Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2002 12:09:16 PM EDT
I was rushing through Wal Mart the other day and saw these.  Thought they may come in handy during camping trips, hurricanes, or whatever.  Anyone know the shelf life of these little propane tanks?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was rushing through Wal Mart the other day and saw these.  Thought they may come in handy during camping trips, hurricanes, or whatever.  Anyone know the shelf life of these little propane tanks?  Thanks.
View Quote

I bought some in early 1999 for "Y2Kay, maybe not", and they were still plenty good as of this September. I camp alot, and yes, they are very handy for the little range stove that makes life so nice.

I imagine they go boom, too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been using one to light the forge that has a date of 1978 on it. It lurked in the shop when I bought the house. Was half used (previous owner was a pipe fitter), but still works fine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I still have some that I bought in the late 80's. I now have a small scale to check which one I want to use when. I bet I have 20-30 at diffrent levels hanging around.  Everything I buy, I make sure runs on those things: stoves, lamps, bbq's, etc.....  I even saw a small fridge that they hook-up to.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have been using one to light the forge that has a date of 1978 on it. It lurked in the shop when I bought the house. Was half used (previous owner was a pipe fitter), but still works fine.
View Quote

1978?!?!  WOW.  I was hoping they would last at least 5 years.  This is great.  I guess it's time to stock up on a few of these.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to work for Ultramar Oil Co. Long Beach CA before they merged with Diamond Shamrock, San Antonio TX, and Phillips, Oklahoma OK. I spoke with one of those guys that know about this stuff, and he says that butane & propane are a basic component in the making of gasoline. Gasoline will break down(if you don't use a preservative) over time because of its long molecules splits into shorter ones, but butane & propane will last indefinitely.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several in my basement that I still use for light when the power goes out. I bought them at Wally World in 1992.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You can order an adapter from northern hyd to refill them from a gas grill bottle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top