Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 4:56:35 PM EDT
[url]http://www.ussportsmen.org/interactive/features/Read.cfm?ID=724[/url]

Looks like we won this one guys!  

This still does not get them off the hook for making it in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
High fives all around!!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring back the CJs, and I'll start buying, Chrysler!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
“[i]This is concrete proof that the sportsman’s voice should not be taken lightly,[/i]” said Rick Story, vice president of the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance. “[i]When the voices of the millions of sportsmen in this country all speak as one, a great deal can be accomplished.[/i]”

... Damn right we can!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You know what really amazes me? They spend a fortune researching this stuff; they have Ad. agency review teams and focus groups to check it out before they even show the client. And then the client (with their own marketing advisors) gives the Ad. final approval – what a bunch of *ssholes, the lot of them!

It reminds me of another faux pas that went through the same process: They marketed the Chevy Nova in México without changing the name. In Spanish, No va means "no go"! You can image the surge in demand that resulted.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
good, now i have [b]2[/b] reasons to call hte jeep liberty a fag mobile.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
No, it's not a rumour. I've  lived in México for seven years and they still talk about it here. Futhermore, there are no accents involved:

No va, in Spanish, simply means (it / he / she) "won't go".
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Burst my little bubble? Don't sweat it – hardly a pop ws heard!

What research are you suggesting – since we both agree that GM tried to market a car named "won't go"?

Since we both agree that no va means "won't go", are you saying that i should research if GM did, or did not try to market a car with such a name in México?

If the car sold in México, it was on its own merits – despite a marketing faux pas. And such issues are the point of this thread – are they not.

Frankly, I cannot see the rationale for your post!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

His rational is that you assumed the name hurt the sales. There is no proof of this - how can you compare sales to a non-existing product (in this case: same car, different name).

Spelled phonetically with the stressed syllable in caps, "No go" would be "no VAH" while "Nova" would be "NO vuh"

I think we can all admit the similarity is humorous though. Reminds me of the SNL skit where Sean Connery is playing Jeopardy. The category is "Therapists" Connery accidentally refers to it as "The Rapists." While funny, we all understood it was not meant to be pronounced that way.

Heck, let us not forget that Dodge introduced a car in the US called the "Impact." I would rather have a "No Go" than an "Impact"

Oh yeah,
[beer]
Here's to victory over the idiots at Chrysler that bought that add. Let's hope heads roll.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
they have Ad. agency review teams and focus groups
View Quote

Anyone want to bet that the ad agency and focus groups were from somewhere like Los Angeles or NY City where most of the urban dwellers think their meat comes factory grown in styrofoam and plastic wrap.

A suggestion for Jeep (or one of their competetors to profit from it)is to give a coupon out for $100 or $200 off of a rifle costing more than $500 or $1000, and say "See, we support sportsmen".
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Adam,

I appreciate you trying to clarify the situation.

However, I might suggest that if you apply the same logic to the Jeep Ad. you would similarly destroy the veracity of this thread, i.e. how would you, or Jeep, know if thety would have lost sales if they had continued to use the Ad?

Frankly, I don't need to do much research regarding the Nova – people simply mention it here as something that was stupid and showed how little concern Chevy paid to the sensibilities of their potential Méxicn market. Again, it was not about the vehicle itself, ultimate sales were based on the vehicles merits, it was the marketing I was commenting on.

Just as Jeep showed so little concern about their "hunter market". I was simply attempting to underscore the same stupidity of marketers in a different arena.

And I certainly not anticipate an entirely unwarranted, ignorant and condescending response like: "Sorry to burst your little bubble" – from anyone!

Finally Adam, your comments regarding the phonetics of Nova are largely irrelevant: It's like saying if you name a car:  Won't go; will not go; no go; not go – would make any difference. And if you want to say "won't go"  in Spanish, I assure you, "Nova" would be CLEARLY understood by all.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You know what really amazes me? They spend a fortune researching this stuff; they have Ad. agency review teams and focus groups to check it out before they even show the client. And then the client (with their own marketing advisors) gives the Ad. final approval – what a bunch of *ssholes, the lot of them!

It reminds me of another faux pas that went through the same process: They marketed the Chevy Nova in México without changing the name. In Spanish, No va means "no go"! You can image the surge in demand that resulted.
View Quote

Truly incomprehensible.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]
5subslr5,

Sorry if it was not as clear to you as it apparently was to others.

I really don't how I can help...perhaps if I pointed out that I was writing about the advertising review process???

Perhaps, if I pointed out that this thread is about an advertisement, my comments may have been a little more comprehensible to you???

Sorry, I don't do route maps!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

His rational is that you assumed the name hurt the sales. There is no proof of this - how can you compare sales to a non-existing product (in this case: same car, different name).

