and pick out a Muslim name (to replace their own) from a list of 30.

When asked what they thought about the course, students described it as "fun," while others described Islam as "a pretty culture." Joseph Lemings, 12, told ANS, "the jihad was like playing a video game."

The "fun" description disturbs Elizabeth Lemings, who sees the course as a tool, not only to engender sympathy and support for the Muslim cause, but for recruitment.

"This is not just a class of history of examining culture," she said. "This course is entirely too specific. It is more about indoctrination."

Nancy Castro, principal of Intermediate-Excelsior School of Byron, told ANS that the Islam course (included within "History of Culture") reflects California educational standards. Castro maintains the course "is not religion, but ancient culture and history. We do not endorse any religion; we just make students aware." Castro further emphasized the course textbook is in use throughout California.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
(cont.)

The textbook used for the Islamic course, "Across The Centuries," is published by Houghton-Mifflin and has been adopted by the California school system. In it, according to ANS, Islam is presented broadly in a completely positive manner, whereas the limited references to Christianity are "shown in a negative light, with events such as the Inquisition, and the Salem witch hunts highlighted in bold, black type." ANS notes the portrayal of Islam leaves out word of "the wars, massacres, cruelties against Christians and other non-Muslims that Islam has consistently perpetrated over the centuries."

Asked if there was any response from parents about the Islam course, Castro told ANS, "Oh, a couple of parents called to express concerns, three to be exact."

http://worldnetdaily.com  

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
[puke]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.assist-ministries.com/Stories/s02010019.htm[/url]

I saw this story on the news last night, and think the claims are probably exaggerated.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
i hope their using eubonics.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What the hell type of administration do they have out there in CA?

I'm surprised the whole school board isn't voted out in the next election.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url]www.assist-ministries.com/Stories/s02010019.htm[/url]

I saw this story on the news last night, and think the claims are probably exaggerated.  
View Quote

exaggerations, as with stereotypes, are always rooted in some sort of truth.  while the students may not actually be praying to Allah as the article stated early on, i have little doubt that they are encouraged to become immersed in the faith.  i'm only surprised this didn't happen in massachusetts, though for all i know, it might have.

i can understand including a background level of information regarding Islam in a history course, as it cannot be denied that religion is the root of many historical events.  and in some cases, those historical events seem nonsensical unless viewed through the lenses of a religion.  but the problem is that Christianity is not viewed in the same manner.  how often is it that you hear about children being asked to adopt the name of one of the twelve disciples?  or to dress as their favorite Biblical character?  or to stage their own Crusade via a dice game.  you don't.  in fact, you can't even mention "God" or "Jesus" in the public schools, let alone teach about Christianity in any historical sense.

the article was right:  it's about indoctrination.  raising sympathy and support for the Muslims.  and i would not rule out an attempt at recruitment either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Nuke Kali....
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Leave it to the Democrats to be PC.

Other than Monterey & Carmel, there just isn't very much appealing about CA.

I think its just a test center/model to see what they can get away with & apply to the rest of the country.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a perfect example of the stupidity thriving in the PRK. Althoug, as far as the articles mention of Allah being a pagan god, go ask a muslim (I know several) and they will tell you...Allah is "God" in their language. The same God of Jews and Christians, they even use the first few books of the Bible (the first 4 I think, but I could be wrong) and believe in the creation and so on. As a Christian, I may disagree with their faith, but lets at least disagree on facts, not lies.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Nuke Sacramento and Berkley.

San Diego and Northern Claifornia are on our side. unfortunately, the Coatal area controls the state.

Ever wonder why the land seems to drop off right where the Liberal Area begins ? It is gods Flood here point.

Why is it that LA to SF is lower than the rest of the coastline and it seemingly is lower until you reach COnservative areas.

I'll post a Topographic map as soon as I can find one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/topo/img/ca.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a picture of PRK if the lowlying areas were flooded. I prefer this one.

[img]http://home.noreno.org:800/ca2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is a picture of PRK if the lowlying areas were flooded. I prefer this one.

[img]http://home.noreno.org:800/ca2.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Dear God, that is the most beautiful sight I have ever seen!

[>(]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if john walker took any of these classes. And hey lets be fair, when do they start voodoo witch doctor sem., or the worship the sun classes start? [uzi]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top