Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 2:17:03 PM EDT
[b]Pregnant Woman Survives After Getting Impaled[/b]

LONDON (Reuters) - A heavily-pregnant woman has survived being speared through the chest by a wooden stake which narrowly missed her heart and unborn child, newspapers reported on Monday.

Astrid Oates, 20, was impaled on a fence post after the driver of the car she was traveling in swerved to avoid a fox on a Devon road in western England, the Daily Mirror said.

The car smashed through a wooden fence and one of the posts shattered and speared her through her right breast.

``I don't remember much about it and I did not feel the post going through me,'' she told the paper from her hospital bed.

Astrid, a chef from Bournemouth in southern England, said she kept asking rescue workers at the scene about the post in her body.

``They were just telling me to leave it alone. But who is going to listen to that when you have got a stake sticking out of you?'' she said.

Doctors have told the 8-months pregnant woman her unborn child, a boy, is fine and will probably be born naturally at full-term.

She was trapped in the wrecked car for over an hour after the accident on Saturday before firefighters cut away a large chunk of the stake so they could free her.

It took surgeons four hours to remove a remaining six-inch by one-inch spear of wood which was lodged close to major organs.

The car's 38-year old male driver suffered a shoulder injury but was allowed home after treatment.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How'd the fox make out? [:D]
View Quote

Come on man, have some respect. She eight months pregnant for Christ's sake![}:D]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Ooh!  [i]That's[/i] gonna leave a mark!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That's gonna leave a mark!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't it be ironic if she was one of the protesters who's trying to end fox hunting in England.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad all concerned will apparently be OK, but expect a few sore days, I'm sure.

I'd never be likely to swerve to avoid a small animal.   If it's a squirrel, I'll swerve in order to HIT it, not miss!   I really hate those little bushy-tailed rats.   But that's not fair to the rats, because a rat can be a pretty cool (and mild mannered) pet.

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top