Spelled phonetically with the stressed syllable in caps, "No go" would be "no VAH" while "Nova" would be "NO vuh"
View Quote

Oh, sure, and justbecause some stupidgringo runsacouple of wordstogether means that the Mexicans don't recognizethesimilarity in sounds or that thespelling is the same as "no va" runtogether.

I guess it would be pointless to mention that Rolls Royce didn't sell very many Silver Mist cars in Germany.  "Vas?  Der silber scheisse?  Ach du lieber!"

Heck, let us not forget that Dodge introduced a car in the US called the "Impact." I would rather have a "No Go" than an "Impact"
View Quote

That was GM.  Their prototype electric vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Jeep still sucks.

And:

Ban all Jeeps.

For the children.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
they have Ad. agency review teams and focus groups
View Quote

Anyone want to bet that the ad agency and focus groups were from somewhere like Los Angeles or NY City where most of the urban dwellers think their meat comes factory grown in styrofoam and plastic wrap.
View Quote

I think you get the cookie! And if it were up to them, the meat would be replaced with a soy based meat substitute wrapped in easily recyclable cardboard and biodegradable wrapping.

Av.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#20]
i e-mailed them, and i'm glad they pulled the ad. i don't really care what German Liberals temporarily run the show at DiamlerChrysler, i will always buy open-top Jeep vehicles as long as they make them. it is a tradition that began in my home state of PA in time of crisis by an all American team. one ad agency f-up does not wipe all that away, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Now, I think it is time for us to go on the offensive. We should all write Daimler-Chrysler and Jeep and tell them that we won't buy another Chrysler or Jeep product until they really show us that they support sportsmen, perhaps with the rifle coupon mentioned before or by donating a sizeable chunk of change to the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, Ducks Unlimited, NRA, etc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now, I think it is time for us to go on the offensive. We should all write Daimler-Chrysler and Jeep and tell them that we won't buy another Chrysler or Jeep product until they really show us that they support sportsmen, perhaps with the rifle coupon mentioned before or by donating a sizeable chunk of change to the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, Ducks Unlimited, NRA, etc.
View Quote

THIS man is a visionary. [beer]

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which car company does this?  I would think that none probably do, and I do need a car.  I think that it is fine that they pulled the ad.  I won't hold it against them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Hunters get all the brakes,what about about guys like me that buy food from the store and still want guns anyway?
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#25]
good deal! Now I feel like my voice was actually heard, well, my keyboard anyway!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe this is old news, but may be of interest to someone:

Dear Carbine_Man:

Thank you for your comments regarding our 30-second Jeep Grand Cherokee
television commercial.  We value your opinion and appreciate your willingness
to share it with us.  

As you know, outdoor activities and communing with the environment are both
basic to the DNA of the Jeep brand.  That is why for many years Jeep has
sponsored and supported a wide range of outdoor events and activities.  

With this in mind, we created the spot to communicate the key attributes of
Jeep ÿ off-road capability, ruggedness, safety and security.  Because of our
innate involvement with nature and outdoor activities, we felt we could use
the hunting analogy in a tongue-in-cheek way to highlight the ÿgo anywhere, do
anythingÿ capability of Jeep vehicles.  

Unfortunately, we did not anticipate this story line would evoke such negative
emotion among some viewers.  That was never intended. We apologize if we
inadvertently offended any individual or group. Obviously we underestimated
the sensitivity of this issue.  

Jeep, as the embodiment of the great outdoors, does not want to damage our
relationship with any groups or individuals that love, appreciate and enjoy
outdoor activities.  Nor do we want to damage our relationship with our loyal
customers or prospects who reside on either side of this issue.  Therefore,
because this is so emotionally charged, we will no longer continue this
campaign.  

Again, thank you for sharing your views with us.  We hope this clarifies our
position.  

Respectfully,  

Jeff Bell
Vice President
Marketing Communications
DaimlerChrysler
View Quote

Nice to win one once in a while.  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Is it just me....

or do you feel talked down to when Jeep refers to the "negative
emotion among some viewers" or  "the sensitivity of this issue."????

Its like they are saying we are overly emotional and sensitive.

Now if they had offended a environazi group, they have worded it to say THEY (Jeep) were insensitive and they were at fault. They would never hint that environazis were "emotional" or "sensitive."

Am I reding too much in?? Thats just the flavor I get from their letter.

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes the client simply dictates to the agency what they want reguardless of the agency's research and advice.  It usually causes campaigns to fail badly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey I signed the petition, Im pissed off that Jeep would be stupid enough to make fun of hunters, who buy Jeeps to get into the woods, But I also have to say that I Love my Jeep!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top